Topic

recommendation for a windy wet weather tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) recommendation for a windy wet weather tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Hi guys,

I was looking at recommendations for solo tents, able to stand up to very harsh wind conditions and wet weather. I'll mostly use it in temps near 30 – 10 degrees F or so.
    Not just a simple shed that can stand up to the weather, but something with a good design/vestibules etc, so one can go about ones business in comfort whilst being lightweight.
    Hillebergs, MSRs, Expeds, Sierra Designs,Bibler/Black Diamond, Integral Designs…what do you recommend?

Cheers folks!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Heading to Tasmania?

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

hahaha, Trav, you have a keen memory.

I am, but also want to use it at higher altitudes of Indonesia near 3000m during the wet season (i am half Indo, so i always go back visiting and hiking), New Zealand and some snowfields here and there.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Hilleberg Akto, Bibler Eldorado both come to mind.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

If I ever get off this continent to go backpacking, I do believe I'm going to hit up that corner of the world first. Good luck with your tent search!

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Thanks Jack,

Yeah the Bibler/BD Eldorado and Ahwanhee were up there on my list, but some say the stability in high winds is lacking.

I was also checking out the Akto and Soulo, sound like quality tents. Any other suggestions?

Trav, yeah, if you do come down this way, make sure u go through New Zealand too……..why? well…we have all seen Lord of the Rings ;)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Siggy, I've got some friends that just did a two week trip through NZ. It was a typical vacation, not a backpacking one, though they did some day hikes. They couldn't say enough amazing things about the country.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I was looking at recommendations for solo tents, able to stand up to very harsh wind conditions and wet weather. I'll mostly use it in temps near 30 – 10 degrees F or so.
    Not just a simple shed that can stand up to the weather, but something with a good design/vestibules etc, so one can go about ones business in comfort whilst being lightweight.

Check out this recent thread.

–MV

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Windy and wet? Look for a light weight but reasonably sturdy double wall tent — preferably one of the "European designs" — where the outer and inner tents are pitched together. Avoid single wall tents and tarptents.

If windy, rainy and temperate to cold — then the Hilleberg Soulo is worth looking into. If humid and warm, then look for something with a mesh inner (or simply create more mesh-backed zippable windows on the Hilleberg Soulo inner tent.

Prashant Menon
    Spectator

@sphynx

@ Siggy,

I noticed you were considering the $495 Bibler tent on Gearswap, just thought you should know, the Soulo is going for $440 on sale at Bentgate mountaineering with the coupon found in Gear Deals..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31235

edit: btw sale only lasts till the end of April

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

hey guys,

thanks again for the suggestions.
    Tonnes of people online have been recommending the Bibler/BD Ahwahnee, saying its extremely versatile and easy to pitch and very waterproof.
    I thought cos it was a singleskin, it might have condensation problems, but some say it doesnt.
    Does anyone here have any practical experience with an Ahwahnee?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Biblers… are single wall tents that use wp/b fabrics. In a nutshell, these work best in cold and dry ("alpine") climates. If that's your type of weather, then Bibler can be an excellent choice. However, if climate is rainy/humid (wet snow, etc.) — then breathability can be severely compromised!!

A double wall tent like the Hilleberg Soulo will be more versatile — i.e. equally great for alpine climes as above — as well as cold/humid climes (lots of wet snow for example) — and temperate climes as well (you can pitch with just the uncoated/breathable inner tent, for example).

For me, if I choose to limit my tent's versatility, then I'll want something back — like considerably less weight. If I don't see much weight savings, that would sway my decision toward a more versatile double wall tent.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Trav, yeah, if you do come down this way, make sure u go through New Zealand too……..why? well…we have all seen Lord of the Rings ;)"

And Avatar ;)

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

As a Tasmanian I can tell you that we don't see many of the "alpine"-style tents like the Bibler in use here. We do see a lot of Hillebergs, and Macpacs, and some Expeds. I have a Nallo 2for my wife and I and it is fantastic. For solo use, any of the Hilleberg solo tents would be great – we see Aktos, Unnas, and Suolos around here quite a bit now. A Tarptent Scarp 1 (with the new low fly) would be great too.

I've looked for lighter solo options for Tasmania, but I haven't found anything yet that I'm 100% convinced would be suitable.

Good luck!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Siggy,

I'd probably stay away from the single skin mountaineering tents as well, especially if you're planning on using it in Indo. I just came back from five weeks on Java, at the end of the rainy season, but I reckon that unzipping your door without some coverage over it would have your tent flooded in about 6-8 seconds!!

Plus they give you VERY little ventilation/cross breeze. Personally I'd be going for a Nallo or Minaret, which will be pretty warm even when you don't want it, but essentially bomb proof, or a Duomid with a solo insert.

The Duomid will be much more versatile summer and winter, lighter, but not as warm in winter. Much better ventilation in Indo, and easier site selection. Maybe ask Ron to wrap the silnylon a little higher on the outer edge of the inner to resist splashing.

This was half way up Gunung Gede, 3000m We walked 25km this day (15miles) after the guide got lost.)
    Half way up Gunung Gede

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

yeah, im now quite considering a double skin.

Im workin at Mountain Designs now, so i might investigate our own brand of tents. Apparently after reading online reviews people rate the Plateau as decent….and considering the staff discount i might dig in for a swell deal ;).

If any of you guys have had first hand experience with Eureka or MD tents (both of which we stock), please let me know!
    Ive only ever used a TNF meso 22 that belongs to a friend.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Have you looked at the New Zeland-made Aarn offerings of the Pacer tents? They were designed for New Zealand and Tasmania and are lightweight, plus use hiking poles for their structure, so are stronger than regular tent poles. Plus the tent is very aerodynamic. I've read quite a number of great reviews of the Pacer tents whilst being used in Tassie.

Pacer 1 Tent

Ed: I'm not entirely sure, but I think the photos on the site are old and that the trekking poles now attach to the outside of the tent.

One review

(Aarn used to design tents for Vango in Scotland.)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If light weight is high on your priorities, then I would stay away from Eureka — and possibly MD as well. Whatever your strength requirement, you can always (and easily) find lighter options than Eureka.

For car camping or if light weight isn't critical — Eureka is a non-sexy but good brand. Scouts here use them a lot.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I'd have to agree that you're best to stick with tents tried and tested in those harsher environments. MacPac and Hilleberg are solid performers, and the weight of MacPac tents has come down considerably in the last year thanks to newer materials.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

yup, ok im now quite convinced on a Hilleberg.

what do people think is better? the a lighter 2 person tunnel, or a freestanding allak or something similar with more strength?

Im leaning more toward a 2 person, for versatility.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you're convinced on Hilleberg, I've got a Nallo2 GT, never used, I'd be happy to sell. If interested, PM me and let me know….

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Yup, go with the Nallo2, provided you're not a really tall person…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

IMO, the Allak is too much tent and too much weight for one. I would go with the freestanding Soulo — or the Nallo 2 if you crave a lot of space.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

who has used the nallo2 in tremendous winds? how sturdy is it?

typically, is the nallo2 hard to peg out say on stoney grounds? (this is why i was leaning more toward a self standing Allak or something similar)

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

has anyone seen the Vaude Hogan Ultralight?
    Has anyone had any experience with this tent? it does seem very lightweight….but does it seriously sacrifice strength for weight?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools