Topic

My DIY Cylinder stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My DIY Cylinder stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It looks great. Certainly makes me think about hiking in a ways just to set up a base camp to use one!

Hmmm, add a steam powered, closed circuit generator for my laptop and I may have a new writer's studio…

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I'm blown away by the elegence of your stove.

The idea to use snowpeak titanium plates as end caps was brilliant. When I first saw it I thought you were using titanium pot lids.

I just have one important question, what diameter is your stove pipe and is there any general rule of thumb or advice on how big it needs to be?

I assume it makes the convection that keeps the flame hot, and the longer it is the more convection presure. I guess without it being at least a certain diameter smoke would start to find its way out of the cracks in the stove rather then in.

Obviously though the smaller diameter the pipe the less weight and material.

BTW, glad you posted the picture of it glowing at night.

I was also wondering how hot the pipe got, I guess that answers my question. I assume from looking at it that I should use titanium or stainless steel for at least the first foot but then if I want to use aluminum I'd be fine. Would you concur?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I assume from looking at it that I should use titanium or stainless steel for at least the first foot but then if I want to use aluminum I'd be fine. Would you concur?

Michael,
    I haven't used the stove discussed in this thread, but I do own and use a Ti-Goat cylinder stove. If you get a good burn going, the entire pipe glows red hot and the flames will shoot up and right out the end of the chimney. I think aluminum wouldn't last too long.

Mike Lamper
    BPL Member

@lamper

Mate,

Are these still going for sale?

How can I add myself to the list?

Cheers

Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools