Topic

Anyone travel Rae Lakes Loop? 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Anyone travel Rae Lakes Loop? 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

We are planning a trip 7/17/2010 and I am wondering if Glen Pass is open or snowed in?

Has anyone made this trip this year?

Z.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Earlier, it was reported to be well open.

–B.G.–

Andre Bates
    BPL Member

@aybates

Locale: Northern Cal

Glen Pass is open but still has a lot of snow on the North Side. Here is a shot I took a couple of days ago from the pass:Glenn Pass

You can see the rest of the images from my trip as well as a GPS track here:

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=210675

Andre Bates
    BPL Member

@aybates

And Tom . . . for inspiration, here is a shot I took from my campsite at Rae Lake:Rae Lakes

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Will be there Aug. 12th!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Andre, I love your photo looking north.

I had to look hard to see what that was in the foreground.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will be there July 28th!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I was over Glen in Early May and the main pack of PCT hikers have crossed as well. From the latest trail journals it sounds like there is still solid snow most of the way north of Charlotte Lake.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

MODIS imagery can give you a rough estimate. The resolution of the satellite imagery limits the usefulness. They update the images on a daily basis, so sometimes cloud cover blocks everything and you have to check later.

Rae Lakes:
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/?type=DAILY_MODIS_TILES&zoom=10&center=36.795883,-118.582649

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

It's too hard to sort out the white snow from the white clouds.

–B.G.–

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Andre, great photos of your trip.

I did read in your introduction that crampons and an ice axe were required to cross the pass.

Our group doesn't have those items, do you think it would be safe to cross without them? I estimate we would be crossing, or attempting, Glen Pass around the 19th of July.

Z.

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

I will be there 8/14/10. I hope everything is cleared out by then!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Then David, somewhere along the hike, we should see you or um are you doing it clock wise or counter???

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

Ken,
    I'm starting 7/27 SOBO from GP to WP. I have family members joining me at various times and I need to adjust daily mileage so they will remain family!
    What is your schedule?
    David

Andre Bates
    BPL Member

@aybates

"I did read in your introduction that crampons and an ice axe were required to cross the pass."

Crampons helped but were not necessary. I saw several people crossing with just trail runners and trekking poles. Moreover, by next week, the snow could be mostly gone . . . it was hot out there!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

We're on the trail heading to Upper Paradise on 8/12, Rae Lakes 8/13, Vidette Meadows on 8/14 and out on the 15th. So far there are 3 of us on the trip. Sorry to hijack the thread BTW.

Brandon Eastland
    BPL Member

@brandoneastland

Locale: Central California

I'm new to this site and I already love it! Anyways, my girlfriend and I are going to be there starting Aug 10th. Reservations for the 11th but I'm going to try and get a first come first serve pass. Maybe I'll bump into some of you guys on the way out.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

My son and I are starting on 7-30. We are going in the reverse direction. Has anyone camped at the Chaarlotte Creek/Bubbs Creek jct area?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

A more standard place to camp is a few miles uphill from there at Junction Meadow.

–B.G.–

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Glen Pass is not to be worried about.

I was just over Kearsarge Pass and in the area. 50% of the ice on a lake I passed going in was gone on my way out… The snow is melting at a really rapid rate. I asked a ranger I saw at Kearsarge about Glen Pass…no axes or ice tools needed- word is that all the passes are fine now.

pardees parvin

@backpackingdude

Just got back yesterday- finished the loop in 3 days (hiked all the way back to road's end from dollar lake on the third day). Rae Lakes were beautiful, but unfortunately the rain (on and off) kept us from hanging out there too long. Bring your deet and headnet…the mosquito situation could not be much worse. I don't think we walked through more than a few small 10-15 feet patches of snow (and on fairly level areas of the pass), so don't worry about glen pass and keep your crampons at home.

F. R.
    BPL Member

@fugitiveride

Locale: Syldavia

At night did you sleep in a tent since the mosquitoes were so awful?

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

planning to head out to Rae Lakes this weekend, ranger says its still pretty snowy but were giving it a shot.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Hey James,
    Keep us posted on conditions, if you would I am heading up there next weekend, and I am wondering about taking snow gear. It seems like it's melting like gang busters up there.
    -Rob V.

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

Defintely will report back, looking at the snow sensor here in Kings Canyon at Bishop Pass (11.2Kft)

RAW SNOW: 18inch (and falling at least ~1inch day)
    SNOW DEPTH: 29.8 inch (and falling at a similar rate)

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?BSH

As a recent transplant from sunny Florida, Can someone explain to me the difference between raw snow and snow pack?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools