Topic

Reflectix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reflectix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You know the aluminized bubble-wrap stuff. I have used some, and I always join pieces with clear packing tape.

For something new, I need to join pieces with some adhesive that is waterproof. What kind of adhesive would be suggested? Maybe Contact Cement?

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If contact cement(barge) doesn't work what about waterproof tape like Gorilla Tape? Or tape for Cuben fiber?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I'm guessing that contact cement will be lighter than anything and still be waterproof. I don't have Cuben tape or Gorilla tape. I'm trying to join two flat surfaces together, so the tapes would have to be double-sided.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Reflectix makes a special tape for their products. It is one sided. You should be able to get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive should work with Reflectix.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Single sided tape isn't going to work for this.

I do have the spray adhesive, so I'll sleep on that concept tonight and then build it tomorrow.

–B.G.–

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Let us know how the spray adhesive goes. I might start using that instead of tape if it is water-proof.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Normally, Reflectix is used in some application where heat is involved, and I am not sure how that would work with spray adhesive.

I'm actually trying to create something out of Reflectix that doesn't involve heat. I'm trying to use it as a tough bubble wrap only.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I find that clear packing tape IS waterproof. I sealed off a vent in my dishwasher about 8 years ago and it has never come off. Urea Formaldehyde adhesive I think.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

As I reported earlier, I would need double-sided tape for this, so I don't think tape is going to work. I have no double-sided tape.

For ordinary things with Reflectix, I use ordinary clear tape, and it works good as long as you don't let it get too hot.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Let me explain my goal first. It's a little weird, so bear with me.

I will be visiting two national parks within two weeks of each other, but I will be on foot with my backpack and no car. Therefore, UL concepts apply.

When you are out in the national parks, most of the time you clean up in the nearest stream. However, in each of these two national parks, there is a pay-type public shower near a campground. After a week at a time of being grubby, it might be nice to hit a hot shower. In most of these public showers, the floor is pretty disgusting. They are not the most sanitary in the world. So, wouldn't it be nice to have UL shower slippers?

I decided that a half-inch-thick sole would be good, and Reflectix comes in quarter-inch-thick layers, so two layers would do it. I traced the sole outline of a small running shoe onto the material and cut out two right and two left pieces. I fabricated top over-the-foot straps out of two layers of mosquito net sewn together.

I held the top strap over one Reflectix sole and fastened it underneath so that it would fit my foot. Then I stuck the second Reflectix sole underneath that and adhered it with spray adhesive. That leaves the top strap stuck between the two layers of Reflectix. Then I applied a little extra seam sealer around the edges. Done. One pair-One ounce.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Why not convert your insoles to flip flops and then just remove the string to convert them back to insoles?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I don't like the piece between my toes on flip flops.

Besides, I don't have any shoes with removable insoles.

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've always used duct tape.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

You duct tape your feet?

Or, you use duct tape to hold two pieces of stuff together?

I didn't want to put much duct tape in there because it would add a lot of weight, and also it will collect grunge.

–B.G.–

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I used to use duct tape for hot spots on my feet, worked great. Now I use Luekatape for the same thing.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Aren't you gonna get grunge inside the bubblewrap portion? I can understand the annoyance of the string between the toes on flip flops, but if your only wearing them in the shower.. I am curious as to what shoes you wear that do not have removable insoles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

From what I can tell, nothing like water or soap or grunge will penetrate the Reflectix.

I suppose that it is possible for me to rip the insoles out of my boots, but I don't see the sense in that.

If this Reflectix solution was going to be heavy, like six ounces or something, it would be different. But one ounce for the pair was just about right.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well I can see that the bubblewrap portion would allow water and such in a the sides. Yes you would be standing on the aluminum covering but the core is not impervious to moisture getting in

bubble

And what brand boots do you wear that don't have removable insoles?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Ken, to avoid much water intrusion, I applied some seam sealer to the edges of the Reflectix. There is no sewing, so water can't move vertically.

I have several brands of boots. I don't intend to try to rip the insoles out. I might have trouble trying to put them back in without them sliding around.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Would slipping be a problem in a wet shower? Perhaps put something on the bottom to make them a bit 'sticky'?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

They don't seem to be very slippery, once my body weight is compressing them slightly.

I won't make any claims about long-term durability.

–B.G.–

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

I made a pair of flip flop/shower shoe type of things out of some of the 6 dollar cheapo CCF from WalMart. I ended up making a pair of sandals, a few sit pads, and a torso pad all out of the one 6 dollar ccf mattress.

They're just over an ounce, I made the strap that goes over the top of the foot with black duct tape. No strings between the toes, pretty light.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Wow. CCF from Walmart and black duct tape over the foot. That's quite the fashion statement.

–B.G.–

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools