Topic

Crazy Mountains, Montana

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Crazy Mountains, Montana

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Crazies are an often looked over range that lie between Bozeman and Billing. lots of trout filled alpine lakes, lots of wildlife including a large population of mountain goats

started at the Big Timber Ck trailhead (finished there as well)

Big Timber Creek, rolling pretty good for late July

Photobucket

Upper Twin Lake

Photobucket

at Conical Peak Pass

Photobucket

lots of post holing to get there (again a little unusual for late July)

Photobucket

Glacier Lake

Photobucket

South Fork of Sweetgrass Ck

Photobucket

Moose Lake

Photobucket

my humble camp at Moose Lake

Photobucket

"it's nice going light" shot :)

Photobucket

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

Sweet. Love the pics. Nice pic of the Ion in the UL salute. I am in the process of tricking my Ion out.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thanks for sharing a trip from up in the Crazies, Mike. It's definitely an overlooked range but a worthwhile destination. I was up there summer before last and almost headed up there for some skiing two weeks ago. Looks like I would've been happy with the snow so perhaps I'll try to find some turns up that way in September.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

They are a nice range, aren't they?

Thanks for the report and pics Mike.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Wow, there looks to be a lot more snow there than there was in the Spanish Peaks when we were there around the same time. Once we got up over 7200 ft, we didn't see another soul.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the Crazies were pretty desolate this trip as well- it was actually a work assignment (checking fishermen) :) , I found a few folks at Blue and Granite Lakes on the way in, but they were the last folks I saw for the rest of the trip

my wife and I are headed back that way for her birthday this month, I'll be the one doing the fishing this time! :D

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

Great trip and photos, Mike. Thanks for sharing!

John Penca

@johntp

Oh Man! Spent some time in Billings in 2005 and the Crazies were on my list of places to go. Unfortunately work got in the way.

Thanks for the pics. How was the road to the trailhead? I read it can be ugly.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I don't what I enjoy better Mike, your trip report, or the name of the mountains you spent your trip in, The Crazy Mountains! That's awesome…no sorry, crazy. It looks like you were able to pack nice and UL on this trip, your shelter setup is my flavor. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Legend has it that they were named after a white woman whose family was massacred by Indians and went mad. They are sometimes known as the Crazy Woman Mountains. They provide a stunning vista from I-90 between Livingston and Columbus, Montana. And as shown provide some great hiking venues.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Loved the trip report.. thanks for posting it!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene- thanks- you'll have to venture up this way some time so I can return the favor :)

Richard- that's correct- was made somewhat famous in the movie about Jeremiah Johnson

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Those are great, classic backpacking photos. The first two could easily be on the 2011 BPL calendar.

What do you do for a living that this was a work trip?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks- not much of photographer- get lucky once and again :)

game warden- get to patrol high mountain lakes occasionally (not often enough) for anglers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Law enforcement for your occupation is a cinch- your mustache makes Tom Sellek tremble;)

Sweet report/ pics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools