Topic

Cuben Fiber Dry Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Dry Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Check out the Cuben Fiber Dry Bag I built. It is 14" tall and 9" wide and will hold 5Liters.. I built it using the .75oz cuben fiber which is the same stuff I am building my tarps out of. It weighs 18.8 grams (.66 ounces). It is 100% water tight.. I plan to sell these in 5 or 6 sizes down the road. Price: Half Granite Gear's ($20.00??? For Size Shown)

dry bag

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Glad you are being reasonable in your pricing…looking forward to their production

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Lawson,
    A smaller buckle, a la Granite Gear, would be nice, but I think a one-way purge valve will be essential. (Also on one of the GG products.)

That way you can fill and seal the bag, stuff if in your pack, and as you load gear on top the air flows out, allowing the bag to compress, and simultaneously flow into all the nooks and crannies in the bottom of your pack.

The best of all possible worlds, IMHO.

Otherwise you're packing a balloon.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 on the valve. Worst aspect of the drybag is getting the air out.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Only the much heavier Granite Gear air bags have a port or eVent panel to expel air – the ones they make from Cuben do not.

I've found with my personal Cuben dry bags I can load them and then either compress a soft goods clothing item in the bottom or easily suck out most of the extra air in one inhale by mouth while holding the top semi closed and then rolling quickly. So far so good…

I think some things work well in the dry bag style and others better in a reg cord lock style top.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I use the Granite Gear eVent-bottom bags (AirVent Reduction DryBloc Dry Sacks)+-++ and like them a lot. All my sleep items go in, it gets closed up, I squash it and put it in the bottom of my pack, and then start loading other stuff in. But they will "loft" and suck air in, unless you keep leaning on them.

So a light Cuben bag, with a one-way purge valve, will defeat the "re-inflation", making the packing process easier.

Just my style.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Good Point on the Purge Valve but when I first built it, if you pushed hard enough air would slowly leak out around the top were the buckles are. To test its waterproofness I did two things. First I filled it up with water and hung it for 24 hours and had no leaks then I threw it fully loaded and sunk it to the bottom of my pool for 24 hours and it also had no leaks but then again air molecules are smaller then water molecules. I wanted to try and use it as a pillow and have it be 100% air tight so I silicone sealed it but I think I like the other way better especially since it helped for closing, was water tight and isn't comfortable as a pillow. So maybe the first way was better after all????

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"if you pushed hard enough air would slowly leak out around the top were the buckles are"

True. But it takes a Really Long Time to get all the air out.

Plus, I don't have enough room in my pack for an extra liter or three of air.

But that's just me.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

LK
    If I sent you some re-cycled eVent could you make these like the Granite Gear eVent Sil Dry Sacks? http://www.granitegearstore.com/AirVent-Reduction-DryBlocs-P110.aspx

If you can, what would you charge for say a 10 liter one?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Exactly!

PM incoming.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Richard,
    I use the GG AirVents and like them a lot. The only issue is that they will "re-inflate" rather quickly if they are not constrained. I just keep leaning on them as I pack additional gear in on top.

That's why I suggested the one-way purge valve. Once you get the air out, and squash the bag into your pack, it will stay that way until you lean on it again.

The .75 cuben won't save much weight over the silnylon used by GG. But Cuben and a purge valve (minus the GG closure strips) Should be a bit lighter than the AirVent, you getting the best of all possible worlds.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Greg,
    I have two Sea to Summit eVac Dry Sacks with eVent on the bottom (13 liter, 2.4 oz) and one Sea to Summit Pocket Solar Shower, which is a dry bag with a valve (5.2 oz). I do not have a re-inflation problem with the eVent sacks. I close the top by hand and roll down tight, which forces out the air, until I get it as compressed as I can, and then connect the side release buckle.
    There's nothing wrong with either, and I've been told on over on White Blaze that the GG eVent sil sacks work perfectly also. I'm just being a gram weeny for an AT thru I plan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools