Topic

Cuben Tent Fly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Tent Fly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Martha,

I did not replace the floor of the tent with cuben. I didn't do it mostly because of the cost and because I didn't think I could do a good quality job of it. I could have just cut out a big rectangle and left the bathtub walls, but I don't think that would have been a very professional job. Removing the entire floor would have involved sewing cuben to bug netting (which I've never done) and re-attaching all of the corner tie outs. Overall, the expense and difficulty deterred me.

I did get replacement poles. I measured the length of my poles and bought a new set of carbon poles from Fibraplex. I was quite happy with the weight of the poles. On one trip I encountered some fairly high winds and moderate snow fall, and these poles were too flexy to feel confident in those conditions, but for normal 3 season use they would have been fine. So overall I was happy with the weight and cost, I just wouldn't use them in harsh conditions (which can't always be predicted).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dan,

You mentioned the possibility earlier (and then decided against) using "small but fat O rings".

These castration rings might fit the bill:

RINGS

The ones I have fit tightly over tent poles. I find them handy for keeping things in position on tent poles (e.g. a buckle), by placing one on each side of an item that is tethered to the pole.

They degrade over time but are easily replaced.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow. That subject line certainly grabs your attention. : )

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

lol I dont know if I could sleep knowing that those were around.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yes that subject line does grab ones attention.

Those rings look good and would likely solve this small issue.

In this situation I decided that this was simply a problem that wasn't worth addressing. After some experience using this fly in the rain, I observed that virtually no water was getting in here (I didn't see a single drip), and even if it did get in, it would drip into the vestibule rather than the tent. So the worst case scenario is a few drips of water in the vestibule under heavy rains.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Maybe carry some of these rings anyway.

Any male bear that came close would see those things and think twice about messing with you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Been there, done that. But nobody gave me a ring……

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Any male bear that came close would see those things and think twice about messing with you.

I just watched a video that said grizzlies will mutilate the genitals of its opponent in a fight.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools