Topic

Lightweight Thermos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Thermos

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Pamela Sweet
    BPL Member

@drsweet

I recently purchased (another) insulated sport bottle. I have many…none of them have really been worth while. Either they are too heavy, too weak, or just do not keep things hot or cold. I enjoy my tea on the trail. Fuel is at a premium, so hot water for tea is a luxury, and sun tea only works to a point.
    I found a product from Kikkerland – a stainless steel "sports flask". It is the same style and shape as a Sigg bottle, and overall is quite similar in appearance.
    It excells in that it REALLY DOES WORK. Hot tea will sill be HOT in 12 hours. It is good and warm after 24 hours. I have used mine every day for 2 months without failure. It comes in three sizes small medium and large with only a couple of ounces difference between the medium 600ml actual volume and the large – 700ml.
    The Medium wt is 8.9 oz; and the Large is 10 oz. empty.
    These are a bit hard to find…I got mine in Vermont. They are available online from http://www.Kikkerland.com. The only other mfg is in Australia and they do not ship outside of Australia.

I hope this might solve some problems.
    I use it for tea and for keeping my hot water hot for making supper…it I have left over hot water its still hot for breakfast- saves prep time and fuel in the am.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i think it is about the same specs…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before hiking up Mount Washington NH in snow season, I brewed up a thermos full of hot tea, maybe 0.75 liter. I drove two hours to the trailhead, and then hiked up. Arriving on the summit four hours later, I opened up the thermos to drink. It was too hot to drink! I had to leave it in the cup for a minute with the arctic wind blowing on it before I could put it to my lips.

–B.G.–

George Roefler

@arizona

You joined BPL, posted one post for a product and gave it a glowing review. Tired of spammers like you. Post reported.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

She did buy a BPL membership, which is more than George did!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Pamela

As OP said, this is your first posting and it is a glowing endorsement of a not-very-relevant (to UL gear) product. Also, the claim about the length of time the water stays hot is a bit extreme. This has raised some suspicions.

We need to know just what connection you have to Kikkerland or the makers of the thermos flask. We do require full and honest disclosure in any such posting where you might have some vested interest.

Could you let us know what the situation is please?

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Oops, wrong Pam…
    Franco

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I'm not so sure this is spam. At least the OP gives the weight of the item as being considerably heavier than the website claims. large. Weight : (0.36) Lbs. Medium. Weight : (0.32) Lbs.

I also note the OP didn't link the website. Not your average spammer tactic.

Oh, and Franco, "this particular Pamela Swift" isn't called Swift.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I've wondered about this for some time as I use a high quality thermos at home and in the car and it keeps my coffee very hot for at least 8 hours if I charge it with boiling water first. Take a look at the one Chris Townsend uses in the following link. Unfortunately the reviews at Amazon are not good if you try to use it for anything other than hot water or tea, but a less fiddly thermos would be worth considering.
    http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/search?q=flask

See also this comparison of thermoses and which stay hotter longer and cap modifications.
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-95659-p-3.html

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I love my titanium thermos. It rocks.

That's my non-spam endorsement…

Mike C
    BPL Member

@mikeclow

Locale: Rockies

As Roger says, a thermos is not very relevant to Ultralight Backpacking.  However, I wanted a small, light thermos for day trips ski touring.  There are many possibilities with 750 ml capacity and larger.  The field narrows for smaller thermos bottles.  In particular, I was looking for a capacity of about 300 ml.  Here are some options, with weight, empty:

From Norway, the Aanonsen 300 ml thermos with drinking cup.  10 3/4 oz.  It works well.  My wife bought it in a hardware store in Bergen, Norway.

The Sigg 0.3 l Hot and Cold One.  8 3/4 oz.  Works well.  I got it from Amazon for $33.51 from “Wish Fulfillment,” free shipping.  It actually was shipped from Spain.  How do they do that?

The GSI  Microlight Flip Top, 500 ml.  8 1/4 oz.  Available from REI.  Haven’t used this.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

12 hours and the coffee was still hot, Zojirushi thermos. I’ve stopped looking.

Don’t you just love resurrected threads.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I use a Japanese design “Tiger” stainless steel 500ml. 6.8 oz from Amazon, $20, that works great. Just a basic screw top.

I don’t know about the potential spammer, but the topic seems relevant for BPL.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Ken-the plastic lining worries me though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They make a version without a liner.

Zojirushi SlickSteel®Finish is an alternative to our nonstick coating. They are non-coated on the inside and instead use an electrically charged polishing process to treat and finish the interior. The result is a corrosion resistant surface that repels foreign substances and stains, creating a smooth and ultra-clean stainless steel environment for your drinks.

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/smkhe

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Ken-Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that option.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools