Topic

Fuel Adapter Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fuel Adapter Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Bender

@shovelman

Locale: Out East, sort of

When flying places to camp and hike it is not a good idea to try to fly fuel, and preshipping is a hassle. But fuel backpacking fuel canisters are hard to find. Everyone has those giant Coleman propane canisters, so as a bailout option I'd like an adapter from that to my backpacking stove. Anybody know where to get one?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I don't know the answer, but the pressure inside those green canisters is much higher than inside the standard type, so maybe that is a problem.
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You could go with alcohol. Auto parts stores/supplies, and hardware stores are almost everywhere. If you are just boiling water for your meals….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The green Coleman canisters are propane. This can be at double the pressure found inside a small screw-thread canister. Mating a propane cylinder to a conventional light stove can be risky, and the threads are NOT compatible at all.

The same applies to the larger LPG cylinders.

However, Coleman do sell stoves adapted to their propane cylinders. Perhaps you need to consider one of these?

Cheers

Tom Bender

@shovelman

Locale: Out East, sort of

Pretty sure the needle valve on a backpacking stove would handle the pressure but sure would not want to open 'er up to see what she'd do. Might have to get a machinist buddy to make something up.

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Locale: SLO County

I can't verify the safety of using such adaptor with any lindal valve stove (don't have any), it does work quite well with my Coleman Xtreme and Xpedition stoves.

Use with a 20lb bulk tank.

I follow this chartchartas a guide as to when use the adaptor…colder is better?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

At my store we have a couple of old Coleman Powermax stove adapters. They go from a Powermax stove to … I think its propane but maybe canister? They are old and in the clearance bin for like 5 or 10 bucks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> old Coleman Powermax stove adapters. They go from a Powermax stove to ?

Screw-thread canister.
    I have one, it works, but the total weight starts mounting. A Coleman Fyrestorm which mates directly to a screw-thread fitting would be a better choice imho.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools