Topic

Peninsula Trail – Charles C. Deam Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Peninsula Trail – Charles C. Deam Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Squeezed in a weekend getaway on 05.21.2010 through 05.23.2010. This is the Peninsula Trail inside of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness near Bloomington, Indiana. The trail leads and dead ends into Lake Monroe; the largest lake in Indiana. Here are a few shots.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

My son and I did that one last year. I love that place. Hard to believe you're in Indiana.

Juston Taul

@junction

With all the rain in the area and with horses sharing the trail, things were a real mess. It was a real slip and slide on the way in. A buddy of mine and I hiked in at night. We hiked the 6-7 miles in and setup camp… stayed up till the sunrise came. Slept most of Saturday. Laid around the lake. Read a book. Went swimming. It was a real stress reliever. It was the same trial I did my first ever backpacking trip on. It was nice to be back. Sadly, there was a lot of trash left by other campers. I burned what I could. I carried out about 2-3lbs of old school 1/2" wide tent poles someone had left behind. It needs serious attention. I think the boaters are to blame.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Beautiful photographs Justin, that's quite possibly the gnarliest caterpillar I've ever seen. Know the species?

Juston Taul

@junction

Thanks Eugene. I'm not much of a photographer, but I try. As far as the caterpillar, i'm also unfamiliar. I'll see what I can find out about him. There is a guy online who identifies them for free. Donations accepted. I'll give him a shot at it.

ETA – Perhaps Halysidota tessellaris or Dasychira obliquata. I haven't a clue.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Yeah, I hate the fact those boaters can get to it. You should have to earn those spots.

Thanks for cleaning up.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

"Perhaps Halysidota tessellaris or Dasychira obliquata."

Juston,
    If I had a dollar for everytime I read that on BPL!

Juston Taul

@junction

I think we'd both have just one dollar. Haha! :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools