Topic

3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I have a permit for Rae Lakes loop starting on Thus. Aug. 12th and coming out on Sun. the 15th. The permit is for 6 people, as of now it is Ken H. and me, maybe a +1 for Ken. Two of my friends Kevin S. and Ryan could not get the total days off to make the trip, and my boss would'nt give me the days off to match thiers, so I had to make a last minute decision and I snagged a permit for what was open. That being said there are at least 3 spots open possibly 4 if Ken's +1 doesn't go. I will talk to Ken and try to find out for sure. If we can meet and car pool to the entrance I have an annual pass so we wont have to pay to get in the park. The plan is to go from Roads End to Upper Paradise Valley on day 1, day 2 Upper Paradise Valley to Rae Lakes, day 3 Rae Lakes to Vidette Meadows, day 4 Vidette Meadows to Roads End. ANY TAKERS!!!!! please post here. Thanks Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Jack, I pm you from Europe after I got your email. Must not have gone through. I am definitely in.

kevin smith

@divr6347

have fun guys wish my scedule would have worked out so i could make the trip but could only get friday off
    and 3 days todo the loop is pushing it for me

on a side note if anyone attending would like to try tarping i have an id 8×10 silnylon tarp with guylines ready to go if anyone going would like to try it out just let me know and ill make sure jack brings it with him for you to use

wish i could make it
    kevin

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Ok Kat I have you down, yeah I never got your pm, I hardly ever get pm's on here thats' why I usally post my email. Glad you could make it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Kat, since we close to one another we could carpool if you are interested. My +1 is looking 50/50 right now.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

With the help of Ken H. and my handy dandy book this is our itinerary or pretty close. Day 1 Upper Paradise 11 miles, Day 2 Rae Lakes 14 miles, Day 3 Vidette Meadows 10 miles, Day 4 to roads end 14 miles….. 1st day approx. elevation gain is 1,600 ft. 2nd day looks like 3,800 ft. elevation gain. Day 3 is up over Glenn pass at 11,978 ft. we will gain 1,428 from Rae Lakes to Glenn Pass then descend approx. 2,500 ft to Vidette Meadow. Day 4 is approx. 3,000 ft descent back to Roads End. Just wanted to post this so people would get an idea of what their up against as far as milage and elevation, again these are approx. because my book follows a different itinerary. Should'nt be to hard for a bunch of BPL'ers. Hope this helps if any one was on the fence about going. This hike also requires a bear canister, me and Ken are taking are Bare Boxer's. I have a Garcia if any one want's to carry it. Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sounds like no time for a side trip into Sixty Lakes Basin.

Pity.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Not this time Bob, you coming for this one?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Frankly, I would be very much interested if there was enough time for a side trip into Sixty Lakes Basin. But, I guess there isn't.

I did this same loop last August, and two of us did it in 3.5 days of hiking. First day we got all the way from Roads End up to Woods Crossing, which was a butt-kicker. Second day, we got into the Sixty Lakes Basin early and I got some wildlife photos. Third day, we went over Glen Pass and down to Junction Meadow. The last day was short out to Roads End.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I've always wanted to go to Sixty Lakes Basin I heard the wild life is amazing. I thought about day 1 going all the way to Woods Crossing but like you said that's a but kicker and I want to enjoy this trip as much as possible. May be next time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I would not go so far as to say that the Sixty Lakes wildlife is amazing. I've been there twice, and both times I got some shots that the wildlife experts had to discuss.

I don't know. This year, since there is so much snow, it might be a completely different place.

Besides, I will be coming out from Whitney in just the prior week. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

–B.G.–

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ken, I am all for carpooling if it can work that way. I am excited about this trip.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Kat-COOL! I have done this trip and it is amazing, you will dig it.

If we could make it to Woods Crk. Crossing, I'd be all over for a day in 60 Lakes Basin. Even going cross country near Arrowhead Lake and into the basin…..Discuss

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'll hike till my legs quit!!!!

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Jack, Ken, and Katharina,

Still any open spots? I would love to come on this trip! It works perfectly with my school/work schedule.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Dylan we still have three spots open as of now, if you are a "for sure" I'll count you in, glad to have you on board, we still need to work out all the car pool info and meet up times with every one. I live in Bakersfield so I can't help you there in the car pool area, but if we have a big enough car/van we can all ride into the park together and use my pass, should be a good trip. Don' forget this trip requires a bear canister. We need a Llama!

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

I'm in for sure! Currently I rent a can at the wilderness station every time I go to Yosemite. But… I think I'm going to buy a Bare Boxer (small) for the trip. I go to Yosemite at least once a year so it's time I bought a bear can anyway. Maybe I can carpool with Ken and Katharina since we live close to each other. Looking forward to a great trip!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Dylan got you down for 1 spot, I have a Garcia bear canister if you want to use it, but it's pretty big. I have the Bare Boxer and love it, if there is such a thing as loving a bear canister! For the money and the weight you can't go wrong, I can get at least 3 1/2-4 days in mine if I pack it right, I usally have food left over, I tend to pack more food than I eat, better to have more than not enough. OK folks that leaves 2 spots open any more takers better hurry there going fast.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

The list of hiker's going so far.
    1. Jack E.
    2. Ken H.
    3. Katharina P.
    4. Dylan S.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dylan where do you live. I live near Santa Cruz and Kat does too. We might be heading out on Wed. afternoon to SEKI. I was thinking about avoiding the San Jose commute traffic by going through Watsonville and then bypassing Gilroy by going on Hwy 25 to Hwy 152. Would you be able to meet us up here???? I am originally from SJ and do not want to drive in a parking lot to leave this area. Done that too many times in my life!

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Ken, I live in San Francisco. I think the easiest is for me to leave SF on Wed morning early and come down to your house. I'm an early riser and can be at your place any time. One thing… I can get a ride to you in Scotts Valley no problem but I don't own a car. So I can not offer up a vehicle for the drive down south, I hope thats ok.
    Last night I pored over that maps and this is going to be a great trip! I'm excited to explore the Rae Lakes area.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dylan, I was already planning on driving so no worries. We would be leaving around noonish??????

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dylan, keep in mind too, that some of us are older. We will be in cruise mode for most of this hike. I think the last day we are hiking 14 miles back to the trailhead. I'd offer you my Bearvault, but the one that I have is not allowed in the Rae Lakes area due to bears getting into them. Mine is one of the older models. Bear Boxer is perfect. It costs like $29 or so and should be enough for 4 days food

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Perfect! I'll plan on being at your place by 11. I ordered a Bare Boxer (small) last night. It's so much easier to justify new gear when you are planning a trip for real.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Ken, I'm 41! Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. 14 miles is plenty far in one day, I'm more of a tortoise than a hare.
    Does anyone have a favorite map of the area? I'll be buying one tomorrow, Google maps was fun last night but I like to have a paper version to look at as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools