Topic

Trashy Souper Rice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Trashy Souper Rice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

New recipe I came up with today and posted on the website, over on Trail Cooking. I developed it for a new food find, dry cream of mushroom soup mix.

Kathleen might want to skip this mushroom fest ;-)

Trashy Souper Rice

Ingredients

* 1 c instant rice
    * 1⁄4 c freeze dried mushrooms, crumbled
    * 3 T dry cream of mushroom soup mix
    * 1 T dry milk
    * 1 T dried chives
    * 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
    * 2 T crushed potato chips
    * 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
    * 1 1⁄4 c water

Instructions

At home pack all the dry ingredients except for the potato chips in a sandwich or quarter freezer bag. Tuck the crushed potato chips in a small zip top bag, with the packet of olive oil.

In camp:
    FBC method:
    Add the oil and near boiling water to the quart freezer bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy for 15 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips.

Insulated mug method:
    Add the dry ingredients, oil and the boiling water to your insulated mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips.

One pot method:
    Bring the water and oil to a boil, add in the dry ingredients. Take off the stove, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips. In cool temperatures use a pot cozy.
    Notes

Ingredient finds:
    Dry cream of mushroom soup mix: http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmsb&cn=Cream+of+Mushroom+S…
    Freeze dried mushrooms: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/FD-Mushrooms-4015-oz41_p_1908.html

Dry weight is around 7 ounces.

Photobucket

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Oh, gag, and pffft! I've heard pregnant people start doing really weird things right before they deliver. This proves it.

Think about it, Sarah. By eating that soup you're feeding fungus to your poor, unborn child who has no advocate but me. Hang in there, little one! When you're old enough to sit in a high chair you can start tossing it all on the floor and walls!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hehheh! I am sure Kirk will find that one funny :-D

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Needs an egg on top! Mmm good.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

MORE dried mushrooms!
    I'd skip the crisps myself.

Cheers

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Looks good. I agree with Roger though…more mushrooms and skip the chips. Yummy.

David Dixon

@talusman

Sarah, if I were to add dehydrated meat what do you think would work best in this?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

David,

I would do hamburger….keeps it super trashy that way ;-) 1/4 cup of it would be very filling, you might even bump the amount of rice down.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

You crack me up!

Bring on the shrooms!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools