Topic

Minimal hiking shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Minimal hiking shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I've heard they're being discontinued for a 101 that has a thinner rock plate and looks flashier. I'll probably buy a couple more pairs when they hit clearance.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

This might sound crazy, but as a long time skateboarder, I can attest that most (barring some newer designs(nike)), meet the criteria listed in the OP.

Skateshoes by many brands like Lakai, IPath, Supra, older Vans styles, etc, have flat soles (this is basically one of two schools of thought in shoe type for skaters), that are pliable and relatively thin, which allows for higher board feel, no arch support, and are generally nearly indestructible. They have super high abrasion resistance as a rule, and generally deal with repeated wetting without issue. Super flat low-tops to super high hi-tops are available.

Weight can vary alot.

Actually, the IPaths I used to wear were the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Only since I started trying to force myself to like Inov8s have I started having foot problems.

Maybe its just what my feet are used to.

Anyway, skateshoes have, until recently been made by and large by companies owned by the athletes of the sport, and thus have reflected that in design. Recently Nike and a few others have entered into the market, and are starting to apply alot of the same bad technology they include in other sport-centric shoes, so you'd have to be wary of that.

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools