Topic

Anachronistic Rain Garment Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anachronistic Rain Garment Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I've been thinking of a way to get something similar to a below-the-knee cagoule with plenty of ventilation and good protection for a pack and when you sit down (so that you can cover your legs) and yet not be as billowy as a poncho. However I look at it I always come back to clothing from the Middle Ages and Renaissance. They really knew how to make protective clothing.

I was thinking to use something like an ID Silcoat Cape and instead of rainpants, use a waterproof apron or "tabard" underneath. I'd slit the front of the cape, put in a zipper, and allow it to be pulled back when not raining hard to open up the front of the cape.

Some ideas come from capes, tabards, mandelions, cowls, and hoods:

cassock and cape

mandelion

musketeer tabart

Hood 1

(The top of the sleeve of the tunic under the hood has an "archer's notch sewn in so that when you raise your arm the tunic falls away and doesn't restrict your motion.)

Hood 2

I was thinking to also use Bill Fornshell's idea of the insulated tunic/quilt and also the Fin Finbar Hood, but a better version of the hood, using a Montane Extreme Smock Hood fitted with a shoulder skirt that I could use when sleeping in the quilt.

Here are some more ideas for Medieval and Renaissance clothing. It may be funny in many ways to look at this stuff, and a lot of it wouldn't be practical in wind or climbing steep trails, but if you stop and think about what people back then needed to stay warm and dry in the non-mechanized world they lived in, their clothing can give us a lot of hints for our own way to design for the outdoors.

What do you think?

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I think this is a great idea! And it would make for some quite interesting conversations with passer-bys. Back in high school, my class put on a Rennisance Fair where we all dressed in the attire of that time and believe it or not, it was all quite comfy.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Maybe a matchcoat from your tarp?

http://www.wildeweavery.com/home.htm (click on match coat).

I have a short cape, much like a bicycle cape, I made that
    works great when you are hiking uphill in the rain.

I have seen similar things used by horse packers and made
    using a small square of plastic sheet with a slit for the
    head in it.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

I have tried a few of these ideas. Biggest problem with any of them is being willing to wear them hiking and put up with the trail "fashion police".

I was using my Tunic/ Quilt at night a few days ago as an "under quilt" for my hammock. Worked great. The temperature overnight was about 45 degrees (F).

I am about to make another one but using Cuben Fiber and cut the weight by a couple of ounces. That is going from a little over 7 ounces to below 5 ounces.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

The turntop boots in Miguel's first illustration have me thinking. Is it a fashion thing, or is there a practical element?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hazah!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools