Topic

Cuben 9’x9′ Flat Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben 9’x9′ Flat Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Do you like conventional looped grosgrain tie-outs or built in line-lock tie outs??

Here is some photos of a linelock corner.

corner

corner

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Linelocs are great, but the ones I got with my MLD tarp require >=2.5mm lines to work properly. When you are dealing with a ~5oz cuben tarp the line weight adds up quickly to become a big part of your weight. Is there a smaller Lineloc option available for use with smaller lines?

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Also, I've seen that you've cross posted a couple threads. Are these the same project? A flat tarp/hammock? As in, does the cuben hammock/tarp have the same pitching capabilities as seen on this thread?

As you can probably tell, I'm still very interested. Hopefully my question was clear, I'm not sure.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Linelocks

MLD is working with the Linelock mfgr to try to get smaller ones designed but that is a long way off – maybe years… take's huge investment.

In the meantime there are a few option!
    1: Keep'em all for the convenience!
    2: Cut off some of the linelocks mixing 3mm line and smaller line at various spots as desired.
    3: Use only 1-2 feet of the larger line at the linelock and tie small line the other few feet to the stake- save maybe 75% of the larger line's wet but keep all the convenience.
    4: Cut 'em all off and use small line and mini-linelocks (the tiny triangle cams).

Anyway- The main idea is that if they come on the shelter as standard then you have the choices!

We use a sturdy 3mm line that is a bit larger than some line that fit sort of OK but the larger line never slips in hard pounding wind.

We can also delete all linelocks and ship any tarp with smaller line and mini linelocks as a custom order if desired.

Just figure that in comparing tarp weights, linelocks add about .05- .1oz for each one- so you may need to do the math to get apples and apples between various brands.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Nope its the only size that ITW Nexus makes.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The photos are from someones custom tarp. I am more a fan of looped webbing then built in line-locks but they do work good. I just think they are a weak link. Especially if shock loaded..

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Thanks for chiming in Ron. It's not surprising to hear that you are out there beating the bushes trying to come up with better solutions to this. Your efforts (and suggestions) are definitely appreciated. BTW, your cuben tarp is one fine piece of gear.

Eric Beaudry

@itbvolks

I love linelocs for a larger shelter (my duo as a for instance).

That said, I think I'd prefer gros tie-outs and then you can use the cam version like Ron offers or just go with really thin line like Joe from Z-packs offers.

The problem I have here in the NE is, there's VERY FEW times you'll ever be able to deal with a fixed line length due to ground conditions. So form of adjustment is required in order to get it pitched properly. Just how it is. On something like the duo, the additional weight isn't too big a deal and it offers a ton of flexibility. On a sub 5oz tarp, I'd be more concerned with weight of the guying system.

Ron also brings up a good point I just went through with regards to setting up my cuben duo. Guy line itself. I have a few 3mm versions along with some 2mm and his 1.5mm. The problem is, the 1.5mm won't work long term with the supplied linelocs. 3mm works best. That being said, I'm interested in a few characteristics.

-Line Strength
    -Line Dia (as well as sheath for locking)
    -Low/Zero Stretch
    -Line Weight (Dry)
    -Line Weight (Wet)

For me I think a combination of 3mm for the corner tie-outs is good for high load and due to their overall short length while the 1.5mm stuff with cams might be perfect for the mid-point tie outs (uppper/lower in conjunction) as those offer flexibility and weight savings especially as the line length gets longer.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools