Topic

3 weeks until my Trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont 3 weeks until my Trek

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chris whitmoyer
    BPL Member

@crwhit

As the title states, only 3 weeks until my trek starts. Training the crew has been extremely frustrating this time. We had scheduled 132 Miles of hiking and backpacking to help the crew develop into a well oiled machine. Unfortunately, we never had a trip where all the crew showed up. The kids kept coming up with things that they felt were more important than preparing for Philmont. We had 2 kids with less than 30 miles of hiking with the crew. I can say that I will not feel sorry for the unprepared kids. In fact, they may end up with the heavier share of the crew equipment.
    <p style=”text-align: left; padding-left: 40px;”>I did see on the Philmont Facebook page that there is still a substantial amount of snow on the road to Cypher’s mine. I will be going through that area around July 1 after climbing Mt Phillip’s and Comanche Peak.</p>

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

“In fact, they may end up with the heavier share of the crew equipment.”

Sounds like a great way to ensure bad attitudes and encourage a scout to never backpack again.  When you scheduled your shakedowns did you include a  minimum participation requirement for them?  My troop at the first parents/crew meeting  we provided the parents and scouts a list of all the shakedown dates and a contract/expectations sheet that spelled out how many trips the scouts needed to participate in.  Had both the scout and parents sign it.  We planned 5 day hikes and 5 weekend backpacking trips.  The scout had to participate in a minimum of three each.  Only had trouble one scout but the issue was resolved.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

Likewise.

We schedule and post the dates as part of the troop’s calendar for four 3-day / 2-night weekend trips of increasing difficulty that meet the Backpacking MP qualification and tell everybody up front that every participant must attend at least 3 and make their payments on time or be dropped without refund because Philmont doesn’t refund.

Unfortunately, those not prepared for the rigors of Philmont cause hardship on everybody.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.” Moonshine

chris whitmoyer
    BPL Member

@crwhit

We did provide a list of dates to the crew as soon as the crew was announced last October. We are part of a Council Contingent. Only 3 of the Scouts are from my Troop. The Council collects the payments and does not set the amount of training needed before the trip. I don’t even know if we could enforce attendance requirements.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Going with a council contingent you have no control over others commitment other than persuasion. Good luck!

Your best option is to train those in your troop and control and hope for the best. Concentrate on your gear and Philmont’s methods and hope to train the other members on the trail. When you demonstrate your skills and knowledge hopefully, they will follow your example.

The worst Philmont experience is still better than the best experience anywhere else.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Council contingents offer a Philmont experience to those who otherwise would not have the opportunity or means to go. Our first Philmont trek was with our Council contingent.

The family information and gear talk was the only training the council offered and it was by a guy that had been only once the year before. He really meant well but his experience and gear were lacking.

Our crew was my son and I, another dad and son from another troop, 3 Scouts from the same troop and 2 Scouts from 2 different troops. All strangers before the family information and gear talk and not much chance for training or anything else.

We had the best Ranger and ranger training I have ever had, and we learned how to best do Philmont with our not so great gear.

The worst Philmont experience is still better than the best experience anywhere else.

chris whitmoyer
    BPL Member

@crwhit

This is my 3rd trek but the 4th that I helped train. My previous trip were mostly kids in my Troop. But this crew makes me wonder if the kids really want to go. I am kind of happy that we chose a low mileage trek so we will have plenty of time to get the tasks completed. We have a parents and crew member meeting today and I plan on asking the Council High Adventure chair for his thoughts on the kids not attending shakedowns.

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

I don’t see why a council contingent could not impose a minimum participation standard. I know my council has done that for contingent trips to Jambo.  They had several mandatory  weekend camp outs. It would seem like a good idea because you don’t know the scouts skill level due to them being from different troops.  Like I said for 2017 we did it because I had a pretty good idea if I didn’t we would have several scouts who would not have gone on any shakedowns. The next year we went to MOHAB and we didn’t do it because I knew we had a crew of scouts that were motivated for the trip and enjoyed backpacking.  The only problem  is trying to deal with it retroactively.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

It was my experience that most Scouts and dads going with the council contingent are inexperienced backpackers from troops that didn’t have the experience or means to go to Philmont on their own.

I don’t think councils wants to discourage or deny anyone the chance to experience Philmont. So they just herd them up and send them as best they can.

Anyone who’s been in Scouting more than a year or two has heard of the famed Scouting’s Paradise and wants to experience it too. But most of these inexperienced backpackers don’t believe how difficult a 12-day trek can be or have the gear and skills to fully appreciate the challenge.

That’s the reason I say;

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

We’re cramming for the final with our crew.  We won’t have as much prep as I wanted, but we will succeed.  The early part of our trek is low miles.  I’m having our scouts do some neighborhood hiking on their own with their packs to supplement what we didn’t get done as a crew.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools