Topic

recommendation for a windy wet weather tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) recommendation for a windy wet weather tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Nallo 2 in Storm

Some Nallo 2's in storms videos (a quick, 2-minute search is all it takes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KKZDhoj_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwDOBSBnlA&NR=1

YouTube video

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Chris Townsend has used the Nallo 2 a lot. here's a quote from
    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.rec.walking/2005-08/msg01608.html

"Having used various Hilleberg tunnels extensively, including on snow camping trips in very stormy places (Greenland, Spitsbergen) and, with a Nallo 2, for a walk the length of Norway and Sweden I can say that pitched properly they are very taut."

So yes, I believe they're pretty bomber :)

Edit: i don't think the tent in the first video was pitched correctly

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

i don't think the tent in the first video was pitched correctly

No, true, but it still held up well! :-)

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

IMO, the Allak is too much tent and too much weight for one.

Ben,

I understand "too much weight", but what do you mean by "too much tent"?

–MV

Rolf Exner

@rolfex

Locale: Melbourne

"has anyone seen the Vaude Hogan Ultralight?
    Has anyone had any experience with this tent? it does seem very lightweight….but does it seriously sacrifice strength for weight?"

I have this tent, and I've been quite happy with it – quick to set up, sufficiently roomy for two, waterproof, and warm (no mesh for the inner). Be aware that there are two versions that are easily confused with one another – a slightly bigger and heavier one sometimes called the Ultralight 2, with a height of 105cm and an advertised weight of 1700g, and the Ultralight 1 at 95cm and 1500g. I have the bigger one. I think the smaller would be too small for two (that's probably why it's called the '1').

One disappointment for me with the tent was that the weight was seriously understated. Instead of 1700g, the trail weight is 1950g, so it's not as light as I'd hoped. I imagine the same is true of the '1', so be warned.

The other issue relates to its performance in strong winds. It has a pole design like the MSR Hubba Hubba but without a crosspole, i.e. a single ridge pole from front to back, so a side wind will really bend the tent unless you fully stake it out. As it turned out, the only serious wind I encountered was when pitched on a rock platform, and finding suitable rocks to weight down the side guy lines was a struggle (my previous tents have all been fully self supported). Would I take it to Tassie? Only if I could be assured of being able to pitch it in reasonably wind sheltered locations. I trust its waterproofness, but I'm not so sure about the Tassie westerlies.

David Ure

@familyguy

"IMO, the Allak is too much tent and too much weight for one. I would go with the freestanding Soulo — or the Nallo 2 if you crave a lot of space."

The Allak actually has a much better space to weight ratio than the Soulo and more usable space and better ventilation options than the Nallo.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

The Vaude Power Lizard maybe isn't as storm worthy as you would like, but it looks v.interesting at only 1 Kg.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/10265/SubProducts/102655050&Locale=en_NL&NavSignature=5,5,4

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

David:

Two-person tents will usually have better space to weight ratios than solo tents. But that doesn't mean a solo camper should automatically carry a heavier two-person tent.

The Allak has many fine attributes — but I wouldn't recommend anyone hauling a 5-6 pound tent all around the world for solo use!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

If you don't want the ultralight options, consider the Montbell Crescent series. The two person tent is a bit tight for two, but roomy for one plus gear.

It is extremely good in strong, wet winds and lighter and roomier than tents other people have mentioned earlier.

I was using the Crescent 2 on the beach off the tip of Montauk, Long Island, NY during a hurricane. It was hard to stand up under such conditions.
    I ended up hanging my wet clothing inside.

I was the only one who not only had a good night sleep, no flapping of tent walls, but also woke totally dry, with my hanging clothing almost totally dry as well.

Others were kept awake by the flapping and/or spray coming in.

It has a lower roof than some of the others, the price you pay for a very wind shedding design. It does have enough room to sit up and read.

A good part of the reason for it's ability to shed bad weather is that it has something like 15 tie down points. The additional stakes and line add weight, but this is something you want if you think the winds will be that strong.

I want to emphasize that it is very quite in strong winds. I visited others in their more expensive Scandinavian tents and what a difference. A much better nights sleep was had by me. The walls of the other tents sounded like drums a pounding, while mine didn't seem to deflect more than a few inches and the wind just seemed to avoid my tent altogether.

PS. I do believe that the popular tunnel and dome 4 season tents can hold up to extreme conditions well, but they tend to keep you awake with their thumping all night in strong winds.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Yeh, i checked out the Montbell Crescent2, its fine sizewise…..im only 5' 5"…..so i can fit most tents fine.
    Yeh the reason i had a tough time with the Allak and Nallo, is because i plan to use it also in tropical monsoon conditions as well….and for that…well, the Allak has awesome ventilation.

What i think i may do, is when im at work….ill get the list of tents we stock (cos i get a sweet 50% off the rrp)….I'll list them here…and see what people think of them.

If not, then….i guess Hilleberg it might be! Too bad, no one stocks them here, so i have to pay full price and shipping….argh, what a pain in the backside!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

From my experience, the Crescent 2 not only impressed me with the way it seemed to be unphased by the wind, but that it seemed to have better ventilation than the Hillibergs. One side can be pitched with much more ventilation, which makes a difference in a tropical monsoon situation.

I have also used this tent in freezing weather and although it wasn't as warm as the Hilibergs I've tried, it was obviously better ventilated. This is something I want in warmer weather.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Another note,

Although i think the Montabell Crescent 2 is superior to the Hillibergs for your situation, I personally would go with a pyramid floorless design with an added bivy or bathtub bug net.
    I find pyramids excellent at shedding bad weather and they can be lighter, well ventilated and with more headroom. The bathtub bug net can take care of extremely wet and buggy conditions and you have more flexibility. Something like the MLD Duomid with net tent or others come to mind.

I personally use the Gossamer Spinnshelter with a meteor bivy in extreme situations lately, but it seems to scare others, so I don't want you to think I encourage it:-)

Mind you, I am not an expert.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

i really do prefer a tent with a floor. But again, it all depends on the price. I'll list what we stock in the shop's inventory…..cos i would really like to cash in on a good staff discount.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The MB Crescent is a "hybrid" single wall / double wall tent. No direct experience with this particular model (except I know MB makes first-rate quality gear) but I would recommend using these hybrid tents in temperate climes with low to moderate humidity.

1. High winds. Similar to single wall tarptents using non-breathable fabrics — the Crescent relies on ventilation all around to manage condensation. But in high winds, this can make for a very drafty and uncomfortable tent in harsh winds — and esp. in harsh and cold winds. And if you block the mesh significantly, then you are faced with potentially serious condensation. Double wall tents, you are much, much better protected from winds blowing directly in.

2. High Humidity — Again, condensation is the problem here. Sure, double wall tents get condensation too — but on the fly and safely out of reach. Not so for tents like the Crescent — which doesn't have a lot of room for the user to stay clear when sitting up and changing clothes, etc.

Great tent for certain locale and temps — but if OP is looking for one tent to take "anywhere" — then I would recommend against this hybrid (as well as any single wall tent or tarptent made with non-breathable fabrics).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Remember, as far as ventilation, you can get a mesh inner to replace the fabric inner on the Nallo 2.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Remember, as far as ventilation, you can get a mesh inner to replace the fabric inner on the Nallo 2."

True. I made my own mesh inner, and even in a gale force storm it was calm inside the tent. Although the Nallo doesn't ventilate as well as some tents I've used, at least you can pitch it with the "inner only" on hot, dry nights. Hot wet nights would get pretty uncomfortable, but I'm guessing that's true of any tent.

The Nallo will always have the issue of needing to be pegged. It's not unique to the Nallo, but again you have to weight the benefits of a lighter tent that requires staking with the heavier tents that can be used free-standing. For the record, I would not be caught in a storm in any tent that wasn't staked, whether 'free-standing' or not. Tents with folks inside them are prone to blowing away in a serious gust if the tent is not anchored to something…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

As far as free standing goes, I consider it a non-issue. You probably don't want to use your shelter without fastening it to the ground. I don't consider free standing a plus. Free standing usually adds weight and I wouldn't want my shelter to not be pegged down anyway.

And the double wall vs. single wall debate goes on.

I have used both. I camp in the North East US, notorious for high humidity and cool nights. I have done 10 night trips where it rained every day.
    I prefer single walled shelters.

I have some condensation, so what, it was never a big deal, even inside a rain cloud on a mountain top at 40 degrees f.

I have never experienced the rivers of water that people claim they see in single wall shelters. I like my ventilation, if you have a lot of condensation, you are closing off your breathing air.

I get claustrophobic in double wall tents, feel like I can't breath. I sleep better with a breeze blowing through my shelter, even below freezing.

I'd rather have the space and not tie it up with the second wall.
    Double walls also add weight, weight that I don't want to carry.

And on the subject, a pyramid or any tarp with a floored bug bivy or net tent IS a double wall tent.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

yeah, i originally liked the BD Highlight/Ahwahnee and the Hilleberg Unna cos of the large doors……its just a feature i like…having 2 large doors on either side for cross ventilation, and just in general for summer use….(cos yeah on the mainland in summer it does get up round the 40 degree mark….and it makes one feel less claustraphobic having a nice set of large doors!

If only there was a double wall, like the ahwahnee….with dual vestibules…..

there is the Allak….gah, da*n the weight!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, it's hard to have it all, huh. Sure, two doors/vestibules are "nice" but do you really need them for solo use? Remember, you have to carry the darn thing every step of the way!

What about the Soulo? Solo, totally freestanding and 'bombproof'. Much lighter than the Allak. When the weather is hot and it's raining — you have to close all the doors no matter how many you have — so it's all sealed in no matter what. And when it's hot but not raining — you can set the Soulo just with the inner tent to help with air flow.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Siggy, my wife and I have the Allak – it's an excellent 2P tent for winter and very windy conditions, and it's much more stable and quiet in the wind than the tunnel designs due to the fully-supported and wind-shedding dome shape. Sleep so well inside while others struggle with flapping and wall deflection and having to shake snow off the tops of their tents in the middle of the night. Sets up very fast and easy. We're also going to use it for sea kayaking trips with camp near shore winds. I'm 6 ft and my wife 5 ft 6 and we have plenty of space inside for us + gear and the vestibules are plenty roomy. That said, I'd never use it as a solo tent – you don't need that extra room and you don't need the 2 doors for one person. It's just not worth the weight for a single person and for 3 season use. If you are insistent on double wall, I would definitely stick with a 1P tent.

The only person I know who uses a winter 2P double wall for one person is a BPL staff writer who uses the 2P Jannu solo for winter and high altitude – it's about the same sq. footage as the Allak but with lower height and sharper-sloping walls to shed wind (which also reduces usable space) and one vestibule. He likes the extra space in winter. But again he never uses it as a 1P for 3 season non-high altitude use.

Stick with a 1P – your back, knees and feet will thank you.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

That's all I have to say :^)

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools