Topic

crackef fingers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all.
    So…after a few days on the trail my finger tips always get dried out and cracked….if they get really bad they start to bleed. It becomes pretty painful and makes it difficult to do small work with my fingers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have heard about it. And, if so, any way to fix it or prevent it?

The same thing also happens with my heals, they get very dried and cracked. Any solutions?

Thanks
    Dan

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Try Joshua Tree healing salve. We use it alot to help heal and soften our fingers after hard climbs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"So…after a few days on the trail my finger tips always get dried out and cracked….if they get really bad they start to bleed. It becomes pretty painful and makes it difficult to do small work with my fingers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have heard about it. And, if so, any way to fix it or prevent it?"

Take a small bottle(one oz should do) of a good hand lotion along and massage some into your finger tips at night. That way it'll have time to absorb overnight.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Get a bottle of Intensive Care hand creme or some other good lotion, and EVERY NIGHT rub it onto your hands and feet.

I know, but it works. Really!

Ah! I see Tom and I agree!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I had a blister on my hand this winter that eventually gave me cracking issues. A couple days of wedging chapstick into the cracks resolved that problem. It's basically the same type of advise as Tom, except I always carry chapstick.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Another fine use for olive oil is as a hand balm.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Dan,

GoJo Hand Medic does it for me on dry and cracked hands.

No problems with my feet.

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Bag Balm. Works wonders.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Cracked fingers: I apply neosporin or lotion then put a bandaid on the finger and keep it on.

Cracked heels: I never had the problem but I read somewhere about using Stridex (yes, the acne medicine) and socks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools