Topic

SF Bay Area BPLers – Wilderness First Aid with Bobbie Foster in Los Altos, CA March 27-28

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SF Bay Area BPLers – Wilderness First Aid with Bobbie Foster in Los Altos, CA March 27-28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Wasn't sure where to post this. Bobbie Foster of Foster Calm, one of the best first aid trainers in our area, is teaching her Wilderness First Aid Course in Los Altos, CA on March 27-28 and there are a few spots left. If you are interested these tend to fill up fast. My wife and I are taking the course that weekend as well. It was hosted at our local Sierra Club chapter recently but we couldn't make it that weekend.

Note that the course can range in price from $100-175 or more depending on the sponsoring organization, and $100 is the very cheapest it goes for (that was the Sierra Club price). UCSF and an outdoor youth non-profit in Milpitas were hosting it for $175.

Note – I have no connection to Foster Calm. I just thought you might find this helpful for both wilderness trips as well as general preparedness.

There are other dates as well that you can check on Foster Calm's calendar below, but note that the prices depend on the sponsoring organizations and space depends on how many spots are available after the sponsoring org has used their spots.

http://www.fostercalm.com/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So I guess we won't be seeing you at Henry Coe. Have heard good things about her class.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

heh, I know enough, but thanks for the heads up.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Hi Ken and Ken,

I originally thought the Coe trip was going to be on the 20th, when we had a snowshoe backpacking trip planned, so stopped following the thread. Glad it's coming together.

Right now I'm trying to salvage the summer season. I don't even know if I can make the short Yosemite snow trip I had planned for the 20th – only reason for hope is the low mileage (5 mi in and 5 mi out), I'm icing my foot like crazy and found a good cushioned off-the-shelf footbed for now. And heck there are "ice packs" everywhere on a snow trip.

MRI showed 2nd Metatarsal Stress Syndrome (stretched/torn ligament around base of 2nd toe joint) and Morton's Neuroma right next to it – essentially rigid big toe (Hallux Rigidus) is dropping too much weight on the other toes, and over time stretched/tore ligament at base of 2nd toe which was taking most of the load. That stretched/torn ligament is irritating the nerve causing the Morton's Neuroma. Oh and got Plantar Fasciitis for first time in same foot 3 days ago from tightening due to lower activity, but it's going down with constant icing and stretching calves and PF.

Right now I'm doing everything I can to reduce the inflammation with ice gel packs, Advil, ultrasound and more ice packs

Let me emphasize that a bad inexperienced podiatrist is a recipe for disaster. Not only did she not diagnose me properly or have me do most of the things that would have helped (icing several times/day, oral anti-inflammatory, cushioned footbed, ultrasound, wider forefoot shoes, etc.), but she gave me a cortisone shot in the Morton's Neuroma when you are not supposed to for an active person with this injury. I didn't feel any pain at the base of that 2nd toe joint until 3 weeks after the cortisone shot. Once she realized she royally screwed up she set me up with the more experienced department head, but I'm also going to see a sports podiatrist and a pedorthist who is a runner himself (foot biomechanics and shoe/insole expert) who works with athletes. I've also thoroughly researched hiking and running shoes that will work well for me.

If you ever have a foot problem, see an experienced podiatrist, preferably one with sports expertise, a good pedorthist and do your own research – don't just rely on the doc, especially if he/she is a couch potato.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

SFBAC HAT offers this as a 16hr course. I took it last year with Bobbie at one of our camps. You receive your ASHI card if you pass. That card works for Philmont. I love the outdoor scenarios.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

I've heard only great things about Bobbie and the course. I was an ER summer volunteer at one of the roughest inner city hospitals in the country in high school, and have some training from Boy Scouts and the army, but taking this as a good refresher. Also so my wife can get training (I'm always asking her what she's going to do if I get conked on the head – once she answered "go home and take a hot shower and sleep in my own bed", but heck it was -5F with windchill to -20F that day so I can't blame her). I think the certification is good for 3 years.

BTW, WFA does not include CPR, because it's assumed you're too far away to get to a hospital in time to make a difference. But you can take that separately in a shorter course from Bobbie, Red Cross or other group.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

We can never have to many trained people in the outdoors.
    The confidence of being trained might help you save some one's life. The training session I did was at Rancho Los Mochos in the Livermore hills. Most of us camped overnight. We were able to spend quality time talking to Bobbie and her helpers.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I took my WFR recert a few months ago from WMI in Santa Cruz. Bobbie was also recert-ing in the class. Nice lady!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

EJ, sorry to hear your foot problems. That really does suck. Anti inflams would have helped alot. Funny that when your foot goes awry, life becomes difficult

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

For everyone who missed this class last year. You have now the chance to take this class with Bobbie Foster in Palo Alto on April 2&3

Send me a PM if you are interested to participate.

WHEN? on April 2 and 3, 2011, (a Saturday and Sunday), 8am-4pm.
    WHAT? Wilderness First Aid
    This covers: First Aid 1 & 2 requirements for Girl Scout leaders;
    ASHI certification for BSA (required for Philmont). You can also get your CPR certification class which would be held after the WFA class on Saturday (from ~6-9) which would make for a long day but you get it done without an additional training day needed.
    HOW MUCH? The cost for WFA is $100 per person with a $20 ASHI certification fee (if you’re a Scout leader going on activities with kids, you’ll want this card to confirm your training!) $25 extra if you want to get your CPR certification on Saturday evening after the WFA class ends.
    WHERE? Palo Alto. The course will be held at the Lucille Stern Center Scout Conference Room
    Space is limited to 24 maximum

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

My wife and I took this course last year in Los Altos, 10 min from Palo Alto. Time well spent. Note you'll do best if you read material before and after the course, and keep some sort of summary sheet with you on the trail. When I have the chance I'm looking to make a one-pager triage/treatment sheet, as I've never found a good one, and Bobbie didn't know of one. Anyone ever see one?

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

but not certain

Manfred, it appears you don't have a PM address set up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools