Topic

Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Devin

That's a wonderful video. My only comment is that I can't see how the tool actually touches the metal – but that can be tricky to film.

Mind you, I had to laugh when I compared the first wood-turning lathe you bought with this spinning lathe. The difference in strength and construction between the two is HUGE!

Good Luck!
    Cheers

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks Roger!

I laugh about a lot of the details of where this project began. :) That lathe was certainly not an item that I could go the "cheap and easy to get" route.

Here's a video of a guy that's a good bit faster than I am, with a better vantage point. In my defense, the parts I'm spinning are larger, and I'm obviously a bit newer at it.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

Been watching blog, but haven't seen an update here for a while. Looks very cool and I can't wait until they are available.

I watched the video above – I think he is faster because he streamlined his hands – those extra digits just get in the way.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hey Mike! Sorry, the blog is back up and running. I was out for essentially all of last week.

I took another look at the video, too. I think that, all things considered, I'll keep all my fingers and not go too crazy with the lathe. :)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Devin, just curious to know if you have any new updates? I haven't seen much change on the blog lately and was wondering how things were going. Thanks and best of luck!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hi Konrad,

I've been buried under other work, but I have most of the pieces made and ten kettles completed (minus the finishing work that has to be done out-of-house). I'm getting back to some emails and updating the blog today, but will be out of town for most of this month. I should be able to hit the ground running in August and finally get them out to all you wonderfully patient people shortly thereafter.

Sorry for the wait, and thanks for keeping up!

Best,
    Devin

J D

@mustardman

Glad to hear all is well, Devin – I was starting to worry when I didn't see any updates on the blog. Glad to hear you are OK and things are still moving along.

P ritch

@flix

Locale: Seattle area

Thanks for the update, Devin. The anodizing looks cool! How has it held up to use?

J D

@mustardman

Haven't heard from you in a while, Devin – I hope the trip went well and all is OK over on your end.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

is this still happening?

-Tim

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

Would love to know….

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Hello Devin,

Are you out there?

Z

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I figured I'd try to give this thread another bump. I sent Devin a PM a week ago or so, but it's been unanswered. I'm just hoping everything is okay. His last post was concerning a trip announcement. Since then, he hasn't posted, and has left all his blogs/photostreams un-updated. Seems very uncharacteristic of Devin, considering he was so quick to respond to our comments and thank us for any praise given.

Devin, if you're out there, what's going on buddy? Everything cool?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

I've been lurking too… hope all is well devin

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Yep, I've been checking aswell. Still interested. Looks like he was off hiking the Sierra High Route.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

If you read Devin's blog (updated last week) you'll find out some very interesting (if infuriating) information. Some person appears to have stolen his idea and is marketing them as "MKettle":

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?27228-MKettle-Review

Unfortunately the aforementioned individual is in the UK so we can't just show up at his door and yell at him (I was going to say "give him a proper trouncing" but don't want to be accused of online threats, since I'd only actually do that in my mind).

Devin is now back in school so is looking at other sources of manufacturing his kettle in order to get them shipped. He seems quite philosophical about the situation, though he IS going to law school, and may eventually find a proper method of revenge. :) I wish you the best of luck in that, Devin, and I don't mind waiting as long as it takes for YOUR kettle.

P.S. I just went to the mkettle.com site and see a picture taken by…Dr. Ryan Jordan???

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

" though he IS going to law school, and may eventually find a proper method of revenge."

I suspect that he won't need to do anything to exact revenge, since the mKettle weighs close to 3x what Devin's does :)

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools