Topic

My DIY Cylinder stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My DIY Cylinder stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

I wanted it to meet 3 main requirements:
    1.No parts that could be lost
    2.Easy assembly
    3.Ultra lightweight

This is so easy to assemble and only takes a few minutes. The stove drafts excellent and the pipe seals real well where it goes into the stove body. I'm quite happy. Here are some pics of tonights maiden burn.

1stburn11.jpg

1stburn10.jpg

1stburn8.jpg

1stburn7.jpg

1stburn6.jpg

1stburn5.jpg

1stburn4.jpg

1stburn3.jpg

1stburn2.jpg

1stburn1.jpgstove

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

stove with snow peak on it

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

stove

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Ok, this is made out of 100"X12" .004 ss shimstock, cut a 27" length for your stove body, and that leaves you a 6' pipe, a couple of snow peak titanium plates, some 1/16" ss cable, ferrules, a 1" ss hinge, a go lite shangr-la 5(sunnysports has them on sale for $270 right now, reg price is $350) a $40 stove jack through titanium goat, and there you go.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Excellent Don, I could never see myself using a cylinder style stove but I respect and appreciate you posting your hard work. Your stove looks very polished.

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

What are you using for the ends? They look like snowpeak plates?

How much were the materials? I may have to build one of these.

Also, what is the weight? and does it pack down like the tigoat stove?

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Yes they are snow peak plates. Once this pipe is heated, it easily goes back to a 6' pipe for sticking out of your shelter. Those are snow peak titanium plates. The entire setup is very compact ul. I used spray paint can lids on each end of the packed up stove to protect my stuff sack it goes in

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

stoveHaving a hard time posting pics, this is the strangest forum I have been on lol

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

stove

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

I have approx $90 in itstove in sl5

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

I havent weighed it. This is for bow hunting and packing in and is a compact as a wood burner as they come. Heats the shelter up nicelystove

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

legs

The legs are as simple as it can get. I used 4 12" long 1/4" aluminum rods with a 3/8" spacer drilled and threaded and this way each leg can be adjusted in height as needed. They sore also in the stove pipe for packing.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Like others, I can't see myself ever using one, but I admire the cunning design.

Doing the numbers to estimate the weight:

100" x 12" x 0.004" stainless = 78.7cm3

Stainless density ~ 7.75 g/cm3, so we have about 610g of stainless.

Add the two plates at ~ 60g each = 120g

Guess 100g for all the fittings, which brings us to about 830g (29oz). Not bad at all.

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

Well done….don't sweat the cool reception;here a beer can with a few holes and some dry gas in it; is too heavy….

My interests also are in bow hunting so I know where you are coming from;very cool.

Don't know if you post here but I'm sure several folks would like to see your design;

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/25/1/Backpack_Hunting

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Thanks Dan and guys. Yes, this is used for cold weather archery whitetail and elk hunts, where a heated shelter will be a nice creature comfort in the evening, or if a guy is grounded at camp in some heavy cold rainy weather.

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Kevin thanks for the math figures too.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Really nice work Don.

I don't camp below 32 degrees, but I might with that toasty stove. Have you ever checked out Ti Goat?

You could shave some weight off your stove by using Ti sheet metal instead of SS. Maybe some Ti rods for the legs. Although you'll bring the price up 5 times. But if money is no concern check in to it.

If you are base camping, weight may not matter so much.

Thanks for sharing!

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I have a sheet of Ti, (20cm x 100cm x 0.20mm) for a cylinder stove, and like you, two Snow Peak Trek plates.

The two pot supports/end plate retainers are two 6mm Ti tubes with a third for the base. I have to buy a set of 3mm x 38mm Ti servo push rods and washers to secure these.

I bought a set of 3mm × 90mm Ti servo push rods as legs, which mount into stainless steel rivet nuts on the stove body.

The servo push rods have Ti knurled nuts. They were bought from a RC model aircraft supplier.

I also have to buy a Ti-Goat Ti stovepipe, damper and a stove jack.

My aim is for the lightest weight possible, as I have a spine and hip injury. I could use thinner Ti for the cylinder, though 0.20mm should wear very well, and its what I have.

I'd originally bought the sheet of Ti for another stove project (the Ed Tyanich Airscape) when it dawned on me to use Trek plates to make a cylinder stove with it! (o:

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Yea, I have seen the ti goat setup and for the relatively small weight savings compared to the higher price, I just went with the .004 ss. So many guys that build their own use the ss too. Most of my hunts and usage with this setup are done where a little extra weight isn't going to matter. When on my out of state hunts, since I am the one with the cool tipi stove setup, my buddy has to carry my food for his rent payment to get to share the shelter with me..lol…so as you can see, the extra weight won't kill me.

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

Would you consider making and selling one of those?

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Yea, I have thought about making them for others as I have had a lot of requests.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Put me down as interested in buying one from you.

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Yea, I will make and sell these for people. I have had several requests, and I will send you a pm with a price soon. Thanks.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

I would love to get a price quote on the stove.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I have a SS one with a 10" diam made from .010. It burns really well. Mine clips together and has 3 thumb screws.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools