Topic

Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Liner: trash compactor bag vs. official liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

Is there any benefits to buying a BPL of gossamer liner over just using a trash compactor bag like Skurka does?

Which is the most water proof?

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

I do not think the pack liners sold at BPL are any better than trash compactor liners. The trash compactor liners are much less expensive and you do not need to pay shipping. I've used them for a long time with very good results.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

I agree, no need for an expensive pack liner, just use a trash compactor bag. I've been doing this for over ten years and my stuff never gets wet.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Is there any benefits to buying a BPL of gossamer liner over just using a trash compactor bag like Skurka does?"

Sure, you can support a huge comglomorate like Hefty, or help BPL, GG, MLD, etc. to stay in business so they can continue to develop some really cool gear for us.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Nick, I sure hope you are being facetious because not only are pack liners from BPL, GG and MLD etc approximately $10, including shipping, but they are also much thinner than trash compactor bags.

TCP bags, $8 for 20. BPL, GG, MLD: $10 for two bags.

This is a no brainer to me. Believe me, the sale of pack liners do not make or break these companies– if a company depended on these sales, then they have a poor business model.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Your price of$8 for 20 is very good. Where did you buy them, what brand? In comparison I bought 10 at Safeway-their brand for about $5.50. Do-it-best hardware wanted the same price for only 5 Hefty bags.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have bought liners from both GG and MLD. I think they cost around $10 for 4 of them. Their quoted prices are for 2.

Yes, it is more than other sources, and I would not make a single item order. When I bought gear from both, I ordered some. I have been using the same liner for over a year, and it has lasted. For me, it is nominal cost, and the cottage manufacturers cannot compete. But I buy them for my own selfish reason… I want to see them stay in business. If not, eventually our only source for gear will be WalMart :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Watch out for trash compactor bags–more and more of them are now scented! Not only does a scented bag become a bear attractant, but the stench could make you ill (it does me!). Unless you can find unscented, contractor trash bags (also 2 mil) might be a better choice.

I agree with Nick that supporting the cottage industries rather than the big conglomerates might be a better choice from an ethical point of view.

I changed to dry bags to protect my critical insulation instead because at the same time I ran out of trash compactor bags and couldn't find any unscented, and I also got sick and tired of fighting the slippery plastic bags when packing up (shove down a small item and it would pop right back up). The weight is pretty much the same (1 large and 1 small dry bag vs. the trash compactor bag). Your mileage may of course vary!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have never seen scented trash compactor bags. Got my last box at Ace Hardware. They also had those pierce-able Camping Gaz canisters. Weird.

tommy d

@vinovampire

Another + for garbage bags – they're cheap and light enough. Also, if your trash bag gets damaged you can find another one just about anywhere. I've been using garbage bags since 1997 and been through some BIG storms without any problems, so I don't see any reason to change methods now.

That said, I do have a dry bag that I use as a stuff sack. They seem to work and I can see why others would use them for a variety of reasons.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

another vote for trash bags.

aside from the hassle of having to pull it out and put it over your pack as the rain starts,
    what are the pros and cons of using that trash bag as an outer pack cover v.s. an inner pack liner ?

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

It depends on what material your pack is made out of, but some materials absorb moisture and become very heavy. In this case it would be beneficial to use a pack cover to prevent the bag from getting wet and absorbing water.

I don't do this, but if I hiked in the rain a lot with a pack that absorbed water easily I might.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

If you are carrying a typical external frame pack with a hipbelt and shoulder straps that hook into the frame with clevis pins you can slide the compactor bag over the entire frame and cover the area at the bottom where your sleeping bag is lashed and just poke two small holes into the compactor bag to reattach your shoulder straps.Your shoulder straps and hip belt will get wet, but the pack is almost totally covered by the upside down compactor bag. On a long day in driving rain it's a good way to protect your gear.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I was looking at my ULA pack and wondering if I should go with anything. It looks like except for the stitching it is pretty waterproof. Are the stitches that big of a deal? could I just seam seal it and be done with it? Or should I just use a liner/pack cover?

-CS

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Jace,

Personally, I'd pick up a few dedicated pack liners and be done with it. Like Nick said earlier, they're inexpensive and very durable, a few liners could last you for a few seasons under moderate UL usage. Seam sealing the interior of a pack is long, messy and tedious business, one which I'd avoid. The repeated push and pull of gear into and out of your pack will flake off the seam sealant quickly, leaving you with a mess that will be hard to manage over time.

Unknown abc

@edude

I've used trash bags and personally I don't care for them very much. I like my dry bags better, and I've recently started using turkey bags which seem to work fine for me.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Anyone know where to get these in Canada? I went to Home Depot, and they had no idea what I was asking for.

I'm assuming a 'trash compactor' is a household appliance of some sort. I've never seen or even heard of one (until BPL, that is). This seems like it could be one of those defining Canadian traits . . . hockey, igloos, Mounties, maple syrup, and NO trash compactors.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I get my trash compactor bags usually from the grocery store eh.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

"Anyone know where to get these in Canada? I went to Home Depot, and they had no idea what I was asking for."

Jason,

Home Depot or Canadian tire carry contractor grade garbage bags…these are the heavier garbage bags…3 mil thickness depending on the brand. This is probably what you are looking for.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Except contractor bags are usually at least 30+ gallons and black while compactor bags are normally 18 gallons and white.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

You can purchase large 2 mil polyethylene bags online fairly cheap, the more you purchase the cheaper they get. They are REALLY cheap if you purchase 250 of them, but what do you do with so many?

I purchased 250 and sold most of them, but I don't recommend this strategy. On the other hand, I now have a lifetime supply, free due to the small profit I made on selling the others!

Perhaps a community-mided soul could buy them in bulk and sell them to BPL folks, as I did years ago…?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Robert Larue

@robertl

I've tried the BPL liners and they just don't last – I found that they couldn't even handle a weekend. The seams were a real weakness.

I've used hefty compactor bags for two summers now and one lasts all season… I end up replacing it even though it could probably keep going.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools