Topic

Minimal hiking shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Minimal hiking shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but check out Minnetonka Moccasins. I have the pair in the link below, and though I've not worn it on long hikes, I wear them around town and have walked a few short trails with them. I've had them for 2 years and are still holding up great.

http://www.moccasinsales.com/minnetonka_men's_leather_laced_softsole.htm

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Check out Steger (www.mukluks.com) for moccasins, they have more than just mukluks.*

*Not affiliated, just a happy customer!

edited to correct link (thanks Andrew)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As for the martial arts shoes mentioned above:
    Just received them- no good.
    They look very simple online but are actually quite heavy. The sole is pretty weird too, they just feel strange.
    Hey $14…I'll donate them to someone.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Thanks for the site Steve. Just want to point out that the url is http://www.mukluk.com.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Thanks for the moc links Steve and Travis.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

@Andrew: thanks for the heads-up I had a typo in the link. Fixed in my post above! It looks like both of us are having trouble typing the URL … ;-)

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

I just purchased NB MT100's no miles in them yet running or hiking. Sized up a half size to fit some Rocky GTX socks in them when needed. Along with a liner sock, this setup feels great while walking around the house. Almost a perfect fit dare I say.

Nextweekend I will be testing it out along the MA/CT border Mt. Everett. With 25lbs pack

We will see how that goes.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Has anyone tried these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqn_riEIFBw

Patagonia's diy moccasin shoes.
    I cannot find anywhere that actually sells them though!
    Im not sure about the seam on the bottom'/sides.
    Its a good idea though. They should take it further and try other designs.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Check out this 3rd party review of a line of shoe that Russell Moccasin Company made for a guy that spends a lot of time in Barefoot Ted's Google Group Forum. They are extremely picky about their minimalist shoes on that forum!! They would even say that the MT100 does not qualify as a true minimalist footwear as it has a slightly raised padded heal!!

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/product_reviews/minimalist_footwear.html

I don't remember if it was in this article or not, but somewhere on their site it says that the first person that thru-hiked the AT was wearing Russell Moccasins. Pretty cool!

They also make a few models of "stalking" moccasins which is just a leather bottom. Doesn't get much more minimalist than that.

I would love to buy a pair of their shoes, but they start out around $200 and go up pretty quickly from there. Not in my budget at the moment.

Cool thing about them is that they are a true custom made shoe as you send in an outline of your foot to make the shoe.

Even though they are pricey, they will outlast any trail running shoe by a long shot. There not going to be as breathable as a mesh shoe, but it sounds like from the article referenced above that they are not too bad.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Some more thoughts I have as far as heal strike and hiking in minimalist shoes…

I have been running in Vibram Fivefingers and Feelmax shoes for the last six months and have found that I now much prefer to walk in a minimalist shoe whether it's in the workplace, around town or on the trail. My running and my walking have both converted to a forefoot strike instead of a heal strike (only really possible in a minimalist shoe!).

I hiked 22 miles on the Superior Hiking Trail in my Inov8 295's last weekend and found that much of the time I was stepping down forefoot or midfoot. I only used the Inov8 because I don't yet have an appropriate minimalist shoe for the conditions that I was in. Fortunately the Inov8 design is about as minimalist as you can get when it comes to a trail running shoe.

Only on easy flat ground walking do I step on my heal first, and then it is directly under me instead of out in front of me as I used to do. This results in a real quick roll to the ball of the foot. My knees stay bent through this motion.

Going downhill or uphill I am always stepping on the ball of my foot. On the downhills, this has relieved a lot of stress/impact on my knees as your muscles and tendons absorb the impact instead of the joints. It is a little awkward at first, but if you keep your feet under you instead of out in front of you, it works really well. I really believe this is how we were designed to walk.

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been backpacking in sandals for the last two years and I love it. Before that, trail runners.
    I bought Five Fingers last year and am still breaking them in, but I like them a lot.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Did my first trip last weekend in this setup, 45 degrees out, clear and sunny. Crossed a few streams and shoes dried in minutes and never let a drop touch my skin. Support was adequate for my pack weight 25lbs. Feet felt great at the end of the weekend

Except one issue which is my own doing. One of my legs is slightly shorter than the other (5mm) So I purchased a full lenght foot lift to raise my left foot up 5mm while maintaining a minimal heel lift (benefit of MT100's),(It works great in leveling me out, I really notice it while doing squats, balance is improved) any way the issue I ran in to is on the outside of my left foot on the side equal to the balls of my foot I was sliding to much streatching the fabric and putting pressure and causing discomfort in that area. The reason is I feel my fore foot was rasied to much out of the foot chassis. I think this can be solved by going from a 5mm raise in the back to a 2 or 3mm raise in the front. (They come in 1mm sheets) Also I could do some adjustment to the way I tie my shoes up. I think it shouldbe fine after that.

http://gwheellift.com/footlift.html

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Piper: I have been hiking and trail running in Feelmax Osma shoes for about a month and really like them so far. No support, flat sole, but otherwise look like a normal shoe. No tread to speak of, but surprisingly good grip with a bottom that is basically a recycled tire. That is often the case with minimalist shoes because you get more traction from your feet and less from the shoe. You may want to give them a try. I went up one size to get a good fit because they run a bit small.

Here's a picture of them next to my New Balance MR 790's, which are very flat and light for trail shoes, but the Osmas are even flatter in the heel as you can see:

Osma

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

So you guys don't have traction issues with running flats? I would think on steep wet rock this would be an issue. Is it?

I find just with trail runners I tend to slip although I do adjust my gait and foot placement accordingly.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I just got a pair of Feelmax Osmas. I'm going to bring them backpacking this weekend. I don't think I can go the whole distance in them, but I will try to go part of the way. I'm bringing some superfeet insoles, just the hard plastic part, just in case the trail is too rocky.

So far just wearing them to run some errands today, I really like them. But I can tell my feet and ankles have some work to do to get in shape.

I also ordered the MT 100s but they have not come yet. Those black new balance in the picture look good.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I brought my Feelmax shoes backpacking and wore them for about 4 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday. On Sunday I could feel all my sore muscles. It's amazing how many muscles do not get used when you wear shoes. I also noticed I have a tendency to crash down on my heels when I want to walk fast, so that will have to change if I want to have knees when I'm 60.

It was an extraordinary experience. I liked the way the soft earth feels walking through an old pasture. I liked just walking with my feet on the trail. So often it seems I hope that my performance walking on the trail has something to do with my shoes, but in these shoes, it's all me and my feet. It is really amazing to know that my feet are what goes the distance, not my footwear, if that makes any sense.

I am sore, though. There are a lot of muscles, from my thighs down to my toes, that have to be built back up. It's a good sore, though.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

From reading over these threads on minimal footwear and looking at my evolving attitude on the subject, it really occurs to me that most people are downright scared of just going all the way and ditching the shoes completely. I was certainly one of them.

I remember the first time I took a run from my house and intentionally left my shoes behind: a little scary.

People look at you weird.
    You're afraid of getting hurt.
    You're afraid that you'll make it some distance out and be reduced to limping home, totally dejected, looking like a fool, waiting to hear everyone say they told you so.

But as I run and hike more and more completely barefoot, I realize a few things:
    Aside from people looking at me weird, none of the other things have happened.

And I'm finding it's not that bad! In fact, it feels really good- tiptoeing through rougher trail sections only to be rewarded later with soft, cool, powder-like dirt…It's an entirely different experience, a way to really tune in to your body and your surroundings, a sort of meditation. It takes a different sort of concentration. It's especially amazing how quiet you become. In my experience, footwear kills this, however minimal.

I recently tried a pair of Five Fingers, wondering how close it could bring me to the "barefoot" experience, wanting to try them out for myself after hearing so much about them. I didn't like them, but that's not the point-
    I was really hit hard with the strange realization that I was spending $90 for shoes that would make me barefoot. I've thought about trying Feelmax shoes as well.

But wearing shoes is not going barefoot.

Now I'm not preaching right or wrong, just rambling some thoughts away…Do what works for you, I won't be bothered.
    I certainly couldn't have done the run I did today anywhere near as fast without shoes. There's a place for it all.

But if I'm going barefoot, I think I want to be barefoot.

I'm no purist on the subject (not yet anyway…I think?), but I have to wonder if part of this minimal "barefoot" footwear thing is just playing on people's fears of going truly barefoot and, of course, finding another thing to sell. Perhaps it's also just offering a quick and easy fix: rather than spending the time, energy, and yes, some pain, conditioning yourself to TRULY run barefoot, just put these on and call it "barefoot"…

But it's not barefoot…it's something else.

Brian UL

@maynard76

You are all so lucky. I still don't know of any good minimal footwear that comes in wide. I have to use cheap water shoes and those aren't quite wide enough either.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I think a third choice between built-up shoes and barefoot is necessary. The ground gets very hot in So Cal, and many of the leaves on the ground have sharp thorns on them. It's good moccasin country here and what better moccasins could you ask for than breathable mesh ones?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Actually, I think is on to the answer… just run barefoot. The Vibrams do one thing, get you close without conditioning the bottoms of your feet. Other than that, I cannot see anything else they provide.

So why is there a market for VFFs? I think it is because most people do not have enough time to walk, hike, or run barefooted. It takes time to "toughen up" the feet. And going bare-footed enough just does not fit into most people's lifestyle/social/work schedule. When I was a kid, we went bare-footed all summer and even played baseball and football in the street (asphalt). We could put out a burning cigarette barefooted, with no pain.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This is a personal subject…I hope I don't come off as preachy, I only speak for myself.

Forgive my rant here, but I think a lot about this.
    I went for a 3.6 short run today. At 1 mile in, hitting the trail, I was tempted to take my shoes off. Why? I guess it was in the spirit of seeing how it would feel today. But I left my shoes on, deciding instead to focus on running a little faster, something I can't do barefoot. Today simply wasn't that type of day.

But I had a great one last week. 4 miles of slow barefoot running up a local canyon. Cool dirt beneath my toes and nothing in my head but breathing and the feeling of the ground.

Why run barefoot?
    I think there are many advantages that can be gained in form. My joints are far better off for it and I recover faster.

But once you understand the form, I suppose the main benefits from continuing it are therapeutic and perhaps philosophical. I don't know. I'm still learning here.

Barefoot is therapeutic in that I believe it really helps strengthen the feet and help maintain form. Barefoot running on grass, at least for me, is a great recovery from harder runs.

Philosophical benefits come in the form of purity and a different sort of presence. Mindfulness: this is very much the essence of running for most, isn't it? Simply experiencing your being, letting go to those great moments when you're no longer aware that you're working…your mind is settled and everything flows. Those that run are probably well aware of the different mental states one goes through within a single run or depending on the type of run; long vs. slow, flats vs. hills, etc. I've always marvelled at the fact that, especially on long runs, I can experience complete blissful elation and run with an ear to ear grin and only moments later find myself in the depths of some horrible darkness, swearing that running is insane and nothing but suffering. And ten minutes later I can forget I'm even there. This is really fascinating to me.

I'm finding that barefoot is just a whole new trip within running, producing a new sort of running consciousness. It feels good to be connected, to feel the ground. Yes, there are plenty of painful moments and sharp rocks out there, but they get more tolerable with time as my feet toughen. But the majority of my barefoot runs are very comfortable, they just have to go slower. But by going slower and entering a different mindset, these runs take on a different character from those when I'm wearing shoes. Shoes allow you to stomp things, to not think about where your feet go. Shoes make you loud and they can make you clumsy. Bare feet make you pay attention.

In my experience, running in minimal footwear certainly helps with the therapeutic and technique-oriented side of the equation. You're practicing a more natural form, stretching the feet, working all the micro muscles, tendons, etc.

But barefoot brings in the philosophical and truly minimalist side of running. It probably sounds awful romantic (I daresay even "cheesy") to many, but I really enjoy feeling "naked" on runs. No stuff, no accessories, no labels and gadgetry, just a body moving through space patiently, quietly, and efficiently. For this I think I'm willing to put in the time and pain to toughen the soles so I can extend the distances I can travel barefoot. I guess it's all just a fondness for minimalism, something I think many BPLers can certainly relate to.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Well, there is running barefoot and then there is backpacking barefoot. Backpacking is what I was doing. I walk home from work barefoot about a mile almost daily but pavement really is as unnatural as shoes. it's easy to walk barefoot on the sidewalk. Since I walk barefoot daily, I was surprised how similar hiking on trails with Feelmax was to being barefoot. In fact, it felt more barefoot than wearing them walking on the sidewalk.

I don't know how much backpacking I can do wearing moccasins or less. At some point, to get the big miles in or to survive certain trail conditions, I'm going to want shoes. It would be nice to have good shoes that didn't have motion control, stiff soles, arch support, high heels, narrow toebox and a shape that isn't foot-like. I really wish I could find a good "minimal" hiking shoe.

At this point, I'm hoping the MT100s or similar, and possibly even really minimal ones like the Feelmax, will suffice until they start making better ones. But really they are both somewhat inadequate. Mostly because the MT100s still have most of the things on my list above and because the Feelmax probably would not offer enough protection from heat and long stretches of sharp rocks.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Two reasons why I wear minimalist footwear:

1. Cold weather. I live in MN and going barefoot is really only feasible 6 months of the year. On the flip side, I wore my VFF KSO's down to 0F with two pair of socks.

2. Darkness. I get up at 5 am to go running and therefore can't see very well where I'm stepping even with a flashlight. My fivefingers and my Feelmax Osmas give me enough protection as there is glass and chunks of road salt on the road and trail.

I have done a little barefoot running and hiking, but the above two factors limit my options a lot.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I fore go your protection requirements and do my warm weather light-level hiking in flip-flops, if not barefoot where the terrain allows. I did do Tuckerman's last April in flip-flops and there was still a decent amount of snow on the ground.

Anything short of lots of snow I have me Teva "multi-sport" sandals. But I'm a "sandal guy", I grew up in SoCal and only wore shoes to play soccer, we'd run on the beach barefoot, etc. Since moving to the Northeast my motto is "as long as there's no snow on the ground"…

You may want to try "skater shoes" or something like Sanuk's Sidewalk Surfers:
    http://www.sanuk.com/products/341036
    They even have some with a good level of insulation for winter conditions. I know REI carries a decent selection of their stuff. I swear by Sanuk's footwear, I think I own something like 8 pairs of their sandals…

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I tried out the NB MT100s this weekend. They seemed to work well. They are pretty minimal, that's for sure. I could feel the ground well beneath me. There's barely any heel so when I was running part of the way, the heel didn't get in the way. Later it felt like new muscles in my feet and ankles got a workout. That's good. I hope they keep making these shoes and don't change them. Well, maybe they could make them out of something that doesn't smell like chemicals.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools