Topic

Titanium Spoke / Grill idea?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Spoke / Grill idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Just curious if this may work. I have 0 experience with Titanium but I was wondering if anyone see's any faults with this possible idea for a grill. Could also use be used to hold my pot over my ikea stove.Titanium spoke idea

Would like to use two sticks about an inch in diameter.. and somewhat wrap and maybe pinch together ends of the titanium around them. Im not sure if it is pliable enough though.

David Wills

@willspower3

someone made an UL grilliput a while back. 2 metal tubes of different diameters so one could fit inside the other with holes in them to put Ti rods to go across. The Ti rods all fit in the smaller of the 2 tubes. Looked like a great idea for some situations

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

I wonder what the weight difference would be between them. I think I seen the design. I was contemplating the same thing as I usually grill a fair amount of fish when hiking. A one inch stick would be fairly easy to find to make this happen… could probably get away with 6 spokes or so… probably half a spoke per

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That "pinch" might be way more difficult than you planned.

If you really want to build something, OK.

Otherwise, if you go to a Dollar Store (especially the Japanese store called Daiso), they sell little super lightweight wire grills made out if SS or aluminum.
    –B.G.–

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Thats along the same lines as what I have in my pack now. Probably lighter than what I could build.

I think I tend to over thing things that are already light enough

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Your right, wasting my time. 1.2 ounces per 8 x 8 inch grill. 2 Sides come in at 2.4 ounces. I just cut down a flippable kind of grill from walmart. Could probably cut it down more if I need to

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Its possible to form ti with a butane torch. The kind like small soldering torches. I have formed 1/8 inch ti stakes this way. I believe that this works because ti is actually a poor conductor of heat, so temp builds up in a small localized area because heat is not conducted away as fast as alum or steel. Heat to cherry red and form as you go by burnishing with a rod (screw driver, chisel ect.)

good luck

This is a repeat of an earlier post.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

why not use tent stakes instead of spokes. If you get those thin alluminum ones I mean. Well I suppose the downside is that stakes get dirt on them (naturally) and you wouldnt want to grill on dirt.

Anyways, just an idea.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Aluminum will melt.

Jens Aarnaes
    BPL Member

@finnmark

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have posted this before but think it may be worth re-posting with a photo. I carry stainless steel safety wire (see your local aircraft mechanic for some) which I use for a variety of repair tasks AND as a grill. The photo tells more about how it is made than I can hereBackpack grill.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

That's a great idea Jens, versatile, lightweight, efficient!

And your roast is making me feel hungry! (o:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools