Topic

Pad Materials Help Please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Alex Gilman BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Hey guys,

I’m currently having my dog sleep on a size small REI Dog Gream Bed. However, at 30oz it is pretty darn heavy.

I think it uses a cut down “REI Trekker” self inflating pad as a core.

I’m looking to cut some weight and get him this pad. I called Ruff Wear they said it is not inflatable and uses the same materials found in synthetic sleeping bags. Not sure what that means. But they don’t know the R value for it as well.

I’m worried its just going to compress too much under his weight and not provide much insulation.

Any thoughts from you material gurus out there?

Ankar Sheng BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I think a piece of closed cell foam pad would work just fine, and probably your lightest option.

Alex Gilman BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Those closed cell egg carton pads are so bulky though… I wish I could get a really small NeoAir or something.

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I wish I could get a really small NeoAir or something.

Your wish is my command :)

Ankar Sheng BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I was thinking of the flat rollies, but those are bulkier than air pads anyway.

You could always cut a self inflating in half and reseal the the end with an iron. Definitely more expensive option though.

Alex Gilman BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Cutting down the NeoAir is a cool idea. …but my dog can kiss my you know what if he thinks I'll be spending 140 bucks on a NeoAir for him. Not to mention then cutting it down. :)

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm

OK, on a more serious note. I don't have a dog, nor have I ever camped with one….my humble opinion, the dog bed you linked to above is probably fine for warm weather, but if it uses synthetic insulation, then you kind of lose any R-value/insulative properties as soon as you sit on it (compression). Most of us would freeze fairly quickly using just our sleeping bags as insulation from the ground. So, if you're camping in cooler temps, probably something else would be better.

Where's all the hikers with puppies?

Mary D BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

"Where's all the hikers with puppies?" Nothing about dogs in the thread title!

I use a piece of cheap closed cell foam pad, cut to 20" x 33" for my 80-lb. mostly Labrador. I fold it in thirds and it fits nicely in the pad pocket of my Six Moon Designs Comet pack (where it pads the back much better than my insulated air pad). It weighs 3.5 oz.

My dog also has a jacket (Ruffwear Cloud Chaser, recently on sale at REI) which I put on him for below-freezing nights. It weighs 7.5 oz. in a large (suitable for a Lab). While he has plenty of fur (perpetually shedding!), he's an indoor dog at home so needs some help when it's really cold. For a jacket, it's important to have it loose-fitting so it doesn't compress the dog's undercoat. Of course for dogs with thin coats and no downy undercoat, more insulation will be needed at higher temperatures.

The entire dog bed package (jacket plus pad) is 11 oz., a lot less than what you're considering.

I originally bought a dog pad made by Thermarest, the equivalent of a 36" long Z Rest. I think those have been discontinued. It is now being used by my 8-year-old granddaughter. The Gossamer Gear NightLight torso length sleeping pad would be an excellent choice for a dog, probably more comfy than the el cheapo green foam from Coleman that I use, and cheaper than buying a Z Rest and cutting it down. It weighs the same, 3.5 oz. I've seen lots of dogs carrying their own pads strapped on top of their packs, and they do fine. I carry my dog's pad only because it helps me with pack support. I give him something of mine to carry in return.

EDIT: The GG Nightlight torso pad folds flat, in thirds, so it's not particularly bulky. So does the green foam from Coleman I'm using now. Either is just the right width for any lightweight backpack that needs a pad for support (such as packs from GG and Six Moon Designs). Or, as mentioned, it can be strapped on top of your dog's pack.

Despite my clipping my dog's claws every two weeks, I keep him well away from my insulated air pad and would never put him on an inflatable pad!

Mike S BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 6:48 pm

A piece of closed cell foam + a square of fleece I got from the fabric store. It works great for cold temps. If it gets to cold I will also throw my fleece over him as well.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJun 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Cut down Ridgerest. Bulky, yes but darn near indestructible, and cheap. My dog has his own down quilt, but we usually wind up together under the covers. Cozy!

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedJun 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

My two pups get a chuck of large ridge rest deluxe cut in half. In winter they get 2 chunks each, and a down vest each.

Alex Gilman BPL Member
PostedJun 10, 2010 at 10:30 am

My dog is a wuss :) just over the long weekend he was sleeping in our Morpho, on his REI self inflating pad wearing his Ruff Wear Cloud Chaser jacket and shivering all morning. I think the temps were around 38degrees in the Olympic National Forest.

…OH BUT when I went to the stream to get water for coffee the first thing he did was jump in for a morning swim with his jacket and all. – goofball

Being a Pitty he has no undercoat at all so that's why I'm trying to find a lighter yet still warm solution for us.

I still hate the bulk of foam pads and hate the look of them even more when they stick out from underneath a pack. (My background in rescue diving is preventing me from NOT streamlining my gear).

PostedJun 10, 2010 at 11:10 am

Since you already considered an expensive Neoair, what about getting Bender from Kookabay to build a custom dog mattress? Then you can get a tough top layer. Or you can keep it thin and use tough removable covers.

>> Bender << BPL Member
PostedJun 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

FYI I have a small amount of tougher 200D material available. Those doggy pads at REI weigh more than my bag & pad combined! An alternative to inflatables would be a thick layer of synthetic insulation with a fleece cover. How big is your dog?

Alex Gilman BPL Member
PostedJun 10, 2010 at 11:53 am

My dog is about 70lbs but he's about the size of a really, really, really small lab.

…and this is why I'm looking at something self inflating(ish). He's just going to compress the synthetic sleeping bag type stuff right under him.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedJun 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Man, I dunno. I haven't put a hole in a thermarest since I started using them in the 80s. But on a cabin trip, my gal invited the pups (80-ish pounds each) up onto the air mattress. Instant hole. I know there are self-inflating dog pads, but… air tight and dog claws seems like a bad combination to me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Loading...