Topic

Preparing silicone for seam sealing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Preparing silicone for seam sealing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I posted this in the gear forum, but provably here it will be more useful.
    Nothing really new, it is that I keep seeing people having problems mixing silicone and mineral spirits so this is an easy and quick way of doing it.
    This is a 2 minute video clip :
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7248563/18899600

Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Franco. love the music. Nice video. Could you show us a close up of the job done. I just finished doing my Duomid. It's in the yard being tested as it is raining again.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Ken
    This was all done very quickly. One take and it is live video.
    I just grabbed some detail from one of the last frames from that video. You should be able to see the sealer trickling down from the paintbrush. It is , at this stage, very runny, about the consistency I use .
    I never measure the mix , just go by feel.
    Franco
    Seam sealer cu

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Franco, I'm sorry, I meant on the tent.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

There was no tent to seam seal. I just did that to show how simple it can be to dilute silicone.
    As for why, see , for example, page 2 of the "silnylon misting" thread, my comment there.
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thank you.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ken,
    Here is a Spinn seam, with bivy loop stitching at the center. My silicone was about the same consistency as Franco's. I applied it with a syringe. When I flip the tarp over, I can see the silicone has wicked through.

SeamSealed2

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Perfect timing. I am about to go get some silicone for a new GG Spinn Shelter. Never was accurate with the 3 to 1 ratio measuring. Thanks for the video.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Excellent, thanks for the video! Is it considered a requirement to later powder the seam with talc to prevent it from sticking to itself when packed?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Some do, I don't. Mine stay up for at least a day and a night ,usually 2 days.
    A few years ago i did the whole floor of a BD tent and put that away when I thought it was completely dry. Sometime later I put that up to find that a wrinkle on the floor had stuck to itself.
    Unfortunately, having left my brain upstairs , I proceeded to forcefully separate the fabric. I now have a patch on that floor.
    So, take your time…
    Franco

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

If you're short on patience, or have a sore wrist, a slightly bent finish nail chucked in a drill will stir up a uniform batch in a few seconds.

When I first posted this method, a guy said it took longer to get out the drill than it does to mix by hand, and he didn't have the money to spare for a nail. So, depending on your drill storage and financial situation, this may not be the solution for you.

Worked like a charm for me though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools