Topic

JakPak All-In-One Garment Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable JakPak All-In-One Garment Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

JakPak All-In-One Garment Review

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Excellent review. Thank you for the time and effort you put into writing this.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

One product that I can completely mark off my "to buy" list.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

looks like the product is updated and a lot of the reviewed iteration's aspects have been changed. For one, it now has a breatheable top/front material.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Nice review. I've heard of the JakPak and wondered about its usefulness for backpacking. Thanks for your enlightenment.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So it has been a couple of years now. I am amazed that Jakpak is still in business. I am not surprised that they dropped the homeless angle and are going after the outdoors folk with money.

Man I get tired of getting flak and then later am proved correct.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

But Ken, we all chipped in and got you one for your birthday!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Carhartts and a black hoody will get me high?

Sweeeet.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

that a product intended in part for the homeless (who need it) needs to be improved in quality/performance for those who don't really "need" it in order to sell well enough to be provided as intended to those who do.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. If I were at all good at sleeping on my back, I'd consider it as an option. or is it not necessary? I couldn't tell from the review it is possible to sleep on side in this?

"Our first shipments of six JakPaks were shipped last week to Salvation Army national headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia— the first step in what we hope will be a long-term and mutually beneficial relationship with The Salvation Army. The JakPak began with President Terry Jensen’s many years of working with homeless people in Seattle, and it is our hope, over time, to enable the Salvation Army to distribute JakPaks to those ‘who need it most.’ Active Engineering’s long-term goal is to be able to donate a percentage of sales to Non-Profit organizations to distribute to the thousands around the world without a jacket/shelter. We are very excited about this new step and will keep you all posted on how things progress."

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

Homeless who need it and want to stand out like a highway roadsign?

The last thing a homeless person sleeping out wants is to be discovered. It is dangerous living out like that, in an urban area. It is absolutely essential they be hidden and discreet.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Plus the first time that they pass out and soil themselves in it into the dumpster or worse it goes. Too bad vagrancy is no longer illegal.. Get some help, get to work. I've never seen a Latino pan handling.. WTF."

Wow. This discussion just took a pretty bigoted turn.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

yes, suggest moving to chaff.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

"Homeless who need it and want to stand out like a highway roadsign?"

That's not so bad to make them extremely visible. It used to drive me crazy when vagrants in Albuquerque would cross dark streets wearing dark clothing. I probably would've hit one by now if I still lived there, so I welcome anything that makes them more visible.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

When I head out solo and sport all my SUL gear, my girlfriend always tells me I look like I'm homeless…maybe this really is a product for us!

Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

Locale: The northwest is the BEST

After spending three years in chicago and spending a lot of time with the homeless communities there, working with them try to get IDs and places for them to stay so they can have jobs, I can say they do not deserve all the crap people give them. They obviously made bad choices in life, but once you have fallen that low it is near impossible to pick yourself back up. Everyone is against you, gangs beat you up, cops throw you in jail and take anything you have, and the few handouts you do receive do amount to much. So don't judge so quickly next time.

Eric

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I was actually being serious. My girlfriend really does say that. Ever seen a guy wearing a cuben poncho, cuben backpack, and cuben chaps….:)

Anyway, the product is a step in the right direction. It is integrating several pieces of gear which is what many of us try to do, but in this case it is not quite as usable as we would like, and not light enough.

But, good for them for thinking outside of the box. Maybe a few revisions will bring a more desirable product.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

I think the JakPak is a great idea that could fly once the issues with weight, fit, and breathability are addressed.

I like the idea of it for homeless. And Eric Krumland is right about the homeless. I have to say that some of the nicest people I've met have been homeless people. I have never had a homeless person NOT thank me for helping them; on the other hand, I've held doors for people who were in better situations, or have motioned people to cut in front of me on the highway, and never once did they say "thank you."

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Is the Jak Pak a 2-in-one product or can it also serve as a pack cover?

Joe Novak
    BPL Member

@jnovak6

Hi Chris,
    I realize that I'm coming to the party VERY late on this discussion and I hope this post finds it's way to you.

I found your quantification for attribute ratings interesting and I have a question.
    The only thing that I can't quite come to terms with is how you derived the "normalized" value at the end of each evaluation.
    Figures for both have a common factor of roughly 7.33 (achieved by dividing the normalized value into the score total for each product/system review).

Can you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    – JVK

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools