Topic

Rough Gear List section hike AT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rough Gear List section hike AT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

2 round list on page 2

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

I would consider dropping the flashlight, knife, and packtowel. I would definitely nix the flashlight if you are carrying a BD Spot as well. Why the redundancy with the lighting? My view on the knife for such a short trip is that you won't need it and it has the potential to do more harm than good. As for the packtowel it just seems uneccessary since you are carrying a bandanna. Your rain jacket seems kind of heavy at one pound. Then again it is springtime and rain protection might be a bad area to try to be a weight miser. As for your insulation clothing I would be sure to carry a beanie hat and go with the powerstretch top. The down jacket might be a good option but you didn't list a weight for it. Is it more of a down sweater or is it really a down jacket? If it is a lighter down sweater type garment I would probably go with it instead of the powerstretch. I hope this helps. Have fun on the trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your sleeping bag would be the easiest thing to cut weight off that list. You could cut 1/2 a lb by switching and I agree totally with dumping the flashlight if you have a headlamp.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

– You could switch to a torso length pad and save 5oz or so.

– You could switch out your Moment and go with a tarp/bivy and save around 13oz.

– Not sure on the type of cooking you do, but a 1L pot seems like a lot of pot for solo use. You could easily go smaller and lighter.

– Stove, if you are just boiling water then look at an alcohol stove. A Fancy Feast stove weighs 0.3oz, which would save you 2.3oz.

– Nix the hose from your platy and save some weight. You could get a standard 2L Platy which would weigh 1.3oz. Save 4.2oz

– Rainjacket at 1Lb is also heavy.

– Do you really need three pair of socks?

– BM 530 is heavu at 1.8. Could you get by with a razor blade? Save yourself 1.5oz.

– Ipod is easily nixed

– Flashlight is easily nixed. Go with just your spot, it is more useful.

– Nix the trowel. Firstly is snow expected and secondly, if it is, then just use a rock or stick. Save 1oz.

– Nix the pack towel. Use your bandana. Save 1.8oz.

I don't see much insulation in your list: down or fleece vest/jacket, hat or gloves– you may need them in the evening and morning.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Some feedback…
    =============

– NIX

NeoAir StuffSack 0.5

– NIX

REI Travel Down Stuff Sack 0.5

– EXCHANGE

Tarptent Moment 28.5 – Is it bug season in may? Use a tarp. Easy! And, you have a bug head-net, easy to sleep with if it's buggy. Save approx. 18 oz!

– EXCHANGE

Platypus 2 liter Big Zip w/ Hose 5.5 Why so much water capacity in May in the south? THere should be water EVERYWHERE. No need to carry it on your back. And, no need for the hose, you'll be fine with just a bottle.

– EXCHANGE

Fuel Canister 7.0 and Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator Stove 2.6, Exchange for a simple alcohol or esbit stove. Those canisters are heavy, even after they are empty.

– NIX

Synthetic underwear 1.5 – Is this an item you carry with you?

– EXCHANGE

Benchmade 530 Pardue Axis 1.8 – no need for a "real" knife, a single edge razor in a cardboard sheath will do fine, weighing 0.1 oz.

– NIX

Ipod Nano/Headphones 2.0

– NIX

Gerber Infinity Flashlight 2, you already have the Black Diamond Spot, no need for redundancy.

– NIX

Wet Wipes 3.0 – You have Soap & Purell, no need for redundancy.

– NIX

Snow-stake Trowel 1.0 – Use a stick to dig. Easy.

– NIX

MSR Pack towel Large 01.8 You already have a bandana, no need for redundancy.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So heres kind of what Im thinking based on the above suggestions

Things cutting out
    – Pack Towl
    -Snow Stake
    -extra pair of underwear
    -wetwipes
    -Ipod/headphones
    -Sleepingbag stuff sack
    -one of the pairs of socks
    -the BM knife
    -Gerber flashlight

I'm going to stay with the TT Moment mainly because I will have a dog along with me for the trip and I really need some way to keep him contained at night while I'm asleep which unfortunetly is something I can't do in a tarp. I'd like to keep one pair of extra socks just so I can have a pair on while I dry/wash the others but your right 3 is probly to many. I don't really have any other rain jacket other then the eVent on and it is heavy so i'll ask around and see if I can bum a jacket from a friend. I think my Dad actually has a Mountain Hardwear Cohesion which is aroun 11oz.

Now some questions. Is it worth ditching the Neo Air stuff sack? My worry is that thing is so fragile and I really dont want to worry about poking a hole in it when I stuff my pack. How much weight am I really going to cut from my sleeping bag? I dont really want to drop another 200$ to save 8oz to bring it down to 1lb. What size water containers are you guys suggesting? Just a 1L platy? As far as the stove goes I actually asked about the benifits of a canister stove vs a alcohol stove in an earlier post and was told to check out a spread sheet that showed that after 15 days weight between the two is about the same. If thats true then I'd rather go for the canister stove because its easier but if thats not true I have no problem going with an alcohol stove. Perhaps something like the Caldera system?
    The 1L pot is a litle on the big side and I will mostly being boiling water for oatmeal and freezedried meals so I might just got with a henni pot.As far as insulation I can bring a beanie no problem, as for insulation I have a couple things to choose from. A REI Polartec Powerstretch sweater, an Arcteryx Polartec Polarguard sweater, an Mountain Hardwear Nitrous 800 fill jacket, and a light weight New balance running jacket that turns into a vest. Ill try to post links to those items when I get off of work tonight.

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Does your dog carry a backpack? If not, it should. No reason that you should have to cart around its food, gear, and water as well as your own!

Add a tie-out to that backpack, and your tarptent problem is solved. Just tie the tie-out to the same tree your tarp is tied to and you're good to go. A leash is also nearly as good. You'd be surprised how easy it is to hold on to one while sleeping at night. If your dog wakes up at a sound, you'll wake up before it takes off after it and be able to hold on the leash. I've never had an issue with that. Still, a tie-out offers more piece of mind.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Yup hes fully outfitted with pack, shoes,cut down pad, and rain coat although it should be warm enough he won't need the rain coat. I'm thinking that if the weather warrants me bringing my down jacket he could probably use that as a make shift blanket if need be. Im also considering ditching the boots for him but I'm not really keen on the idea of us getting a couple of days out there and having him hurt his foot or something dumb and having to call the trip.PackbootsSun shower

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Why is it that the dog doesn't look very happy?

–B.G.–

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

I've heard that dog boots can cause problems because they allow grit inside, etc. I don't worry about bringing them, though, because my dog's pads are nice and tough from regular hiking and trail running. He's done some pretty big mileage days with me with zero issues.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Bob: Ha I noticed that too but my dog loves his.

Nate: Ya I think I may just leave them at home.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can imagine that it would be nice for a guy to take his dog along on a long backpack trip. However, what does the dog like? Does the dog get a chance to chase squirrels and stuff that he couldn't do at home?

In some of the national parks, there are no dogs allowed in the backcountry, so you will have to get by with the AT or similar dog-friendly trails.

–B.G.–

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

So to add to this any thoughts on the bag situation. Do you think that Im going overkill with the GoLite Quest? Maybe the Deuter ACT Zero?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I carry what my dog needs, all I ask is that she keep up with the pace and the miles that the trip demands. My dog, a female border collie, is tough, strong and smart. She is in her element and happiest when on the trail.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Thom, my dog is a male border collie / bull terrier mix. He LOVES his pack. What I've heard is that it gives them a "job" to do and therefore some mental stimulation. It also weighs him down a bit so he's slightly more on pace with me as far as energy levels go.

I'm sorry, I know we're getting off topic here, but it may not be a bad idea to start a dog thread elsewhere. It's my opinion that there's not nearly enough good information out there for backpacking with dogs. I also think some lighter dog gear would fill an important gap in the ultralight community.

Mike S
    BPL Member

@mikeylxt

Locale: Maryland

Dogs like hiking basically for the same reason humans do….it is fun.

One thing to keep in mind. The dog pads could be hit/miss in my opinion. On a lot of the AT it is a rather smooth trip with soft dirt trails. On those sections I dont see a need for dog boots. However when you start to hit Maryland and PA you start to hit rocks. Those can tear up dog pads just like they can a pair of boots.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Its ok, I too feel that theres not enough good info or gear out there for our four legged friends. I was actually surprised when I joined this forum that there was no dog hiking section. I assumed it was because there is a section of people out there who do not agree with dogs on the trail. WhiteBlaze.net has a full section but I prefer to steer clear of that forum if I can.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

hehe, some parts of this list look very familiar! Have you thought about running esbit instead of alcohol or canister? You could save a lot of weight there (no need for the canister, the stove, the heavy liquid alc etc). Also, nixing the stuff sack shouldn't really be a problem so long as you keep all your tools/sharp things packed seperately. But then again its only .5 oz saved…your call. You're going to want to carry some repair tape/kit for the neo air anyways, so take that into consideration.

btw, I've updated my thread to show it all packed up, per your request. Good luck!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't hike with my dog for various reasons. I did get some of the ruff wear boots because of the summer heat and we go for a walk at least twice a day when I am at home. He hates them. And no matter what I do, I cannot keep them secure on his paws. Do some research on the Web regarding boots. Also, coyotes and wolves don't wear boots.

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

Lol, as they say konrad imitation is highest form of flattery! That and I'm incredible lazy and most of that stuff was very close to my own :)

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

What pack suggestions do you guys have? Thats really my last piece of the puzzle here. Think its going to be overkill with the GoLite Quest or Pursuit? I've never gone with a virtual frame pack so that kind of worries me about the Jam and the Pinnacle. What about the Deuter ACT Zero?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> What pack suggestions do you guys have?
    Budget?

JanSport Big Bear 63 and REI Flash 65 are nice and inexpensive. Ignore the volume claims … I have no idea what they use for a 'Litre'.

Cheers

Quinn Nelson

@qnelson

No budget. I'd prefer a brand that REI carries for discount reasons other then that I'm pretty open. This will be my first UL pack so I'm open to new experiences. Only concern is I'm somewhat shaped like Samwise Gamgee (read 5'7" over weight). I'm figuring with this rough collection of gear I posted I'll be at around 10lbs or under for base weight. So add in food at 2lbs a day with being out for no longer then 5 days at a time and 2L of water on me in some way shape or form I guess I'm looking at a total bag weight of 25-30lbs total.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I think i saw a coyote wearing some five-fingers on my way to work this morning. :)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Quin wrote:
    =========

"… food at 2lbs a day with being out for no longer then 5 days at a time and 2L of water on me…"

WOW! That is WAY too much food. I have worked on this number a LOT over the years.

Instead, go with 1.4 Pounds Per Day (PPD) and you will eat well, eat it all , and end up at the end with zero un-eaten food. That'll save you 3 pounds of consumables!

And, you are hiking in the spring in VA and you plan on carrying 2 liters of water? THere should be water running EVERYWHERE. I would advocate carrying ZERO water, and just drink at stream crossings.

You are using AQUAMIRA as a water treatment (and thats AWESOME) and here's what I advocate (below)

If you carry ZERO water on your back, that'll save you 4 pounds of consumables!

3 + 4 = 7
    You can Subtract 7 pounds from your consumables!

Carry a 500ml juice bottle IN YOUR HAND. Stop at a water source, fill the bottle, add a few drops of AQUAMIRA PRE-MIX (see below) and keep walking with the bottle in your hand. Wait about 15 minutes (or less, depending on the water quality) and drink. Repeat during the day.

==========
    MY SYSTEM
    ==========

My preferred system for treating suspect water is Aqua-Mira. This is a chlorine dioxide chemical treatment that leaves very little noticeable taste in the water. It has a proven track record over the years, and it has a long shelf life.

I advocate a system that is not match the written directions on the bottle.

1] Re package the A & B in two smaller and clearly labeled bottles, use a sharpie to clearly label each of these tiny bottles.

2] I include a 3rd bottle that I will label as MIX. I’ll use the smallest bottle I can for this purpose. I‘ve found a itty-bitty bottle on-line Capacity: 0.06 fl oz (1.7 g) of water, or about 40 drops, Weight: 0.05 oz (1.4 g)

3] The reason for the smallest bottle is because I don’t want to store this mix for too long, I want to use it up before it has a chance to loose it’s effectiveness.

4] Before hiking in the morning I will pre-mix an equal amount of drops in the tiny bottle. The tiny bottle will only hold about 40 drops total, so I use 20 of A and 20 of B.

5] I use this pre-mix to treat my water each time I re-fill my bottles during the day. I make sure to monitor the color of the liquid that comes out of the bottle marked “MIX” to make sure it has a yellow tone. If the drops come out clear, the mix has lost it’s effectiveness and I squeeze it out and start over.

6] The effectiveness of the Pre-Mix is severely compromised by temperature, sunlight and time. Temperature is hard to control if you are in a hot environment. Sunlight is easier, simply keep the vessel inside a pocket (or inside your pack) and don’t use a bottle with clear plastic.

7] Time is a judgment call, and I simply can’t give a decisive answer. If it’s hot and sunny I wouldn’t use the pre-mix after 24 hours. If it’s cool and cloudy, I might use it for 3 days (maybe). It is impossible to truly know the quality of the pre-mix, so when in doubt – simply air on the side of caution.

How many drops to use?
    ====================

As a follow up to the previous tip, the quantity of drops is totally subjective. Please know, I drink a LOT of water without any treatment at all (see the excellent article on BPL*) I factor in the perceived quality of the water. If I trust it as perfectly clean and free of any pathogens, I would use ZERO drops.

If I was drinking out of a warm murky swamp with elk feeeces ringing the shore line, I would follow the directions on the bottle dutifully (and that is 7 of A + 7 of B = 14 total (per liter), wait for 7 minutes before adding to the water, and then wait 15 minute before drinking).

(*) ARTICLE TITLE:
    Sipping the Waters: Techniques for Selecting Untreated Backcountry Water for Drinking by Michael von Gortler, MD.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools