Topic

LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I think we are misreading each other. David, I DO respect your opinion (and I've on numerous occasions gone to you for advice about gear, even privately, haven't I?). Honestly I do. It just feels to me that you are attacking the people for liking the pack, rather than just taking on the pack itself. That's how it feels. Maybe I'm completely misreading your words.

I'm curious… does everything in these UL forums have to be something completely new and heretofore unseen in order to be worthy of respect?

David Ure

@familyguy

No, I don't think everything on these forums has to be new and improved. Maybe I was stating the obvious? I am happy that more Europeans will have access to UL gear. Locally and quite inexpensive!

Lets leave it at that. My initial comments were just that, comments and not any sort of attacks (who would I be attacking?).

Skype would be easier to discuss than the written word on these forums!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Skype would be easier to discuss than the written word on these forums!

Yep. I don't know how many times there have been tiffs, including from my end, because of misinterpretation of emails and forum posts. Sorry if I seemed bulldogish.

But I truly am curious… what direction do you think packs need to take in order to add spice back to what may seem like rehashed ideas now?

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I think having David answer that question would take this thread off-topic.

He had questions about what was innovative about a product, and some people told him what they think is. Now it is becoming David's view of the future of backpacks, with a heavy dose of exclamation marks.

I am not interested in hearing how David doesn't think this pack is innovative, over and over again. He expressed it, and it was received. I am looking forward to future reviews of the huckePACK when it is more readily available in the states, and elsewhere. As reviews of the product continue to come in, they will likely answer all of our questions.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

You're right, WIlliam. Sorry for the diversion.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I am not interested in hearing how David doesn't think this pack is innovative, over and over again."

William, I don't think this pack is very innovative.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Of course, being a German cottage-industry pack maker is innovative in and of itself. Everyone has differences in tailoring which fit some better than others as well. Not to mention that part of the appealing idea in undertaking as a cottage manufacturer is often the use of "local" sourcing and domestic workmanship. The buzz is rather entertaining and I look forward to seeing this company and others come to fruition, both here and internationally.

As an aside, it would be great if there were an official BPL (wiki?) info section that gave links, contact info, product categories, and geographical details for existing cottage gear gurus which could also be continually updated with emerging gear makers. Matt Lutz keeps a rather extensive list (link), which is great, but it would also be beneficial for these fine companies to have a bit more exposure and useful for BPL members to be able to reach the info less cryptically.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

So will they be sold in America? And what pricepoint? I'd like to get something different than the everyday. It might have been posted but I lost track in all of the "I don't like it" posts. I love my Golite, but I'm always looking for the next in line.

David Ure

@familyguy

""I don't like it" posts"

Where were those?

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

Not here. My bad. Price?

Sebastian Boenner

@racoon-on-tour

Locale: beautiful Rhineland (Germany)

Until now the LAUFBURSCHE-cottage is not open yet. Only his personal blog has gone online. There weren't any prices announced yet. (I guess that it would probably be somewhere around 150/ 170 €. Don't know how much it would be including shipping and tax. But comparable to the prices of US-cottage-gear in sold in Europe.)
    As far as I know he will mainly sell his packs (and other gear like the tanzPALAST) via the www.
    So I think it will be no problem to send them to the US (or somewhere else). US-cottages send their gear to Europe why shouldn't he send his to the States?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

in·no·va·tion
    Pronunciation: ˌi-nə-ˈvā-shən
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 : the introduction of something new
    2 : a new idea, method, or device : novelty

I think the pack is an innovation. Development in the US seems to have "hit the wall" as someone mentioned here earlier (a new material, as for example MLD now using Dyneema for their packs, is an extension of their current line – for me) and Laufbursche, with his education as a Dipl. – Engineer & Architect, took design to the next level. He's also a perfectionist, so the build is of the highest quality.

Yes, innovation for a frameless pack can only go so far, but the lid, build and materials used are for me – and a couple others here, it seems – reason enough to hail it as a innovation. Yes, it is made of lightweight materials – nothing new, yes it has a small size – nothing new, yes, it has a mesh front and side pockets – nothing new, though the lid, the attachment system for the pad on the back are something that hasn't been see like this on another pack and hence are seen as an innovation (David, as I know that we like to misunderstand each other, this is not an attack on you, I accept your opinion =).

Mateusz is working hard on getting the company off the ground. SME law in Germany is sadly not as "relaxed" as in the US, so it takes a lot more work and time. But we are getting there, and I am positive that Laufbursche's Online Shop will open in a couple of months (shipping worldwide!).

For those who need more proof of the innovation: Video of the Laufbursche huckePACK.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Hendrik – intelligent post and as I have indicated previously, I wasn't attacking the pack or manufacturer in any way. Just stating my perspective.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hendrik, as mentioned before the bivy sold me on the company and Mateuze made up a great quality product for a very good price. Having several packs and probably just a few too many, it takes some inovation, or something special to get my attention right now in a pack. Your video did the trick. I'll be looking at this line of packs as you continue to publish more about this developing product. Please keep us all updated. Thanks, John

T.C. Cromie
    Spectator

@yogru

Locale: Land of too much rain!

So now well over a year later, has this project just been scrapped? Last word seemed to be summer of last year but nothing came of it. Does anyone know if regular Joes will ever be able to purchase this pack?

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

there is still no official homepage out at the moment ( but it is in work), only the laufbursche blog. there you can find the emailaddress. contact him and he will send you the pack configurator

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

I think this may be the pack I am after for next years PCT Thru-Hike! I have considered all the usual candidates from MLD, ULA, HMG etc. The HMG windrider was at the top of my list until I saw the LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK. Looks like a great pack with some really nice features. Has anyone used one for a Thru-Hike or extended backpacking trip?

I have emailed Errand Boy to see if I can get the pack configurator. Is it a little app he has made? Anyone know what the various options are? I would love to see some more photos if anyone has one. :)

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

I have heart that there a 3 packs on the PCT at the moment.
    And configurator is on the way to you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm hoping to get one for myself also. Really looks like what I have been hunting for.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I have his beta for the pack configuration. Might be a little old but I'd be happy to email forward it to you if you'd like.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

is configurator Windows only?

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

xls so yes its a windows file. If you have any office program worth its metal it will open it.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'm very interested in the LAUFBURSCHE Tanzpalast or dance palace. I've been using a GG Spinn shelter and I'd love to have one in cuben with tieouts on the sides so wind gusts don't knock the sides of the shelter against me.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools