Topic

Cleveland National Forest Weekender

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Cleveland National Forest Weekender

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

Here is my starter list (excluding consumables) for 1-3 night trips to the Cleveland National Forest in Southern California… Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm sure some of my weights are off, but my scale should show up in a couple days so I can actually check everything.

Also, I've heard there might be no water to be had on this trip, so I was wondering what advice I could get on how much water to bring for a person for a day of hiking (think 6-9 miles), assuming you need to supply for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am going to pick up a guidebook/map in the next couple days, but just an idea would be great.

Thanks for the help!

CNF Starter Gear List

*the 6.4 oz for fuel is the gross of a 4 net oz snowpeak giga canister, i think anyway

Edit: I just realized I have no plates or utensils in here, so I do know i need to add them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A knife and the Skeletool, ditch at least one. Goretex boots! Just wear tennies. Then you can leave the sandals at home. What are you planning on excavating with a ten ounce shovel? My Montbell trowel is 1.4 ounces. Try freezer bag cooking and leave most of the cookware at home. Where you going out there? Probably won't need the hooded down jacket this time of year. If those are extra shorts, boxers and shirt leave them behind. How much water capacity in that Nalgene? Those Leki poles. The weights are for each pole, are they not?

Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

On there, I'm taking one pole at 7 oz, and no skeletool, just the small knife (this is my first effort at a list so i didn't get this thing to hide gear I'm not taking… The number in the "Take" column is if/how many I'm taking.) the hooded jacket is actually not for me, mostly just insurance against the girlfriend getting cold and then not wanting to go camping again. The nalgenes (2) are 32 oz capacity.

Also, I have no idea how much a shovel weighs so i was just making an uneducated guess there.

Anyone have experience with this guy?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Test out the blue pad on a hard surface before your trip. I find the Ridgerest much more comfortable.

I use a sturdy and long stick to dig cat holes. Rocks with an edge, trekking poles, and tent stakes also work well. This is my experience in Eastern US forests.

I think you'd enjoy a lighter pack, and using something like a plastic Gatorade bottle would save a few ounces over the Nalgene.

Add a pealess whistle, topo map, compass, and sunglasses. Lighters do fail sometimes, so having a second one, matches, or a firesteel as a backup is a good idea.

I'm not familiar with the temperatures and terrain you'll be in, but you'll need a minimum of 4 quarts per day ***(edit: per person)*** beyond what you use for food prep and washing. See if you can cache some water. Talk to national forest staff and see if they have ideas for how to obtain water or access routes for caching it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Orange plastic trowel. Those weigh 3oz if I'm not mistaken.

Kyle Dickerson

@kyledickerson

Aether 85? Are you planning on hauling a dead body out there to be buried? That pack is way overkill for anything in Socal.

Also, there is still water in some places in Cleveland Nat'l Forest. Kitchen Creek and Pine Creek both still have water flowing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools