Topic

So, What’s an UL Weight? SUL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion So, What’s an UL Weight? SUL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

I'm just curious as to what everyone sees as an ultralight base weight. We can extend that a little further to bring in peoples thoughts on Super Ultralight base weights.

Bring on the opinions!

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. This subject is nearly impossible to search the forums for)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah it's been discussed a lot. There are varying opinions but generally it's:

<5 lbs – SUL
    <10 lbs – UL
    <20 lbs – Lightweight
    >20 lbs – Traditional

Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

Thanks Dan.

Sorry to bring it up, since it's been discussed before. Very interesting though!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Some peg Ultralight at <12, and lightweight in the low 20's. There's no hard rule about it, as Dan said.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

You left out XUL(sub 3lb base weight)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have a base weight around 9 LBS but I am 6'3 235. Is there a ratio depending on you height and weight. The Skerkas and Jordans of the BPL community are tiny compared to to me-they have very lightweight packs but I almost way 100 LBS more then them. Maybe I am SUL because of my weight and height.. Are there any math peolpe that can make a equation are a ratio based on Dans numbers and body weight and size?

Just curious….

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

You left out XUL(sub 3lb base weight)

Ha! :D I give up.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

XUL is sub-5 lb full skin out weight i.e. everything you are carrying and wearing.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

This whole topic was pretty well explored in a thread called Backpacking Weight Ranks

One idea for XUL was <5 lbs FSO (SUL is < 5 lbs base weight).

Jay,
    Just for you — that thread had a tongue-in-cheek notion invented by Dean Fellabaum called PWI (Pack Weight Index).

— MV

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Robert, I will check it out.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

WAS it tongue-in-cheek??? :o)

And, Jay, if you are looking for a metric to define how hard it is for you to carry a pack of a given weight compared to an "average" 5'10" hiker, then you want PWIn or EPW. (But I think EPW is a better metric. See the last page of that thread.)

BUT if you just want an idea of how much harder it is for you to lighten your pack because some of your gear must be bigger, then you want HAPWE.

I have defined HAPWE and EPW as the "standard" metrics, and have abandoned the archaic PWI and PMI.

Again, Ryan, be sure to get it all correct in your next edition, and spell my name correctly. :o)

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

> WAS it tongue-in-cheek??? :o)

Beats me … only the author knows, and I doubt he is telling.

But there were clues … let everyone read and decide for themselves …

— MV

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jay I think you're super. I too am 6'3" 220lbs 9 pound base as well. That is SUL as far as I'm concerned. We are bigger if anyone wants to disagree ;-)

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

nm

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Dean, That's a whole lot of info- I get it-I think!!! I JUST NEED TO LOOSE SAY 10 LBS ON THE HOOF!

-Jay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools