Topic

Trollhetta, Norway 7/2-7/4

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trollhetta, Norway 7/2-7/4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

Hello everybody! This is my first posting here.

I want to share a few photos with you that I captured this weekend on a two night backpacking trip in Trollheimen, Norway.

My friend and I had planned this trip for several weeks and had bought a lot of equipment to get the weight of our backpacks down. On my previous trips my backpack often weighted 20kg (44lbs) or more. By buying a new sleeping bag (Marmot Atom) and new mattress (Thermarest Neoair) I had already reduced the weight by almost 2kg. By replacing several other items with lightweight ones I was able to get my base weight below 9kg (20lbs). Not exactly UL but I am slowly getting there. Among the items I carried with me this time was a Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator stove, Evernew Ultralight Ti pot and Buck Hartsook knife. My tent is a Helsport Ringstind Light 2 and at 1.95kg it is on the heavy side. Since we had reduced the weight of our backpacks so much we carried a few extra items as well; we both carried an alcohol stove in addition to our Soto stoves. I had a regular home grown soda can stove with wind screen and two small fuel bottles stored inside a Snow Peak Mini Solo pot. My friend carried his new Gearpods alcohol stove. All in all my pack weighted 13.5kg (less my camera, trekking poles and mobile phone).

Our main goal for the trip was to get away from busy jobs and backpack for the weekend. We chose Trollheimen in Norway because my friend has a cabin near by that we could use in case the weather turned bad. The weather did not turn bad and in fact last Friday, when we started driving, was the warmest day (26C/79F) so far this year. We planned to walk for 4-5 hours against the mountain Trollhetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollhetta). Trollhetta has three peaks at 1522m, 1596m and 1616m. At 1616m (5302 ft) Trollhetta is not the tallest mountain in Norway but it is the most remotely located mountain above 1500m (5000 ft).

After three hours we saw the first sign of the mountain; the right peak in the left half of the photo.

This was the perfect time to fire up the Gearpods stove and make a cup of coffe.
    Setting up the Gearpods stoveSetting up the Gearpods stove

We had to cross this river

After 5.5 hours we found a suitable camp site. My Helsport tent to the left and my friend's SD Lightning XT 1 to the right:
    My Helsport tent to the left and my friend's SD Lightning XT 1 to the right
    Right after we had finished putting up the tents it started raining but the morning after it was sunny and very nice. We started heading for the summit at 9AM.

There was a lot of snow further up in the mountain and we often had to cross snow/ice covered rivers. A bit risky at times but we walked slowly and felt we were safe.

Crossing an ice covered river.

After two hours we thought we had two hours more to go to the top.

Steady course against the summit.

After three hours we reached the first and lowest of three peaks. In the picture below you can see the peak we are heading for in the upper right corner and 600m (2000 ft) below the peak, an ice covered lake.

Me standing at the first peak and the highest peak in the upper right corner.

We had to go down about 50m before starting climbing up to the second peak.

My friend and the second peak to his right.

For me this was the heftiest climbing I have done in my life and I was almost out of "fuel" as well so the climb was a bit risky.

Slowly climbing to the second peak.

Half way to the second peak looking back where we came from:
    Half way to the second peak looking back where we came from

Half way to the second peak. Our camp site were at the lake farthest into the photo:
    Half way to the second peak. Our camp site where at the lake farthest into the photo

After 6 hours we reached the summit.
    After 6 hours we reached the summit

Looking back at the two lower peaks:
    Looking back at the two lower peaks

We took at different route down from the mountain. There were less snow but a lot of rocks.

Rocky mountain!

In Norway it is considered safe to drink running water and I never carry water purification equipment.
    My friend filling his water bottle.

It was difficult to find a flat surface for our tents so we headed for the delta between the two lakes in the photo below.
    Our second camp site was between these two lakes

On the third day, on our way back to the car we encountered this river that we considered too dangerous to cross.

Strong river that we could not cross.

After about an hour downstream we encountered an old, wooden bridge:
    After about an hour downstream we encountered an old, wooden bridge.

After crossing the bridge we had two more hours walk to the car during which I was so tired that I did not take any pictures.

Thanks for reading!

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

beautiful pics! norway is probably the best part of europe to hike in.. some semblance of nature and wilderness still survives.

We were there last year and we were fine drinking from streams as well.. but this puzzles me since there seem to be more domesticated animals there (sheep mostly, where we were near Tromso) than in many parts of the US where I usually hike.. and yet people seem more worried about giardia here (and I always treat water here).

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Wow, beautiful pictures! Makes me want to hike in Norway!!

Longhiker wrote: "and yet people seem more worried about giardia here (and I always treat water here)."
    The scientific evidence is that backpackers in the US don't get giardia from contaminated backcountry drinking water; they get it from poor potty hygiene. More info here: http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/hiking_water.html

But yeah, I'd definitely pop in a ClO2 tablet if I was forced to take water from a place where there was livestock. It's cheap and easy.

Gustav Bostrom
    BPL Member

@gusbo

Locale: Scandinavia

Nice report!
    Seemed like a nice challenge.
    At least in Sweden Giardia is unheard of. I don't know if the disease even exists here. It seems that all known occurences come from human poo, and then someone has probably been contaminated abroad first. You can get sick from contaminated water (though probably not giardia) in rural areas of course, but in the mountains this is rare.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Looks like you're always above treeline in that part of the world. Thanks for sharing!

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

Thanks for the comments everybody!

I forgot to mention that during our two and a half day trip we did not see anybody else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools