Topic

MYOG F1 remote canister conversion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG F1 remote canister conversion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I wanted a lightweight inverted canister stove that is easy to operate. I specifcally wanted the control valve to be easily accessible and give good flame control. This meant that the control valve needed to be on the stove itself, not at the canister like all commercial remote canister stoves.

I took a F1 Spirit canister mounted stove and made a vapouriser tube and legs, and added a fuel hose from a Brunton stove stand. Total weight is 155g

F1 remote canister stove

F1 in pot

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sweet. How did you manage the vaporizer tube?

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Hi, the vapouriser tube is #13 gauge stainless steel 'hypodermic' tubing bent to the required shape.

cheers S

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Stuart

Very nice! I am especially impressed with the heat exchanger arrangement.
    And I 100% agree with the desire to have a control valve at the burner after the heat exchanger too.

Cheers

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Stuart,

Very nice, extremely impressed with your high quality workmanship.

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am very impressed too.
    I had to take a close look at the F1 just to remind myself why I could not do it.
    OK, now I am depressed.
    Franco

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Thanks guys – and thanks for the inspiration provided by yourselves and fellow contributors to this forum.

Franco – it's not too hard to do with just some basic hand tools like hand drill, a saw and file, some taps and a bench vise

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I failed playdough at kindy…
    Franco

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Hi Roger

I hadn't thought of the vapouriser tube as a heat exchanger but you're right of course. Which then leads to the obvious question – how much heat is required to be exchanged?

The answer is just 0.8% of the stove's heat output – from the latent heat of vapourisation divided by the heat of combustion (butane and propane give much the same figure).

I need to move the vapouriser tube a little further away from the flame to get less heat coupling…

cheers S

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Stuart

You are right that very little heat is required in practice – see my article on using a Brunton Stove Stand with a strip of copper as a heat exchanger. In that case the gas goes nowhere near the flame even.

However, I wouldn't sorry about moving the vapouriser tube away – it really doesn't matter if it runs red hot! Take a look at the huge vapouriser tube on an XGK! All that can happen is that the hydrocarbon chain might start to break down inside where the tube is red hot – but it has to break down somewhere for the stuff to burn anyhow.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Neat job!

Has anyone come up with a neat clamp/fuel take off for a cigarette lighter refiller yet?

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Agreed it doesn't really matter if the vapouriser tube gets red hot, but the hotter it gets the more heat is conducted down the tube to the rest of the stove which can then become a bit too hot to handle after running for a while. That is all I am trying to reduce – I never like to settle for something that can easily be improved…

Cheers S

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Rog,

>Has anyone come up with a neat clamp/fuel take off for a cigarette lighter refiller yet?

I am not sure if this is what you mean.

<center>
    Small canister stove

</center>

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

"Has anyone come up with a neat clamp/fuel take off for a cigarette lighter refiller yet?"

They have! As I recall, a member in Japan made a great little clamp which fitted on butane cylinders of the size which fitted into curling tongs.

It was excellent! (o:

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Through my work on making this and another stove, I have realised something I hadn't before: the type of metal used for the mixer tube has a large effect on the heat conducted from the burner to the stove base.

Aluminium has a very high thermal conductivity (240 W/K/m), so stoves made from aluminium, such as this one, conduct a fair amount of heat to the base.

On the other hand, a previous stove made using a Pocket Rocket has a steel mixer tube which has a much lower thermal conductivity (43 W/K/m) and so much less heat is conducted to the base.

This effect might be useful in a canister mounted stove: a aluminium stove might conduct a useful amount of heat to the canister and help to keep the contents warm in marginal conditions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools