Topic

Cuben 9’x9′ Flat Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben 9’x9′ Flat Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Everyone,

Check out this square 9'x9' Cuben Fiber flat tarp that I built. It has catenary cuts along the edges to keep everything nice and tight and is 100% bonded.. It weighs in at 7.35oz and rolls up to the size of a coke can..

I am going to start selling these in a few weeks once I iron out all the details. No pre-orders but I would love to know if anyone would be interested in purchasing one and any feedback you guys may have..

It was a little bit windy when I took the photos (10-15mph)but its hard to tell..

cuben fiber tarp 1194

cuben fiber tarp 1193

cuben tarp 1197

cuben tarp 1196

cuben fiber tarp 1198

cuben fiber tarp 1200

cuben tarp 1205

cuben tarp 1190

cuben tarp

cuben tarp

cuben tarp

cuben tarp 1221

cuben tarp 1220

cuben tarp 1223

cuben tarp 1225

cuben tarp 1227

cuben tarp 1228

cuben tarp 1230

cuben tarp 1238

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I've been thinking about one of these. Excepted I'm not really interested in cat cut edges and I'd like to see some panel tie-outs.

What's it gonna cost?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

>>"I've been thinking about one of these. Excepted I'm not really interested in cat cut edges and I'd like to see some panel tie-outs."

Panel tie-outs might be an option but I am not sure if they are needed. The cuben has no sag and pulls as tight as a drum.. But if someone wants panel tie-outs added to one of my tarps that is more then ok..

As far as flat edges go, that won't be an option. Flat edges flap in the wind which can destroy a tarp quicker than anything…If you want a flat edged tarp then I would suggest buying one from Joe at Zpacks. All the gear I plan to manufacture and sell will not be offered by anyone else.

>>"What's it gonna cost?" Under $300..

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Looks like a great design – this will work for both ground dwellers and hammockers alike (albeit, only in diamond style for hammockers – 9' is too short on the rectangle for that).

Very nice.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Looks nice, but I'm not sure if I'm interested or not…..I'll watch this thread. I'm still deciding what I want to do for Summer, if anything.

I would suggest a couple of center tie outs to accommodate a bug shelter.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thanks Scott!

Set up in hammock mode, the ridgeline is roughly 152" (12.72') and extends down on each side a little over 6' which is perfect for lightweight hammock camping!

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

good point. I had forgot about zpacks. thanks for the quick response.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

I can see a market for these but it's a little too big for me. Great work!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Maybe I will do a 7'x9' for solo users who would like to take advantage of the smaller size. Estimated weight 5.75oz..

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

7' x 9' is a nice solo size and very close to my MLD Grace Solo except the Grace is narrower at the rear end slightly shorter.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I just received my 7×9 cuben flat from Zpack and it seems like the perfect size for solo adventures.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Good looking tarp. How is the seam at the ridge joined?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I would like one for hammocking. Would shave 4 oz off my packweight. Every oz counts, especially when I have alot of luxuries. I would like one the same size as a maccat deluxe 130"×104". Is this possible lawson?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you want one mostly for hammocking, and think you might hammock in bad weather, Lawson's making me a cuben hammock tarp based loosely on the Winter Dream. I'll have ends I can 'enclose' for harsh weather, or open up for nicer weather (not detachable). I should have it within a week or so, I'll let y'all know how it 'handles' in the field and post some pics. I've asked him to integrate linelocs so mine will be an ounce heavier than others, but it's worth it to me. It'll have a 13' ridgeline so plenty of coverage. Best of all, we're calculating that it will come in around 10-11 oz!

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

my maccat deluxe in spinn is only 10oz, it seems like from yours it isn't really that much lighter or is the dream much bigger than a deluxe?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I messed up, mine's an 11' ridgeline, but 13' length at sides (significantly longer than the MacCat). It's not quite as wide, as I didn't want a second seam to worry about and cuben is only so wide (I forget exactly, but maybe a foot less wide overall/6" per side).

The 10-11 oz is just a guesstimate at the moment. I'll weigh it when I get it as part of my initial impressions post.

But, spinn is pretty light on its own. When we're basically talking about a sheet or two of cuben vs spinn with very little else involved (no zippers, vents, etc), you're not going to see a great difference anyway.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Spinnaker is super light but not nearly as light as the .75oz cuben.. Cuben is also stronger and more water-resistant. The only negative cuben has is the cost..

I could of built Doug's tarp using the .50oz stuff but why push the envelop when the .75oz stuff has a track record of working. It is the perfect blend of strength to weight.

By the way, Doug's tarp is HUGE.. Who needs a tarp when you can carry a house haha..

Eric Beaudry

@itbvolks

I could be VERY interested in a 7×9' for sure.

I was just talking with my buddy about the benefits of a flat tarp for pitching options. Really nice you got a full set of images for setup options. Really shows the versatility.

I want one!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Prototype Coming Soon….

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I would like some feedback on my planned production corner reinforcement.. It's two layers of CT5K.18 1.5oz Black Cuben fiber laminated together with a piece of 5/8" grosgrain laminated in between.. The grosgrain webbing is then box stitched to help with lap sheer and peel strength.. It is then laminated to the CT2K.08 .75oz Green Cuben tarp and the tarp edges lap over the laminated section by 1/2" to further help with strength.. I have tested this to be the strongest way to build a tie-out so commercial gear makers don't copy it…

Bottom
    bottom

Eric Beaudry

@itbvolks

Looks pretty stout.

Does make me wonder if your going to stitch it, would going with a woven backer offer anything?

Based on the design though, I'd guess you won't have any issue with failures there.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I tried using some woven material in the laminate but the lap sheer and peel strength go out the window… This has to do with them being unlike materials.. Thanks for the idea though..

Keep in mind no sewing goes through the tarp material itself but is instead laminated to the tarp..

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I like the guyline attachment. I've read on here a considerable amount about how sewing cuben fiber could very possibly weaken its strength.

The seams on the side, are they bonded or sewn?

How is the tarp coming?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Realy nice Lawson—I like all your the pitch options-I will try some of those set-ups with my BPL Stealth NANO tarp.

-Jay

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

""I like the guyline attachment. I've read on here a considerable amount about how sewing cuben fiber could very possibly weaken its strength..""

Its true but its all in the methods. I am sewing the grosgrain to a heavy piece of cuben then laminating that assembly to the tarp. Its really rock solid..

""The seams on the side, are they bonded or sewn?""

Everything is bonded. There isn't one hole in the main piece of material..

The tarps are coming good thanks for asking. Now that I have everything ironed out they should go on sale soon. I will announce something on here in the gear deals section and offer a discount at first.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools