Topic

Olive oil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Olive oil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Olive oil (extra virgin) is part of my kit. Most of the time it just provides calories and added taste to my diet. But there are many other uses for it.
    Ear ache. Warm some and pour it in the ear canal*
    Good for constipation. Just add extra to your food.
    Good for shaving
    Good for scratches/chafing and burns (after copious cold water has been pored on it and obviously if other burn treatments are not at hand)
    Great for bees stings, just rub in as soon as possible.
    (BTW, bacteria cannot grow on olive oil)
    A drop on toilet paper or better still cotton, will make a good fire starter.
    And as a lubricant.
    Franco

* If you need a "Make sure it isn't too hot or you will burn yourself " warning, well maybe you should not go around unsupervised

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

The Romans used it as a "soap".
    lather it on and scrape it off.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

A neat trick for gardeners is to rub the hands with it then wipe the excess off, then play in the dirt. The hands will wash a lot faster after the work is done.
    Franco

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

Right after a hard rain, I used a half a cap of Olive Oil and some TP to make a great fire starter. Worked well.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Olive oil is good, but sometimes I want a buttery flavor. So I pack a couple ounces of ghee as well. It has a long shelf life.
    You can make it yourself.
    I get it at my local Indian market, but can be purchased online as well.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The big advantage of olive oil is the anti bacterial properties, it cannot go "off" .
    Before we had a fridge (40 years ago…) my mother used to make ghee. All I remember was the smell and that we had butter for the winter.
    My grandparents were high country farmers.

Franco

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

Add a little hot chili oil to your olive oil to spice it up a bit. You can then leave the Tabasco/Tapitio at home.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Excellent for chapped hands + feet also –> make sure you keep it cool and not exposed to light, if at all possible, as it does go rancid rather easily under warmer + brighter conditions.

Has anyone successfully used it as fuel for cooking?

Saponified olive oil is probably already used by many (dr. bonners) on the trail.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I carry olive oil on all my trips. I always add some to my meals to boost calories.

I have never used it for this purpose, but, methinks it would probably work well for chapped lips. Has anyone tried this?

-Sid

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

If you you use a Kelly Kettle (KK)–or hopefully the soon to be sold Backcountry Boiler, you can use this as stove fuel. A few tablespoons added to tissue paper will burn very well in the kettle–can boil about 3 cups of water in the standard size KK. It does leave a slight oily residue in the KK chimney–but much less so than that chemical gunk you get from burning Esbit tabs.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is a staple for me, so much that some fellow bay area bpl's have given me the trail name "OliveOil". Franco, you would not originally be from Tuscany, would you?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"And as a lubricant."

Er… do I want to know?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Katharina
    Strangely enough I come from the top of Piedmont, only a few Km from Switzerland.
    My folk have been high country farmers for generations so I grew up with butter , real milk and cheese…
    We only used olive oil for salads and frying chips at home.
    Then , after I left Italy I did not use olive oil for about a decade; I grew to dislike the taste.
    Started using it again about 20 years ago and now I love it.

Dean
    You are a doctor, you already do know.
    Note the label : not to be used for the other use.
    Franco

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Use as a lubricant is restricted if you have followed the recommendation to add hot chili oil!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I don't have the problem , so I cannot test this myself but I was wondering ( since it is the multi use thread) if olive oil and hot chili oil could be used as a substitute for Preparation H.
    (I am thinking along the lines of using the heat to relieve pain)
    I would appreciate very much if we could get a few to volunteer for this test.
    Franco

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I'm thinking this would be the equivalent of putting icy hot on your genitals to make you run faster.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

you people are just plain nasty! haha

non yep

@yep

Locale: sonoran desert

also great for:
    dandruff/scalp on thrus
    massaging muscles
    oil lamps, less toxic and cheaper than lamp/kerosene…make a lamp out of anything

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

in winter i carry olive oil to add calories to my food, this time my wife lost our BB the first day of a 5 day hike in a no fire zone.
    I ended using the oil in a candle lantern aluminium cup to heat water :)oil stove

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I just got a handful of packets from Subway Sandwiches of Extra Virgin Olive Oil / Canola Oil. Handy little 1/2 oz foil packets. Good source of free trail fodder.

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

Bacteria can't grow in Olive oil? I am having a REALLY hard time verifying that. I know they have found bacteria in all kinds of oil (including crude). Can anyone substantiate this?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

up to a point …

"ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY. Olive polyphenols have been demonstrated to inhibit or delay the rate of growth bacteria such as Salmonella, Cholera, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, and Influenza in vitro. These data suggest a potential role of olive water polyphenol antioxidants in promoting intestinal and respiratory human and animal wellness, and as an antimicrobial food additive in pest management programs.
    http://www.oliveoilsource.com/article/antioxidant"

Franco

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

At the same time, this data is for pure olive oil. Infusing the oil may change these properties. In particular, garlic oil is a hotbed for bacteria and will go bad very quickly if not refrigerated.

EDIT: And by bad, I mean botulism bad. Great for the wrinkles, not much else.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

How does shaving with it go over? I would imagine it would be terrible for your pores and not something you want to do often?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools