Topic

GSI Halulite Minimalist pot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GSI Halulite Minimalist pot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?p=50139

Was looking around for a new pot. Usual suspects including the Evernew and Snowpeak 600-900 range pots.

I don't like the fact that these have handles though.

Love everything about the ultra simple Firelite Sul 900 but the fact that it's about $20 more then the next nearest pot at $70. Plus it's out of stock. :(

Then I stumbled on the GSI Haluite Minimalist pot.

It's 600ml and has got the right form factor once you ditch all the accessories and lid.

It is aluminum though, not sure this is an issue but I can't find the weight.

Most amazing of all it's only $23.

Will probably at call GSI to at least find out the weight of the pot only.

It is new, but I've only find one tiny reference to it here on BPL.

Has anyone checked it out or tried it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It is hard anodized aluminum which means you have a natural non-stick surface and no taste carry over.
    Don't discount the lid, GSI lids are well designed – the kit has its own cozy so you can use the pot as a mug as well.

They should be rolling into stock soon, they were taking longer than GSI anticipated to arrive.

Most of all it is very affordable….

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

I also noticed they sell the Jetboil companion mug standalone.

http://www.rei.com/product/799267

Comes with the cozy which is quite useful and I'm anxious to compare with reflectix seems like great combination.

What's more I'm very curious as to how well the heat exchanger will work with alcohol and other stove types.

At $40 it seems like a great deal.

POT WEIGHT?

My only concern is I've found no listing on the weight of the standalone pot. As Tinny from Mini Bull Designs said "I was amazed at how much the pot weighed"… and I don't think that was "good amazed". I think it might be one heck of a heavy pot.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

The GSI site says it weighs 5 ounces.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That 5 ounces is for everything included, not just the pot.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

There is a significant difference between "non-stick" and "high-release." (This is just to clarify for others, as I am confident Sarah knows the difference). Hard Anodized interior is high-release. An egg will stick without fat, it will hold fond for deglazing, but will clean fairly easily.

I have the GSI Halulite tall 2 liter boiler and (other than thow-away handles) it has served me well, but mostly for popcorn and deep frying at home. It is too much for 3 season trail use for 2 people.

The Minimalist pot you mention looks like a decent option for most solo uses and some 2 person cooking styles. You could probably be satisfied with it. Options abound. If *all* you want is a 600mL boiler, the Snow Peak ti bowl is half the weight, a touch cheaper. Trail Designs has an even cheaper option, a little bigger, but cheap non-stick.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The newer generations of Halulite has changed considerably over what they produced only 4 or so years ago. It definitely doesn't stick like the first gen pots did. (I had one of the tall boilers back when they came out.)

On the Minimalist, it is plain HAA. If a person picks up the Soloist or Dualist the Halulite actually sports a full non-stick coating.

But, with the Minimalist you won't have much room for actual cooking though – it is really just a water boiler. It is not what I would consider doable for 2 person meals – full capacity is about 20 ounces, so in most cases a safe boil of 16 ounces. 2 cups will do one person nicely if they use 1 cup for food, 1 cup for hot drink.

I wouldn't recommend cheap non stick though for actual cooking. A few dollars more is well spent for the life of the non stick (a tiny bit more weight spent in HAA with a coating is worth it, the heat conducts better).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's not minimalist and too heavy.

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

Got mine.

The halulite alumnum is quicker to heat up than my titanium pot of same volume water. It has not hotspots.

I didn't try this on a tiny cartridge-stove.

I used my alcohol Super Stove. This stove has the right flame-pattern(the flames do not go up the sides of the pot).

GSI has a remark about the flame-pattern.

Hmm, is that in the instruction with the Minimalist or the Ketalite? I bought both, the day they appeared at REI.

Okay, probably in the instruction with the Minimalist, although both the Minimalist and the Ketalist have silicone: the Minimalist around the edge of the sipper lid, the Ketalist on the bail-handle and the handle for the lid.

Okay, silicone is great. But, it is a real lint-magnet.

I will use a Opsak.

But, really nice of GSI to give us all this at a great price: the pinch silicone pot-holder has a magnet inside to snap to the fuel canister. The smaller 4 oz canisters do fit inside, along with the selection of small folding "mini-stoves" no doubt. Someone else will have to confirm it. The lid seems over much. The lid and neoprene sleeve look likely for FBC cuisine.

I tried it out. It does the job.

I do not use the "foon".

But, hey, GSI is interested in "lightweight backpackers".

That is "a good thing".

I had purchased a Soloist, but it is just too big. I still have it, in case I am "car camping" enroute to backpacking.

If you want to get rid of the lid, see if Jason Klass has a lid made to fit?

In fact, a Trails Design silicone band and a Jason Klass lid might be a happy "kit". I know I want one, just to try it out.

I am happy with Halulite aluminum, a food safe ceramic.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I have an older GSI Haulite and really like it. The aluminum distributes heat well and the hard coat anodize is really durable and good for non-stick. Its not as quick to shed burned food as true non-stick but by the same token it won't flake off after years of use and put weird chemicals in your food. Combine that with the great price and you have a solid system.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

22 bucks at MEC, canada only weighs 141g. back ordered to hell along with my la sportiva ganda guide boots.

James Meeker
    BPL Member

@jwmeeker

Locale: Southern CA

The pot by itself is 3.4oz, with the lid and insulating sleeve it is 5.5. The pot gripper is .4oz. Would have been nice if they had put measurement marks on the pot but they did not.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Just in terms of not liking the handles on an evernew– they remove in a few seconds, no problems, easily replaceable if desired. I added a wire bail to my evernew by drilling a couple small holes through the rim, but found that life was just easier w/the extra 0.3 oz or whatever by using the normal handles.

The jetboil pot/cup is crazy heavy in comparison, and the tall/narrow aspect loses heat efficiency, particularly used w/another system. I don't know the weight, but the cup + stove weigh just short of a pound.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools