Topic

Aleve vs Ibuprofin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

What does everyone prefer for trail aches and pains? I have always carried Ibuprofin, but some seem to swear by Aleve.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

On long distance trips, I pretty much start my day drugged with 1 Aleve and two Asprin and end the day with another Aleve. Asprin thins the blood & helps with pain.

According to my wife, who is a RN, Aleve is long acting, 12 hrs of relieve, but slower acting.

Ibuprofin is more immediate acting, but shorter lasting.

They are different drugs.

Ibuprofin is aka Advil and Motrin and is, well, ibuprofin as a drug and is easier on the stomach.

Aleve's main ingredient is Naproxen, which can be hard on the stomach….should be taken with food. Naproxen is a stronger pain reliever.

I was given Naproxen for wrist and elbow problems/pain….kinda like for tunnel carpel like issues I had.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Naprosen (Aleve). Fewer pills to carry (I take one pill twice per day — but check with your doctor for dosing.)

Another reason to use it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-06-11-nsaids-heart_N.htm

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

You should probably try both to see which works better for you. The efficacy of each varies between different people. Aleve does not work good for me, but ibuprofen does. For others it's visa-versa.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I'll second Daniel on trying both. I find that ibuprofen works better for me and is a lot easier on the stomach. YMMV

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I take Advil PM for night time. helps me get to sleep when I'm ready, and I prefer ibuprofen because it reduces swelling, which seems to work better for me to recoup from aches and pains

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yes, try both — at the same time! I started doing that about 2 years ago at the advice of Brett, a fellow BPL member and it worked wonders for me — much faster pain relief than either used alone. So instead of 2 of a kind, take 1 of each.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I always start my hikes in British Columbia where I grab some codiene and tylenol over the counter and just start adding it to my treated water. With the additional caffiene you are guranteed to be dehydrated at milepost 1.5.
    All NSAIDs are hard on your kidneys but I tolerate aleve better then Ibuprofen. The only advantage to the big I is it is easier to up the dose if you really get injured. But then again only old worn out over the hill gangsters like me think this way.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would not touch either – or any drugs.

Are we so degenerate that we have to rely on pharmaceutical all our life?????? This is verging on addiction. Not me thanks.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Also depends on what other medications you are on. No ibuprofen for the Mrs. interacts badly with something else she takes daily.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm with Roger. Get yourself in shape. Strength train, stretch, cardio. Eat healthy. Avoid the drugs!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I agree. I bring a few of something in my FAK. But they are for first aid, not hiking aid.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I bring ibuprofen but do not take it unless I can't sleep. On my 1800 mile PCT hike last year, I rarely needed to take it despite near-30 mile hiking days. I would take Naproxen sodium if I had a long-term condition, but ibuprofen for quick pain relief. I agree that there's a tendency to take too many drugs. A little pain isn't going to hurt you.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Each to his or her own, but I don't see drugs as something that one needs to either totally avoid or be totally addicted. Both are extremes.

I agree with Dave that we should eat well and exercise regularly. That's the best. But drugs have their place too — when a headache or toothache strikes. To me, moderation is key.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Dave, Nick, Roger…well said.

To need a daily dose to walk and sleep comfortably…not for me. In my kit, drugs are for emergencies, not life.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I agree with getting into shape beforehand.

However with the lack of cell phone service in many areas of the mountains "911" isn't an option if we are taken out by a fall etc.

On my most recent trip during a 15 mile day I did what I refer to as kicking a tombstone. My left foot stubbed up hard against a rock sticking up out of the trail vertically. I caught myself and avoided a fall by planting my right foot out in front of myself. It only took minutes before I realized that I had strained my right knee really good! No amount of walking it off was going to relieve the discomfort. It was not a lack of conditioning or leg strength it was simply an uncomfortable bit of bad luck. In simpler terms I was injured.

Vitamin "I" calmed down the inflamation and soreness to a degree that I was able to hike out under my own power at a comfortable and respectable pace.

Training and conditoning are a nescessary part of hiking but so is a well stocked FAK.

Reserve the meds for the times when they are necessary because sometimes they are necessary.

Party On,

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Craig, over the counter meds ARE my life! My preferred degenerate, megapharmaceutical, non-organic, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug of choice is Aleve (Naproxen). I currently take it as needed (unabused) in the week, typically 40 mins. prior to my morning trail runs with plenty of water and a snack. I have found it has helped me maintain my recovering illiotibial band issues without resorting to steroidal options, or other more expensive options. Only downside to using Aleve is the guilt I feel inside when I talk to all my homeopathic/herbal medicine friends and acquaintances at the local coffee shop on Sunday mornings.

Kris, I'm going to have to recommend you get the arthritic friendly version of Aleve, the rubberized non-locking twist cap helps tremendously in aiding Naproxen administration while on the trail, now you can pop and go without stopping. Cheers.

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Thank you so much Roger and David for the lecture. That is exactly what I was looking for when I asked the question. To be reminded that my behavior is bordering on "degenerate" and "addictive". I also would like to thank you for the advice on diet, excercise, and lifestyle.

Cheers
    Kris

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I use a strong version of Naproxen for my gout. I t is hard on the stomach. As for pain killing. Nothing wrong with popping a few pills at the end of the day to aleve some pain. As you get older, it does get harder to feel good at the end of the day

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Are we so degenerate that we have to rely on pharmaceutical all our life?????? This is verging on addiction. Not me thanks."

Better living through chemistry. It's the American Way. ;)

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Indeed. Thanks to chemistry, we've got polyester, nylon, silnyon, cuben fiber, chlorine dioxide — not to mention vitamins and a thousand other things besides.

Are there really people who believe this is all good — or all bad? Judgment (and moderation) beat extreme knee-jerking — my two cents.

james lantz

@sweat-rex

Diane has it exactly right. Ibuprofen is fast acting & better for acute pain. It has a shorter half life hence its 3x-4x daily dosing. Naproxen is longer acting & for more chronic conditions. In fact, naproxen is best when it reaches higher levels in the synovial fluid of the joints & is maintained by consistent 2x daily dosing.
    This is the recommendation I give my patients & yes I am a physician.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Are there really people who believe this is all good — or all bad? Judgment (and moderation) beat extreme knee-jerking — my two cents."

C'mon now, Ben, lighten up. Didn't you notice the little wink, wink smiley face at the end of my post?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Kris,

Naproxen doesn't upset my stomach like Ibuprofen occasionally does. Another reason I prefer Aleve is the dosage frequency, Aleve (Naproxen) requires only one pill (220mg) every 8-12 hours, (x2 pills 440mg) can be taken at the first dose if needed. I've found the anti-inflammatory benefits of Aleve to be worthwhile, that's the only reason I've been taking Aleve as of recent, plus the drugs duration of effectiveness lasts longer than Ibuprofen, less pills taken, less pills required, less pills in your field kit, etc.

*Kris, all this information is straight from the bottle, just for clarification.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@James Lantz:

What about mixing ibuprofen and acetometaphine? Works well for me, but would like to hear it from a physician. Thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools