Topic

PCT kick off party?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Locale: Chula Vista

I live about an hour away from lake Morena and the ADZPCTKO. I thinking about driving out this Saturday. So my question is; Are the venders worth checking out? And will I feel welcome or this a party for the thruhike community?

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

The ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero Kick Off) is mainly about the current year hikers only it really isn't. Plenty of past and future thru-hikers show up. There are also people who are just PCT groupies. So yes, anyone can just show up and have fun. The only requirement is you care about hiking or about the PCT. The campsites are all full except for 2010 thru-hikers, but there are no problems showing up for a day (please register at the check in desk near the campground entrance so they know you are there, it won't cost you anything).

For anyone planning on thru-hiking the PCT, I recommend showing up a year or two before you hike as you can learn alot at the various seminars. When you are actually hiking, its either too late to change or you are too distracted from meeting everyone and partying to really take it in. I attended my first kickoff in 2007, 2 years before I thru-hiked in 2009. I'll be there again this year even though I'm not hiking.

What I like about the kickoff vendors, is this is one of the only places you can see ULA's packs first hand and get a proper fitting for them. Gossemer Gear is also always there as is 6 Moon Designs, Henry Hillshire's Tarptent, BearValut and Leki. There are sometimes others. And they are usually always available to answer questions and help with any of their products you may have purchased in the past. As an example, I've seen Henry go through the campground helping people correct how they have their tarptents set up to insure a proper pitch. I just wish MLD would show up.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Go. You'll have a blast.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Thanks for the tip, I had a blast.

I thought I would share some Cuban eye candy.6 moon Cuban proto

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Looks like a cuben gatewood sans the cape part

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

No hood plus the visible top vent would make it a Cuben version of the SMD Wild Oasis, although I can't see any mesh skirt in this photo.

Ron's trying to get into my wallet yet again.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

That looks like something my friend made. Was it a 6 moon's tarp or did it just belong to some guy?

John Tyberg

@jtyberg

Locale: Southern California

Btw, Piper, I think I've commented on this before, but I really like reading your blog.

I had fun at the kick-off and kind of wished I was heading out on the PCT though I know I couldn't hang. The JMT is plenty for me.

I bought a Murmur from the Gossamer stand, and it's super cool. I don't know where they found the great small buckles. Can't wait to see the new Miniposa this summer.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Yes that was a 6 moon design prototype tarp. I was basically a wild oasis without the bug netting and a Cuban bathtub ground sheet. There was also a hybrid Cuban Dynema pack and Cuban rain jacket. I don’t know why I did t get a picture. They were prototype one offs. The guy I talked to said he did not think the tarp would be in production as the production cost was high.

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

I took a few more photos of the same shelter, as well as the raingear and the pack while I spoke with Ron.

He told me the shelter is basically a prototype Hex-Mid that weighs in at 7.5 oz. There are currently no plans to produce it, but that if he did it would be quite expensive. (Note, the experimental cuben / Reflectix pad laying inside it)

Next, he said the pack is a cuben / dyneema mix that comes in a 6.5 oz. (Again, no plans for production) I really, really like this one!!

Lastly is the cuben raingear. It is patterned after Frog Toggs and weighs 2.7 oz. (No production plans)

Way to think outside the box with cuben, Ron!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Nice Steve…I replied to your post over at BP'er, just disregard it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools