Topic

Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Busted. Totally busted. :)

mori costantino
    BPL Member

@mori

Locale: urban urbane

Just a thought for handling the kettle when hot.
    I use one of those Lance Armstrong type "live Strong" silicon bracelets around my steel water bottle/canteen to handle it when I boil water over a fire (cap off of course).
    The silicon material can handle approximately 600 degrees F.

I have also seen a silicon band used around the caldera keg.

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Mori,

That is a great idea, and very light.

Devin, maybe there is room in your design for this idea ?

Z.

J D

@mustardman

I can't definitely commit to buying one, but I'd like to be added to the notification list – I signed up here pretty much just for this. I'll shoot you a message with my email address. Thanks!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks JD! I got your PM and replied there, too.

Mori & Tom (silicone band)- I love silicone. I know that sounds weird, but it's just so appealing as a design material: it has excellent thermo properties, can be food safe, and just feels really good. I'm planning on using a silicone stopper for the kettles.

I've tried using a silicone band (in several positions) to pick up the kettle but always find that it is a bit to hot for me to handle comfortably. I think they work with the Caldera Keg so well because of the low thermal mass of the thin aluminum and the fact that where you pick it up isn't in direct contact with the boiling water. The aluminum in this kettle is several times thicker, and asks more of the insulating material.

In the short term, I'm pretty willing to make reasonable customizations for this first batch. Everyone on this forum has been so supportive, and I just really like you guys. In the long term, I'd really like to have two standard models that I make: One that is as stripped down as possible (kettle, silny stuff sack, maybe stopper) for those who are very concerned with weight, and one that is more user friendly (kettle, stopper, lifting device of some sort, carrying device of some sort, maybe a nesting mug) for those who are less concerned with weight than they are with ease of use.

So I guess what I'm saying is please do try the silicone bands and other insulators once you recieve the kettle. I'm really excited to see the different configurations that are possible, but can only provide a limited number that will actually ship with the kettle.

P ritch

@flix

Locale: Seattle area

Very cool, Devin! Does that mean I'm in for #5? :)

I'm hoping the final version will have a spout and abail as well. Looking forward to more pictures and or videos.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Flix! You are #5 indeed!

Unfortunately, the final version will not have a spout as there is no cost effective way that I can incorporate one at present. I think you'll find that it operates perfectly well without one.

The standard version will also not have a bail for the reasons I listed earlier in this thread. I may be able to install one as a custom option for you, but I strongly recommend against it. Stay tuned for the final lifting solution that I offer, I think that you'll prefer it to a bail.

Thanks for your support!

-Devin

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I reckon a Jetboil Cargo Cozy would work as its neoprene, built to withstand boiling water temps' and has a handle built in which will aid pouring.

I use one on my stainless steel Guyot bottle for this purpose.

Perhaps something along these lines, as it will help boiling times, retain water temp' and provide a handle and 'hand warmer' wrap! (o:

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hi Callahan,

Thanks! A neoprene cozy is exactly what I'm planning (as an option) for many of the reasons you cite. It also protects the metal for those who are concerned about it. One difference is that it won't have an additional handle. Because the kettle doesn't have a top lip like the Jetboil, the cozy slides right off if you try to lift it by such a handle (I've tried it). The cozy will have a snug fit, and stays cool enough to lift without a handle.

Best,
    Devin

Mike Mullen

@unclemjm

Locale: Texas

Nothing like a first post to say, "All the cool kids are doing it so I want to as well."

Yes, please add me to the list for whatever production level has room.

Bob Summers

@sm498

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'd like to be in the 2nd batch, especially if you can get it hard anodized – pink is fine :-)

Cody Landry

@cody1786

I definately want one. I'm in the Navy and may be out to sea before your next run.

Thanks!

Charles S. Forstall

@csforstall

Locale: The Appalachian Foothills of TN

I would like one. How soon till the next batch?

Cool stuff

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks guys! I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to some of you, but you're all on the list.

Mike: this does actually make you a "cool kind," so good call

Bob: yours will be pink ;)

Cody: thank you, sincerely, for your service. I now have all three email addresses, so you can feel free to take them down if you wish.

Charles: I'm hesitant to put a date on the second batch, but can say that I will be moving on to making them with all due haste once I finish the first group. It's really important to me to get these out and into your hands soon.

Best,
    Devin

Paul Smith

@ingoti

Locale: MN

Please add me to your list.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Devin, Please add me to your list. Glad to see you stuck with the project! Mike

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

You're on there, Paul!

You, too Mike! I remember your post from way back in annals of the original thread. Welcome back and thanks for your support! Where in Pa are you?

Robert Moore

@medicineman999

Locale: northeast TN 4000 feet up

Reading the entire thread give me an American like chill regarding the genius of design, perseverance, determination, and just sheer will power. Please put me on the list (I think I'm already there, just making it official)!

Travis Naibert

@outwest

What about an alcohol burning version?

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

I want one, please put me on the list. thanks, jim

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Robert!

Travis – several folks have asked this question, and with good reason. At present, I'm focusing on the basic kettle. Most small alcohol stoves would probably work moderately well in the stock kettle. The key seems to be blocking off part of the chimney so that exhaust gases spend more time in contact with the walls. I hope early adopters give several configurations a try, but an optimized solution from me on this is a ways down the road.

Jim – Thanks! You're on there!

Al Girling

@al_girling

Locale: North Yorkshire, UK

This looks like a great little stove. Would you ship one to the UK and what would that push the price to.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

any idea when the first production will be done? also if you want to post any more pics, I'm sure we will all salivate ;)

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

I joined this forum after coming across this and after reading your original posts on the process…..

I'm just an occasional day hiker….

I'll send you $60 and I don't even care if you ever make me one….

If it makes you feel better I spent $18,000 on a skid steer, just to move hay and manure to feed a couple of beef cattle for kicks.

The rabbit hole sure is deep…isn't it?

Dinsdale

Russ Harper

@russ_harper

Please put me on the list also.

Russ Harper

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools