Topic

Why pack out poo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why pack out poo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Greg- Touche!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Craig, what's the matter? Shy bowels?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Why has this subject taken up three simultaneous threads? The topic is relevant but lets calm down and get focused."

'Tis a subject wide and deep, BJ. Three threads is the bare minimum required to do it justice.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Why has this subject taken up three simultaneous threads? The topic is relevant but lets calm down and get focused.BJ"

Yeah, says the one who just added more posts to all three threads! :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

But seriously, if this becomes a reality in many wilderness areas, as I believe it will, it seems the safest way of carrying multiple days worth will be some sort of ultralight crap tube, styled like those used in rock climbing. Crap on a paper, wrap it up, into the tube it goes. Preferably something with a screw top, good o-rings, and that can be lashed to the outside of a pack.

Does that mean we'll start seeing waste disposal stations at trailheads? The trash cans at Whitney Portal have to be pretty foul after a busy weekend.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Even though this is the most informative bunch I have wandered into, sometimes the entertainment is to much to pass up. Maybe an UL MYOG poo tube using aircraft grade carbon fiber.
    I really do hope this issue does see some attention though because the more of us that are out there the worse it gets.
    I never really have felt comfy covering it with a large rock as suggested. Some of the critters around here can pick up rocks bigger than me. I would rather not give them a reason to get curious.
    BJ

Anonymous
    Inactive

"But seriously, if this becomes a reality in many wilderness areas, as I believe it will," then PULEEZE don't call them wilderness areas. :(

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Good point Tom.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Does that mean we'll start seeing waste disposal stations at trailheads? The trash cans at Whitney Portal have to be pretty foul after a busy weekend."

For some years now, the Mount Whitney Trailhead has had ordinary bearproof trash cans for ordinary use, and then "brown" cans for WAG bags. The brown ones are situated several feet away from the trail.

Or, would that be bear poof?

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Yes, be seriously cautious when burning TP!! Multiple wildfires have been started this way. Heck, I almost started a wildfire burning TP once. Burned a little in a slight wind in South America then spent a few panicked minutes trying to put out a grass fire. Close call and NOT COOL.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Do bears pack out their poo? My guess is not.. Burying it or burning it is one thing, but carrying it back home is another.. I have a rule. No Shit in the Pack.. Plus I only go to places that allow me to fertilize..

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm not sure that it's been conclusively established that they actually poo in the woods.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Though I prefer to bury my doo, I don't think it should be a limiting factor as to where I pick my trips. IMO there are some places that are way too nice to put on hold, just because I feel squeamish about packing out. Overnight trips on Mt. Shasta, Mt. Whitney, and Rainier just aren't possible unless you pack out…and its a very small price to pay to be able to see some of the most awesome places in the lower 48. I remember how sick i felt about the idea of packing out, but upon actual practice…it really wasn't that bad. It was a lil dreadful to have to resuse the same bag for a couple of nights, with each re-opening of the bag being akin to seeing that old crazy ex-gf that you thought/hoped you forgot about. Just remember to bring one of those smell proof opsacks…you'd be amazed at potency of the WMD your body is able to create with just clif bars and mountainhouse freeze dried meals.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Konrad:

I carry one bag for each day so as not to reuse. :)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

1 bag per day !? That's BPL Blasphemy!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, they're free for the taking — at least in Whitney. :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. Worn Base Weight
    2. Packed Base Weight
    3. Consumables Weight
    4. Excretables Weight (maybe this should be #2)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

They want you to pack out the TP in Yosemite because critters will unearth your buried treasure and scatter the TP around. They discourage burning the tp because of the fire hazzard. Generally I will burn but there have been a couple of cases where I've double bagged.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Come on guys, it isn't that bad or gross. You just keep it TIGHTLY sealed.

No worse than packing out diapers I can tell you!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What do you mean, "gross"?

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I have a rule. No Shit in the Pack.. Plus I only go to places that allow me to fertilize.."

+1

Pieter Kaufman

@pieter

Hah! Great point.

As someone with a 20 month old boy, I can concur that the whole idea of packing out poo on a backpacking trip seems quite routine. It really isn't that big a deal.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've packed poo multiple times. And I ziplock my used TP nearly all the time. No big deal.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools