Topic

Cuben Hammock “Beta Test Models” For Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Cuben Hammock “Beta Test Models” For Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

I like the idea of it being multi-purpose.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

There are a ton more photos in MYOG section but here are a few sneak peaks…

Eric Drew

@vtaduck

Locale: Sespe Wilderness

Is this the 8' hammock or 9' hammock combo? They tarp set ups look great, but the hammock seems small…

Nevermind, found my answer in the other thread.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Its the 9' model…It could have to do with cuben not stretching.. My 9'6" Nylon hammock feels huge in comparison to this one but this one is still ALOT more comfortable…..Maybe I will add 6" to give some extra room???

Eric Drew

@vtaduck

Locale: Sespe Wilderness

If you added another 6" you could probably do a large and regular model… the 9'6" could fit up to a 6'4" person, like bags and bivy's do. Something along those lines anyways.

I'd like another 6" in mine. Another 6" would by nice for the tarp set up as well!

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

I'm loving it! I'll order one Sunday after I get home from car camping.

I like the idea of a long and a regular.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

What is your paypal info?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

You know Lawson, I think this thing is awesome. I'm a tarp guy, so I look at something like this and think it's primary use is a tarp and secondary use as a hammock (the hangers will think the opposite)…just saying that you might want to consider this more of a "tarmock" or "hamarp" then specifically one or the other…all though I don't like hammocks for sleeping over night, I sure wouldn't mind hanging one when I got to camp to relax, cook, read, etc. Nice work.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"you might want to consider this more of a "tarmock" or "hamarp" "

And of course it can be used as raingear too, so that makes it a "hamtarcape", or maybe a "pontarham"

:-)

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

hahaha I love the names!

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Lawson: How can I purchase the hammock/tarp?!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Justin, sorry I didn't see your paypal post. The hammock/tarps are still not for sale. I am working on dialing in some design and cosmetic details. I should have them worked out soon and will let you know when they are up for sale.. I hope this helps, but if not send me a Personal Message..

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Hey, I'm very interested in this thread, I've been looking into making a cuben tarp, specifically the one featured in the MYOG articles on this site.

But, goodness I do love hammocking. And I want a tarp. And it's made of cuben. And I don't own a sewing machine quite yet…

Sir, I'd be overjoyed to be a beta tester for this piece of gear.

A couple questions though: I missed your height, but I'm curious about it. How does the 9' tarp do for your height? How about 6'? And maybe some could be made with trim seams and others with folded seams? And see about any praises or concerns? Eh, who knows?

cheers

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Lawson,

Sounds good. I would be willing to try out either folded or trimmed edges. With summer coming up, I will beta test the heck out of this thing. Let me know when they are ready.

Justin

John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

Lawson,

Your beta test models could always go out with one end of each type, couldn't they? Each individual tester may find they have a clear preference for End X, or not. Every tester would at least have equal exposure to both methods under the same conditions from which to form that opinion, whether it be "Oh Gawd, now I have to go do End Y!" or "Eh, whatever."

JohnA

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

What kind of weight can they support?

I'm about 280lbs.

paul smith

@tenkara

All right. I've thought about this for a few days now and I still want one. So how do we do that? I think I'm overlooking your email address and I don't see a sign up list. Would you be kind enough to direct me where to go? Thank you kindly.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

I really want one.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

As some of you might know. I built and tested several cuben fiber hammocks over the last few months. I love how cuben fiber hammocks lay (flat) and felt like it was the perfect hammock material. I had even planned to offer them for sale in the future.

I however have decided to abandon this idea after a hammock failed while being used by a beta tester last weekend. The tester was moving around in the hammock after spending a night in it when it failed. Luckily he was only 12" off soft ground and was un-injured. The hammock was built using CT2K.08 which is a .75oz a yard material and has a break strength of 105lbs/inch.

The beta tester was testing the difference between the channel end and the gathered end. The failure took place 18" down from the gathered end which signifies this was a material issue and not a manufacturing issue. At first I thought it might have to do with how the end was "gathered" but after seeing pictures of the failure I realized that a failure like this could occur with a channel end as well.

I sent the hammock to a Materials Engineer and a Materials Scientist and they concluded that the CT2K.08 might not be an appropriate material since prolonged overloading could cause a failure. They suggested that I use a heavier/stronger material but due to the nature of the material this would not guarantee anything.

We are all fascinated by this awesome material but I think it has limitations and one of those limitations is being used as a hammock.

I am not going to discredit the use of the heavier material at this time because I cannot say whether a failure would or could occur. I just want to offer this post as a disclaimer. If you decide to build a cuben fiber hammock please use it with care.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Lawson

A detailed in-focus close-up of the failed edge would be extremely interesting for many of us!

Cheers

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

I understand the minimum order quantity and price are daunting for cuben, but I also have seen their list.

There are different weights of cuben and, apparently, there are different grades of cuben.

I read something about more diagonal strength, like that.

I want a hammock tarp. I have one in Multicam I like for the more natural colors, but it is heavier.

I like the looks of this. I especially like the smaller flatter hammock.

I hope you can get this to work out for you.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I second the call for pics. I am trying as hard ad possible to say this without being rude, the weight of the user of course affects th hammock. If you feel like discussing this-if it is relevant in this case, I think I is also info worth knowing.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I posted the pictures in G Spot but let me post them here as well.

hammock

hammock

hammock

hammock

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools