Topic

Self Contained Solo Cooksets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Self Contained Solo Cooksets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Kembel

@jiffybank

Here are the results of my research on self contained solo cooksets for my upcoming trip to Iceland.

My goal was to find a cookset that:
    1) stores an 8oz/220g fuel canister AND a stove inside
    2) has a pot and a cup
    3) is as light as possible

Here are the sets I looked at:

1) Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cookset
    2) REI Ti Ware Cup and Pot Set

These two are pretty much the same. Super lightweight (5-6 oz), but only big enough to store a narrow 4oz/110g canister (like SnowPeak).

3) Snow Peak Trek 900

Super light (6oz), tall and wide enough to store a large fuel canister, but comes with a pan i/o a cup. Bummer!

4) MSR Reactor

Cool, efficient system, but far too bulky and heavy (19oz).

5) GSI Outdoor Pinnacle Soloist Cookset

Stores a large canister and a tiny stove (like a Snow Peak LiteMax). Pot and cup. Check. Well thought out extras like the dual purpose lid (strainer on pot and sipping lid on mug) and wash basin carrying case. The only downside is it's heavier than I'd like (11oz). Alas.

I ended up selecting the Pinnacle Soloist, trading weight for everything else.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

MSR ti kettle and a plastic up would work

Tony Pearson
    BPL Member

@tactics

Locale: Dallas, TX

I actually store my fuel can outside the pot but still inside the mesh sack that came with my Trek 700.

Here are a few pictures. One with it all packed and another with everything out. I only have a 110g fuel can here but I am pretty sure I can fit a 220g in the mesh sack if I wanted to.

With the 110g fuel can, the whole thing weights 16 oz. with everything that I have in there.

uno

dos

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My goal was to find a cookset that:
    1) stores an 8oz/220g fuel canister AND a stove inside
    2) has a pot and a cup
    3) is as light as possible

IMUSA 12 cm pot- 3.5 oz
    Sea to Summit X Mug- 2.7 oz (if diameter less than 12 cm)
    Brunton crux stove to fit in concavity of 8 oz canister

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

i use a fosters can in a 4 cup ziplock container. I holds my stove, folding spork, windscreen, minidropper of soap, and 4 oz. fuel bottle(there many be room for an additional 2 oz. bottle too). If it is really cold out I'll use a reflectex(spelling?) cozy over the ziplock to rehydrate and retain warmth. Either the beer can pot or the ziplock can function as a cup, usually the cozied ziplock for my coffee. It works really well. I think with 4 oz. of fuel it weights about 11oz. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.
    *I missed the whole canister thing- pays to read first:) Still here is my $.02

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

P1010242
    BPL 550 pot
    Caldera 550 Cone
    Lots of storage in both containers for your STUFF.

Geoff Kembel

@jiffybank

Golly. Looks like I should have posted here first for ideas.

Tony, I like your setup w/ the fuel outside the pot, especially for a 110g canister.

And the Sea to Summit X Mug opens up a whole new set of possibilities. At 4.25" diameter by < 0.5" height collapsed, it would fit in any pot that holds a 220g canister. E.g.

Snow Peak Trek 900 (6oz) and X Mug (2.4oz). 8.4oz for pot/pan/cup. Not bad.

Or if you don't need the pan: MSR Ti Tea Kettle (4oz) and X Mug. 6.4oz for pot/lid/cup.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

I use an alky stove set-up consiting of the following:

-SP 600 (2.8oz)
    -Fancy feast can (0.3)*
    -Bandana (0.5)*
    -Folding spork (0.4)*
    -Foil windscreen (0.5)*
    -Foil lid (0.3)*
    -Dr. B's handsoap (1)*
    -Mini bic lighter (0.4)*
    -Rubber band (doesn't register)
    -Empty fuel bottle (1)

All of the asterix items fit inside the SP 600, the rubber band goes around the top/bottom to hold it all into place and to stop the pot handles from bouncing.

My fuel bottle just goes on the outside of my pack for saftey reasons.

The whole set-up, including soap and empty fuel bottle weighs 7.2oz.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

You can fit alot of STUFF in the 550 Caldera Cone Container.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

It's well known that pots which are wider than they are tall are more efficient. That's the 1st thing I look for in a pot.

"Cooksets" are not something I've ever been into since I quit using my ancient Sigg Tourist cookset/windscreen fro my Svea 123 stove. To me a "set" inplies more thatn a pot. It usually means a lid, cup and possibly more. Since abandonong my Sig Tourist cookset I've never found a cook "set" that was light enough or met my needs. I have a 1 L. "Travelling Light" aluminum pot W/ piepan lid, Cool Whip bowl, plastic measuring/drinking cup & Lexan spoon. That's my current "set"

I Do like the Evernew aluminum & ceramic interior 740 ml. pot but… I'd ditch the lid heavy & remove the handles and handle holder bracket & use my light aluminum pot gripper. Then I'd make another aluminum piepan lid W/ taped on wire key ring lid "handle".

Eric

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I use the GVP caldera cone cookset sold by Gossamer Gear; uses Esbit tablets, similar setup to Jay's posted above. Very lightweight, and I love how the GVP set is totally self-contained in a small lightweight package. Uses a Fosters can as the cooking pot.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I just bought this
    moosejaw #826452

crux lite stove:2.9oz
    Terra Solo Cook Set:7.8oz
    total weight=10.7oz

it will hold a 220g fuel canister and the stove, has a pot, and while not technically a cup, you could use the top as one?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

packed with a 110g gas can insidethe stuff i use i use an evernew ti pot 600 with lid, snow peak ti cup with folding handle removed, brunton folding ti spork which is now a spoon after i reshaped in my lab, a primus micron ti stove with primus gas cannister 110g, a mini bic plus a small cloth. a second gas cannister fits nicely on top of the lip, but is extra weightor you could switch to thisthe top set up is about 400g, incl a full gas can, or you could switch to somethin like this for a slight weight saving

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Excellent.

Bren, what tool did you use to reshape the titanium spork?

A grinding wheel?

Also, I detect a bobby pin in there. That must be an additional gram!

–B.G.–

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

kia ora Bob, i just used a dremel type tool to whip the teeth off, then filed the rest, finished with some wet n dry sandpaper. i cant believe i got sucked into buying a spork in the first place. get ya digital scale out Bob, that bobby pin is only .5g. i prefer the gas over the alc set up anyway, also note the plastic cap on the gas cannister, thats a gram right there, i just carry that round because the jump into light weight backpacking was starting to freak me out :^)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools