For years, I used MYOG frames with suspensions patterned after the defunct Warmlite packs (Easton refused to continue to make the fittings for them in smaller quantities); that is, with side arms that project to hug the belt around the waist, and no buckle at the front. This system served me well with several packs at 50-60 lb. loads, when I could never have tolerated that much weight with a belt buckled around my waist.
Thanks to old age, BPL and technology, there came a time to lighten up, big time. This meant no more hip huggers, as the aluminum frames made them too heavy. Curved carbon tubes might have helped here, but tried Fibraplex and others, and could not find any. So what to do.
I had an old Alpine Designs pack with an hourglass shaped ABS frame supporting a suspended mesh backband (similar to the Exos) that I favored for trail work, as it was so comfortable with various implements thrown into it, even without a waistbelt, but only up to around 20 lbs. Probably this was due to the complete back coverage of the mesh backband, and the flexiblity of the ABS.
So I made a Spectra Gridstop top loader and sewed it onto the Alpine Designs backband, with some improvements. As before, I find that the pack is great up to around 20-25 lbs. Much above that, and the Osprey waistbelt I installed becomes uncomfortable for me.
All of the above is to illustrate, that from my experience, the frame is key, so long as the weight is no more than what the frame will accept to function effectively. You can attach whatever you want to the frame system, so long as the pack, and the way you pack it, keep the center of gravity as close to your back as possible. In this connection, was glad to hear that Osprey had redesigned their packs for this year with less space between the suspended mesh and pack, to bring the CG forward.
If I could ever find a carbon hourglass frame, and curved carbon tubes for the hip projections, to make a really light Warmlite style packframe, I would go back to my earlier design in a minute. There is nothing like dispensing with that waist buckle. FYI, a webbing turnbuckle arrangement was used to pull and keep the belt tight around the hips – just had to reach down and pull the webbing forward on the outside of each arm, and the belt tightened right up.
Good luck with your experiments. There will always be a better mousetrap.
Sam