Topic

Rough Gear List section hike AT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rough Gear List section hike AT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Mike C! – Thanks for posting your system in such detail! I will definitely consider employing this system in my hikes here in the Southeast.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Ya great info I'll have to give it a try. As far as the food goes I was factoring a little bit of safe zone thinking I may end up having to carry a bit of my dog's food as well. I'm going to load up his pack to trail weight here in the next day or so and were going to do some longer day hikes to see how he handles it. Dumb question but I've always carried enough clean water for both, am I correct in assuming that my dog should be fine just drinking from the streams?

Also Do you guys think I can I should be ok with the Flash 50 as oppose to the 65 with current load?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Your dog will be fine drinking from streams.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

My experience has shown that dogs are fine drinking out of streams. My dog has had loose bowels on hikes before, but I'm fairly certain that it's related to long hours and lots of mileage rather than the water. Everything always seems to sort itself out when we stop for the day. YDMMV

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Round 2. Put in some things I forgot to last time. Going but what people are saying I apparently underestimated what insulating layers I would need so more of those. Ditched the canister stove picked up a CC Keg-F system. Ditch some stuff sacks as well as Ipod/knife/extra flashlight. Feel free to comment. Keep in mind I will have a dog along with me so things like the pack towel I plan on keeping.

PACK
    Granite Gear Escape AC 48.0 (yes I know its heavy may trade out to something lighter after this trip)

SLEEP SYSTEM
    NeoAir 14
    REI Halo 25 31.0
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 or REI Halo 25

SHELTER
    Tarptent Moment 28.5
    Kelty Triptease 50ft 1.0

KITCHEN/WATER
    Caldera Cone Keg-F 6.3
    Mini Bic Lighter 0.4
    REI Long Ti Spoon 0.4
    Aqua Mira 0.9
    Platypus 34oz bottle x2 1.8 (only have one filled during day both filled for basecamp for cook/clean/dog)

CLOTHING
    Smartwool sock 1.0 (wear a pair and dry a pair)
    Sea to Sumit Bug Head Net 1.3
    REI Kimtah eVent Jacket 16.0(heavy, might be able to get my hands on a MH Cohesion or suck it up and buy a DriDucks)
    Rei OXT T-Shirt 5.0
    Synthetic underwear 1.5 (have to one to switch out)
    REI Power stretch sweater (12.0) or Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Hooded (14oz)
    Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch gloves 1.0
    TurtleFur Silver Tech beanie 1.0

TOOLS/ELECTRONICS
    Black Diamond Spot 3.0
    Canon Powershot SD1200 IS 5.6

TOILETRIES/MISC
    Bug Spray 0.5
    Tooth Brush 0.3
    Toothpaste 0.2
    Purell 0.7
    First Aid Kit 2.7
    Sunscreen 0.9
    Soap 0.2
    MSR Pack towel Large 1.8
    Outdoor Research Ultralight dry sack 15L 2.2oz (bear bag)

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

-I would still switch out the NeoAir for something lighter and save 5oz.

-Still advocate switching to a tarp and saving 18oz.

-There are still lighter alcohol stove/pot combos.

I cannot comment on clothing since I have no experience with the AT.

-Do you plan on hiking at night? If not than a BD Ion would be fine and save 2oz.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

the torso pad and BD ion are a definite possibility but I really would rather go with the an enclosed tent in order to not have to worry about my dog. I think I will experiment with a tie out and a tarp in the future but don't have enough time now before the trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The dogs aren't supposed to drink from streams, because dogs can carry Giardia and spread that nasty little thing out. Sometimes you can't help it, but you shouldn't encourage it. I don't pet dogs while on the trail, because having had Giardia once, I don't want to risk it again.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would nix the stuff sack for the pad and the sack for the sleeping bag if you use a pack liner. If not, I would sub a waterproof silnylon sack– Sea to Summit is about the same weight.

Keep the knife. I don't like going solo without some basic survival gear. 1.8oz is hardly going Rambo :)

I agree with others on the pot/stove. A 600ml pot is enough for dehydrated packaged dinners. A smaller pot with matching Caldera Cone and a small bottle of alcohol will do nicely. I like butane stove and 1 liter pot for groups, but not solo.

As to the dog, I can't see where it is any safer for a dog to drink from a stream than it is for people. I'm not 100% successful, but I try to keep my dog from drinking wild water. On a short hike, the Giardia is going to hit him at home, which wouldn't be pretty on so many levels. He carries his own Sierra cup for a bowl. Somehow, drinking from it is "special" and he perceives it as some sort of reward. Fine by me :) Good point by the other poster as to dogs spreading Giardia. FYI, I day hike with my dog, but overnights get too complex and I don't like hiking with him loose on populated trails and the lease management is a chore that interrupts my enjoyment of the wild.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

I think you may be looking at the first list I'll go back and edit the first list.

I got rid of the stuff sacks and knife and went with a Caldera Cone Keg-F instead of the canister stove system.

I guess I need to do a little more reading into what dogs can and can not drink before I make a call on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools