Topic

Help! Pick my trekking poles!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help! Pick my trekking poles!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I’m pulling the trigger this summer and am going to be buying some trekking poles. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Here are some of my needs.

-Money isn’t an issue, some good poles are

-They have to be collapsible. Preferably a 3 stage pole.

-They’ve gotta be light of course!

-Grips and wrist strap features don’t really matter (I guess I could be proved wrong)

-Doesn’t need shock absorbing support

-I will most likely be integrating them with my TT Rainbow

(If it matters any my alpine ski poles are 50… 50 cm’s I believe…?)

Thanks for any and all input!

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

I own a pair Fizan poles. They're three sections, max. length about 130cm's i think. You'll like the weight; around 160 grams (about 5.5 oz) for one pole.
    Fizan is an Italian brand, which I've bought in the UK. I'm afraid I don't know if or where they're available in the US…
    Hope this helps.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

I checked out their website. Its the first time I've heard of the company. Which model of pole do you own?

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Check out the Leki Carbonlites Aergon poles. I have the quick locking version. A little heavier than some out there, but they are strong and they hold. Plenty long for your tent, and collapse down to a small size.

ETA – Welcome to BPL :)

ETA2 – On sale 20% off at Moosejaw right now. Here is the link.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Leki-Carbonlite-AERGON-Speedlock-Trekking-Poles_10093436____?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Leki-Carbonlite-AERGON-Speedlock-Trekking-Poles&ad_id=GoogleBase

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

I own the Fizan Compact Trekking Poles. I bought them at ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk. Here's a link to the product on their site (is that allowed? I'm not affiliated with the company): http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/fizan_compact_trekking_poles.html

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

+1 on the Leki Carbonlites. They're a bit heavier than some of the other carbon poles out there, but they're bulletproof. I fell on mine several times in snow on the PCT last year and they never broke. And they come with a 1-year shaft-breakage guarantee, which means if you do break them in that time, you get a new set of poles. I don't think any of the other carbon-fiber poles out there come with that sort of guarantee.

Peter Rattenbury

@mountainmule

Locale: Australia

Tim, Take a look at Pacerpoles. Ergonomically efficient, available in carbon fibre and alloy, three stage, pricey, but I don't regret my choice. I also use 'em with my Squall Tarptent.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Backpacking Light! There are many great reviews and related articles on this site. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to read them. If you go that route, this would be very helpful:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/carbon_fiber_trekking_poles_review_summary

My review of the Gossamer Gear LT4 poles is coming out soon. I'd look hard at those. Komperdell makes some good lightweight carbon poles too, although some readers have reported durability issues (I have not despite hundreds of miles on a pair).

Alpkit makes a cool pole as well as Leki, Titanium Goat, and Life Link. REI brand poles are made by Komperdell.

50 would be inches- about 127 cm.

Consider weight a SERIOUS deciding factor. The difference in weight for an item that is moved repetitively all day is huge. Also carbon fiber dampens vibrations better than aluminum and provides a slight "shock-absorbing" feel.

Last- I've never heard of Fizan either- looks like it's time to get a couple of pairs in here for review!!!

Best of luck!
    Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Don't forget about the LuxuryLite Walking Staff. Although, I haven't used the staff, it is by far the most entertaining review I have read here on BPL. Thanks for the great write up and video Doug.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2008_luxurylite_big_survival_stik_staff_review.html

Edit: It looks someone at Luxury Lite mirrored the review for those without a a BPL membership.

http://www.luxurylite.com/stikreview.htm

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Did you read my recent TR on Blood Mountain? I ran into a guy using one. He showed it off to me. The blade and all. :D

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

I skimmed your TR and missed that. I will need to go back and take a closer read.

Did you run into any trail ninjas?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Fizan is an Italian pole manufacturer, they are available here in Australia.
    There is an Ultralite model, 5.4 oz, that folds to 22.8" , 52" fully extended.

My favourite are the BD 3 section because I fiddle a lot with them (I adjust them going up and down..) so the double flick lock works for me, but they are "heavy". at 9.5 oz each.
    Having used Doug's GG Lightrek , if you really want light and are not restricted by a budget, I would look at those .
    They are a pleasure to use, obviously light but strong enough too.
    Unfortunately I had to give them back….
    BTW, Carbon Fiber does absorb vibration without the odd feeling (I get) from the spring type absorption.

Franco

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

I'm really liking the Fizan Compact Ultra Lite poles after reading the reviews. Does anyone know if they are available in the states? I can't seem to find any distributor that will ship to the U.S.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools