Topic

Pillows? Multi-use head padding? What do you do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Pillows? Multi-use head padding? What do you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Travis Naibert

@outwest

I have switched from a 15 degree down sleeping bag to a MYOG climashield quilt this summer, which has decreased my base weight by almost 1.5 lbs. I would rate my quilt at about 45 degrees with no clothes. On my last trip in the mountains I had to wear my puffy top under the quilt on a ~35 degree night, which is exactly as I had planned to use this quilt.

Unfortunately I historically have used my puffy as a pillow, and I had a hard time sleeping without something under my head. My rain jacket was not a particularly good substitute. So while I was warm, I was not comfortable.

I know that a lot of people don't carry any more clothes than they need and often wear their clothes to sleep in. What do you guys use as a pillow when you are wearing all your fluffy layers?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Montbell inflatable pillow with a Buff as a pillowcase. A couple of ounces is worth a no hassle good nights sleep to me.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I use a Thermarest Lite Seat. When using my frameless pack it serves three functions: frame support for the pack, sitpad, and a pillow.

For the pillow, this is what I do: When fully inflated I open the valve, then fold it in half and rest my head on it until the firmness is right where I want it. Then I close the valve. It keeps its shape really well, so it actually has a little depression that cradles my head nicely.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Personally, I wouldn't want to sleep in the pants, shirt, and socks that I hike in. The pants and shirt are sticky with sweat, and the socks are usually wet by the end of the day. For sleeping, I change into long johns and clean socks. This frees up the daytime clothes for use as a pillow. Stuff sacks can be pretty darn light, especially if you're willing to pay for cuben.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I ran into the same problem at some point and turned to the Granite Gear "pillowsack," which they also seem to call a "dreamsack." You can use it as a stuff sack for your quilt (if you use a stuff sack) during the day and stuff your pants and other odd clothing pieces in it at night. It's only 2oz and I like the feel of the fleece since I'm a back/side/face sleeper.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Dreamsack-P80.aspx

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

I use one of those inflatable pillows from here (the twin one) and wrap whatever clothing/cloth that is not hanging out … my pack is usually undr my feet and day clothes are generally hanging up to dry or destink… and while wet kit is sometimes available it is too small to be a comfortable pillow.
    I agree that comfort is a big thing as I get wiser!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I use my fold my hands like in prayer and use them for a pillow. Also, I have used my pack as a pillow or a book if I've brought a novel. Or I sleep on my back.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I read once here about someone using a water wing as a pilow. I went out a got a pair for 1.99. You cut it in half where the two inflatable sides are seam sealed. You now have a one ounce pillow for 1 dollar. It can also be used as an emergency water container.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have made a few of those water wings pillows. I used to wrap some clothing around them and put them inside a stuff sack.
    On one or two I glued some foam to it as well. Not bad at all. (particularly value for money)
    Now I use the Montbell pillow.
    Franco

Travis Naibert

@outwest

everyone for the input.

I will try the water wing pillow this week, as I can readily get one for cheap. I was hoping not to have to spend a lot (any?) money on a pillow solution, but it seems that a lot of people are using dedicated pillows, which I think is probably the direction I will go. Unlike some of you who responded I always hike in shorts or nylon pants and also always sleep in them. And my socks smell bad enough to avoid using them as a pillow, though maybe inside a stuff sack would be ok. I probably need a real small stuff sack to achieve a thick enough pillow, do you all really get enough loft putting clothes in a quilt size stuff sack?

Just trying to avoid bringing an extra layer solely for use as a pillow.

Has anybody tried sleeping on water containers? I tried my platypus out the other night at home but it is really krinkly and kind of annoying.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Travis,

I don't care for air mattresses or pillows, but works for me is putting my shoes under my bivy bag as a pillow.

I then might take a stuff bag with my windshirt, which I don't like to sleep in (too humid/vapor barrier clothing like), rain mitts, gloves, etc….and put it under my head in the bivy.

Gives me the elevation that I need.

I am a back sleeper and I sleep like a dead log, so I don't move much and I sleep in my hiking clothing.

I do find that the BPL Green Hoodie gives me extra warmth wtih the hood on and eliminates the yucky feeling of skin against a plastic stuff bag.

It is what works for me….hope it helps.

-Tony

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools