Topic

24: The Shafthouse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 24: The Shafthouse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

New trip report at Dondo Outdoors.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Great report Dondo, I've been through that area but I haven't really taken time to explore it. I'll have to get back up there again. Actually I might be in the area soon, have any idea what the snow level is like at the higher elevations?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Excellent, Dondo!! Love the rock. The only thing missing is a pic or two of your campsite — your tent, pack, the rest of your gear! :)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks,Luke. That's a great question. I was wondering about that one myself. The only place I saw snow was up on the high ridges and in the shadow areas near Goose Creek. But I was below 9000' for the whole trip. The solo backpacker I mentioned seeing in my report had snowshoes strapped to his pack, so I was assuming he was going to do the Goose Creek-McCurdy-Hankins Pass loop. My best guess is that there is still quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations on the northern facing slopes. But it's been pretty warm here lately so the snow is likely to melt quickly.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks,Ben. Yeah, I was impressed by the size of that boulder. The photo I included of my shelter at the end of the day was one of several I took of my camp. One of deleted ones showed my pack, mattress, pillow, and sleeping bag. The photo looked too cluttered for my taste so I tucked the gear out of sight in the shelter. But I get your point. It's useful for other hikers to be able to check out the gear. Maybe on the next report I'll figure out how to arrange the gear in an artful way. ;-)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice Dondo!

As always I love your pics and your flowing, descriptive reports. Makes me feel closer to the woods.

Keep 'em coming!
    Thank you,
    Todd

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Todd. It's great to know that you are enjoying the reports. It helps to keep me motivated to keep making them.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Great report Dondo. That pic of your morning exercise routine is priceless…I almost fell out of my chair!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Well you know, Steve, gotta stay in shape. ;-)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Dondo,
    You need to find some pretty places to hike thru! ')

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

david nitsch

@mangoboy

I just got back from a 4 day loop through Lost Creek Wilderness. My daughter and I were (pick one: saddened/enraged/disgusted) that the USFS still allows cattle grazing in Lost Park and East Lost Park- IN the Wilderness. How many ranchers (probably few) pay how much (probably next to nothing) to allow their stupid cows to p**p and pillage such a beautiful place, while the Forest Disservice signs are all about LNT?

If you love Lost Creek like I do, call the South Park Ranger District of the Pike National Forest at 719-836-2031 and SCREAM bloody murder. This is not what Congress had in mind in 1980- perhaps 1880.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Tom. I'll keep looking for them. ;-)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Yeah, David, I share your disgust with the cow pie situation in Lost Park. Hiking through there back in October, I was afraid to take water out of the stream. Unfortunately, grazing in wilderness areas was grandfathered in, and I doubt that there is the political will in Washington to change things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools