Topic

Southern California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Scripps Ranch/Miramar refugee here. I now pass more cows than cars! Don't miss that 8 mile 50 minute commute either.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I'm in Santa Babylon. (Santa Barbara)

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

La Cañada Flintridge. For those out of the area we are home to JPL and are just above the Rose Bowl and our neighbors in Pasadena, Alta Dena and Glendale.

Awesome hike right in our backyard.

In the winter you'll find me at Mt. Waterman.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Santa Clarita

Morgan Sherman

@morganpsherman

Locale: Central Coast, CA

Jeff,

What brings you to San Luis Obispo? I've been here two years now myself. Will be happy to share any tips or insight my short time here has given me.

Morgan

P.S. Just discovered this site a few days ago… this is my first post!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Welcome aboard, Morgan!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Hi Scott(or anyone else who knows),

As the JPL guy have you been up th4 Arroyo Seco trial to the Switzers area and beyond lately? I'm just wondering if the trial is open and/or the extent of the fire damage. Thanks.

Morgan Sherman

@morganpsherman

Locale: Central Coast, CA

Thanks Stephen! I've been having a great time "window shopping" in the Gear Swap forum. All around terrific site!

Morgan

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Poway

Ron Burleson

@ronburleson

Locale: So Cal

I'm in Corona

Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

I'm at school in the city of Orange… anyone have some favorite trails or overnight trips in that area?

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"I'm at school in the city of Orange… anyone have some favorite trails or overnight trips in that area?"
    Head for the San Gabriels. (But watch out for the Angeles Crest Highway closure, which can be worked around but not ignored.)

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

"As the JPL guy have you been up th4 Arroyo Seco trial to the Switzers area and beyond lately? I'm just wondering if the trial is open and/or the extent of the fire damage. Thanks."

Don,

I have not been up the Arroyo Seco behind JPL and beyond since the Station Fire. That part of the Forest is closed up until sometime in September. After the fire there were stories about people being told by Rangers that if they were caught in the area they would be fined upt to $5,000.00. My brother in law rides up to Brown Mtn. a lot. It was like a moonscape after the fire.

I usually hike up from my house on a fire road that is 1/2 on County roads and the rest is Forest Service which is also supposedly closed. I have not been bothered by anyone on those hikes. I am sure you could just hike up the valley and be okay but, technically, it is still closed.

That's all I can give you.

Scott

Michael Kaericher

@mikecourt

Santa Clarita, Valencia.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'm in Carpinteria.

I mostly stick to the local Los Padres.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Scott–Thanks for the info re Arroyo Seco. I've did an overnight into the Mt. Lowe camp earlier this year which skirted the burn area. The devastation was amazing to see.

Fred Ackerman

@phred

San Diego. Univesity City specifically. Got a nice little canyon trail down to the train tracks in my backyard.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

I live in Tujunga. Wanted to check out more of the Angeles Forest, but due to the fires, I can't explore my "backyard". I was planning on learning it real well.

Lennie Noblin

@noblinl

All,

I'm a newbie (not to camping but to backpacking) and am looking for a nice 1-2 night out and back type trip for me, my wife and 11 yr old daughter. Nothing to strenuous the first time out. We live in Tehachapi so anywhere in the Lone Pine to Bishop area would be good. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

a fellow OCer.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Wow, didn't realize there were so many Orange County folk on the forums.
    I myself was born and raised behind the orange curtain in Huntington Beach, did a 4 year stint in Santa Barbara for undergrad (Go Gauchos!), but am facing life here in Boston (oh the woes of adult responsibility and career choices.) Miss that California sun…you guys have it good. I always try to make a quick Mt. Baldy trip when I'm back home though

joseph peterson

@sparky

Im in Menifee, which is between riverside and temecula

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

La Jolla/UTC

drowning in spam

@leaftye

East County San Diego. Spring Valley.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Altadena, exactly 1 mile from the Angeles National Forest border.

So when are us SoCal folks going to do some local trips?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools