Topic

Emergency book

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Emergency book

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Bob, much of that is the insurance company and we don't want to get started on that. The way I see it, when my card expires it's time to get a new one. I have never heard of an org. letting your card get more than a few weeks overdue and still be considered certified. That doesn't even really sound legal.

I looked in my first aid pouch because I use AMK. Yes, I too carry the few grams it takes. It is actually a quite comprehensive guide for what it is.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"That doesn't even really sound legal."

Yes, I have my doubts about it. It's not a matter of criminal law or civil law, but it just doesn't sound right. But, it stands.

–B.G.–

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Bob,

From the sounds of it you are not a WFR or a WEMT, maybe you could make room in the thread for someone who can respond with a little more experience?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

If I was looking for the everything you never wanted to know about trauma, as I said, look to the military handbooks (and not just the US either). I am still big on the smart phone just for multi-use factor.

If it doesn't feel good, you're doing it wrong.

BJ`

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> some organizations manage to recognize some Red Cross certificate for a
    > longer period than what the Red Cross does.
    A Red Cross certificate is a PRODUCT which is sold. If they don't put an expiry date on it they won't get repeat revenue next year and may get sued 20 years later.

I can understand some user organisations playing by different rules. After all, if the expiry date is today, does that mean you are skilled today but won't know anything tomorrow? Slightly unlikely. Especially if you have about 5 of the identical certificates piled up. (I do.)

Cheers

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

As I have been ranting here at BPL I am also making a new frame bag for my Giant bikepack bike. The frame is made from corro-plast (plastic signs)

Pop quiz:

What should I do when I dam near severe my thumb trying to MYOG and listen to this senseless drivel. I cut it straight across the wrinkle. Hurts like hades. (was cutting the cp with a razor knife cutting towards myself. Saw it coming. One of those "Oh Crap" moments. Stuff happens. Just thought I'd share that. I'm not joking.
    Ok all you first aider's, treat me. (obviously I plugged the hole)

BJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I did the same thing a couple of years ago — couldn't plug the hole — I bled on and off for hours. Finally drove myself to Emergency. Soon as I got there, blood gushed out like a fountain — the counter, the floor — all red with my blood. They stitched me up in minutes — didn't even have to wait. I was happy — until the bill arrived — $1,000!!

Then, someone told me about Super Glue! Wish I had known sooner.

But you said you plugged the hole, right? So keep the wound clean and change band aid from time to time. That should be it, right?

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Walk it off you big pansy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You don't know where that razor knife had been.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Surely the answer has duct tape and beer somewhere in it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don't think it's salvageable, have to amputate…….

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Actually so far a curad pad and vinyl gaffers tape (1/2") really tight. I'll leave that be until morning and hopefully the edges will be more or less healed. Some seapage is good to allow the wound to drain, otherwise infection can set in more easily and that is what kills.

I live in rural Montana. I commute with a bicycle. If it can't wait till morning than so be it. I did use ice cold water over my entire hand to slow the bleeding on my thumb. It is quite effective.

It was bleeding too bad for cyano (superglue) besides I'm kind of an old hippy and that kind of stuff freaks me out. As everything else we've talked about, it does have it's place.

When I solo I bring my UL pouch that I have luckily never had to use since returning to MT. It does have two unopened tubes of CA. It seems like I only injure myself at home..

That's funny I don't care what you say……….

BJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Surely the answer has duct tape and beer somewhere in it."

Duct tape and tequila (or vodka).

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Ben: Vodka, was it that obvious? I guess I forgot to add the intoxication variable:]

Bob: Yes I do, it came out of my sewing machine. The blade was as good as it gets. That is why I'm sporting a 3/4" gash on my thumb while trying not to ………………. Maybe you should try eating something or perhaps just a good sleeping pill.

BJ

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I've been a WFR for 3 years with a strong interest in wilderness emergency medicine. Figured I should post up my certifications.

You've got step one down good, pressure and time to clot. I don't like superglue near joints or other areas especially when I'm unsure about the cleanliness of the wound ( no reflection on you BJ). I'd check it in a few hours to see if the bleeding has stopped or slowed. Earlier if it was not clean, got to get in there and flush with copious of amounts of 100:1 Iodine solution.

If you've got a clean wound, full Range of Motion and circulation, sensation and capillary refill then maybe some steri-strips gauze and tape for a few days. Prophylactic Neosporin (or antiboitic ointment) around the wound but NEVER on it. Probably move you down to band aids in a few days. Assuming of course no infection or other complications.

Liberal use of spirits is recommended to dull the pain.

No book used. How'd I do?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Except for the range of motion at this point you are spot on. I actually have my thumb immobilized with the vinyl tape to give it a chance to heal. As always, the hygiene issue should go without saying. If you don't have enough sense to keep the wound clean than you deserve the Darwin Award.

I must be doing it wrong……

BJ

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

…as my "walk it off have a beer and STFU" treatment.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Beer is in no way compatible with UL hiking. Vodka, Rum, or Everclear are the only choices. If you choose Everclear you are following the MYOG/Multi-Use philosophy. You can use it as an antiseptic (there, I tied it into the OP), cut it 50/50 for a straight vodka like drink or use it full strength for fuel in your UL Alky stove. I did get vodka to burn once on a really warm day (96^f).

BJ

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Isaac,

I think your original question was about a book. I admit I haven't read this whole thread, but I scanned it and didn't see an answer to your question. This is the book I use and it meet your description of roughly "6×6 inches and about a 100 pages." I highly recommend it for those with some 1st aid training and some common sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Wilderness-Medicine-Adventure-Medical/dp/0965976807

-Mark

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Hey Alex, I find it difficult to stomach those condescending tortillas myself.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Thank you Mark. That looks the real deal. I, along with others, suspected Adventure Medical Kits. Good call.

The rest of this is feeling like Chaffe.

BJ

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

>>The rest of this is feeling like Chaffe.<<

Yeah, sheesh. Apparently we can make anything into a controversy here at BPL.

G

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Gordon,

That's why we love it. Please tell me you are standing under a waterfall…… I was stationed in Ft Lewis. It kind of looks like you are walking a dog?
    BJ

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

I wonder if a first-aid wiki would be in order?
    BJ

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools