Topic

montbell ul down inner jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) montbell ul down inner jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michael coppens

@mtc

Locale: midwest

i just returned ul down inner jacket after being appalled when i held it up to the light and, like an x-ray, could see the down (what there was of it) so spread out and/or settled in the corners/edges of the cells that there were many places where there was no down at all.
    i also returned a ul down inner sleeping bag (i think that's what it was called) early last year for the same reason.
    in all the reviews i've read about these two "lightweight marvels", this issue was never mentioned. anyone else ever notice this?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

No experience with MB's clothing.

If you're talking about the UL Spiral Down Hugger sleeping bags (or super stretch), there has been some discussion on under-filled bags. However, from what I hear, that was a year or two ago, and there really haven't been too many recent complaints to my knowledge.

One thing with their sleeping bags is their "stretch" system works differently than traditional bags. Even though the down may seem thin in some spots, the stretch bags are supposed to pull the inner fabric closer to you while allowing the outer shell to poof up and promote more loft.

This is my understanding of it, FWIW. I've got a MB Super Stretch 40 degree, and yes, there seems to be some thin spots in the insulation. However, I've had that bag down to 40 degrees many times without ever getting cold.

Loft and density of down is not always a consistent indicator of whether a bag will be warm or not. There are so many other factors!

Did you ever try the jacket and sleeping bag on backpacking trips or in your back yard at least? If you tried them and they didn't meet your expectations (or claimed performance), then they simply weren't for you; no arguing with that. But if you simply judged them by their *perceived* short-comings, you might want to at least give 'em a real try!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have one of those and the pants. All cells are full. Maybe you just got a bad one. Love mine.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Michael,
    The MontBell UL Inner Jacket has "sewn through" quilting & thus will transmit light more easily at the seams. I have used mine for 2 seasons now & for its weight, it is amazingly warm. Great for rest stops, in camp, & to augment a lightweight sleep system. You can get other jackets with baffled seams & more down, but they are heavier & more expensive.

michael coppens

@mtc

Locale: midwest

the bag was that gawdy lime green 40deg bag which i believe is not offered any more — it was not a "hugger" style. frankly, the bag and jacket were not much more than double layer windbreakers due to the missing insulation in so many places.

i'm going to order the montbell alpine light jacket (4oz vs. 2oz of fill). also since procured a western mountaineering mity-lite bag — although each with a bit of a weight penalty.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Too late now, but after recovering from your shock, methinks you should have done two things — in sequence:

1. Weigh the bag and the garment. Do they weigh according to spec — or substantially close? If so, then most likely they've got the proper filling (the shell/liner material won't vary much in weight at all).

2. Take it out for a test — backyard camping or similar.

Truth be told, when I got my first MontBell bag, I was really skeptical. The bag just seemed so light, so thin, and loft so little. I was really hesitant to use it for an upcoming trip to Wind Rivers — and ended up hauling extra insulation jacket and pants just in case. I was very, very pleasantly surprised that the bag's warmth was spot on! And the "flimsy" MB UL Down Inner keeps me warm to about 40F.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

nm

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I never even thought about holding up my MB Inner Jacket to the light before, so I just did it. And guess what? There's down in there. Some of it may have settled in some of the quilts, but if I shake it then the down becomes redistributed and lofts well. The acid test is how does it perform: I've been using it for maybe four years or more and it is WARM for a garmet weighing less than a cotton t-shirt! I wouldn't be without it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools